HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5,671 of 20,374

So apart from Microphonics, is there any other enhancement of Sunset Headphone cable ?

I'm still confused the difference between

Sunset Headphone Cable vs. 8 Strand SPC Headphone Cable

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,672 of 20,374
Quote:
So apart from Microphonics, is there any other enhancement of Sunset Headphone cable ?

I'm gonna say you should ask Brian.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5,674 of 20,374
Not feeling brave enough to open that can of worms?

yes I have sent out email from the website, but so far been 3 days with no reply, i guess he's busy with his order.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,675 of 20,374
I had an HE-500 before and sold it off for an LCD-2. I'm going back (well, student loans are forcing me, but it's for the best anyway!).

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5,676 of 20,374

Quote:
I'm gonna say you should ask Brian.
wink.gif

Quote:

Not feeling brave enough to open that can of worms?

yes I have sent out email from the website, but so far been 3 days with no reply, i guess he's busy with his order.

Hah! I guess you didn't quite catch what I was getting at. The changes in sound quality due to different wires is a very hotly (and nearly religiously) debated topic among all audio enthusiasts, and is no different on head-fi.

Some people will say wiring makes 0 difference.
Some will say it makes a little difference.
Others will say it makes a big difference. 

Everyone's got their own beliefs on it, and are fervent about said beliefs. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #5,678 of 20,374
Quote:

Hah! I guess you didn't quite catch what I was getting at. The changes in sound quality due to different wires is a very hotly (and nearly religiously) debated topic among all audio enthusiasts, and is no different on head-fi.

Some people will say wiring makes 0 difference.
Some will say it makes a little difference.
Others will say it makes a big difference. 

Everyone's got their own beliefs on it, and are fervent about said beliefs. 

I just want to add that Tyll found nothing audible ( http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one ) so I will never buy a non-stock cable in my life. But, you are right about everyone's beliefs. Everyone has different hearing, expectations, money, etc.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #5,679 of 20,374
Quote:
I just want to add that Tyll found nothing audible ( http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one ) so I will never buy a non-stock cable in my life. But, you are right about everyone's beliefs. Everyone has different hearing, expectations, money, etc.

The Famous Tyll from Innerfidelity? OMG. I guess all arguments to the contrary are dead in the water now. Wow I'm glad everything is settled forever. I think you should quickly spread this amazing news to the sound science forums so everyone can stop arguing.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #5,680 of 20,374
Quote:

Quote:
The Famous Tyll from Innerfidelity? OMG. I guess all arguments to the contrary are dead in the water now. Wow I'm glad everything is settled forever. I think you should quickly spread this amazing news to the sound science forums so everyone can stop arguing.

Easy now, eeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssy. HEY HEY! Put down the pitchforks! 

As you can see, this is a slightly heated topic. I only wanted to give a bit of subjective understanding to a person who hasn't been introduced to the cable debate, not start a debate here. Let's not make this thread a train wreck. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #5,681 of 20,374

Just get a toxic Black widow 22awg cable..best cable i had until now for my he500...excellent built quality,gorgeous looking, no microphobics, bass is real bass, mids are velvetly and that treble.. :wink: and its comparitive affordable :D
I myself could buy a more expensive silver cable..and i tried one..but it was to bright for my he500 in combination with the rest of my rig...imho.. For the he500 u wont regret buying a toxic black widow 22awg awg guys :wink: thats why i just got myself a completely balanced cable in 8wire version of the BW 22awg....two cables from beginning to end..one for left and one for right..i think this is my endgame cable :D

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #5,682 of 20,374
Quote:
Hi everyone,  I am a new owner of the HE500.  One problem I am having is with the stock cable rubbing and the noise goes all the way up to the cups.  What's option to address this issue?
Please don't say "get a new better cable"  cuz I am not ready for that just yet. 
tongue.gif
Other than this issue, I am loving the HPs so far.  Zero EQ and these headphones sound wonderful.  I am rocking thru my favorite flamenco guitar collection. Thx ahead.

Try shortening the cable by looping the cable (big loops, don't bend it) to the length you need, and hold the loops together with a bag tie or adjustable zip tie. This works well for me.

Also I've read that others recommend making loops after the Y-separation just under each connection to the headphone, as this will reduce microphonics further. I've havn't tried this one, but others claim it works well.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #5,683 of 20,374
In my case microphonic noise occurs only when the two wires above the Y-split rub together or rub against something metallic in my clothes. No microphonics from the long intertwined cable below the Y-split. So I just kept the two wires as far apart as possible. 

Also you may want to check if the two connnectors to the cups are attached tightly. In my experience, microphonic noise worsens if one or both are just a bit loose.

My suggestion is to give the stock cable a chance; just continue using it for the time being. Pretty soon you might get used to it. These are heavy headphones, anyway, and most likely you won't be moving about a lot while using them. Of course, if it continues to bother you then it's on to other options.

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #5,684 of 20,374
I might be in a minority, but I haven't had any issues with the stock cable.  It's a cable and seems to do what it's supposed to do.  :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5,685 of 20,374
Quote:
Just get a toxic Black widow 22awg cable..best cable i had until now for my he500...excellent built quality,gorgeous looking, no microphobics, bass is real bass, mids are velvetly and that treble..
wink.gif
and its comparitive affordable
biggrin.gif

I myself could buy a more expensive silver cable..and i tried one..but it was to bright for my he500 in combination with the rest of my rig...imho.. For the he500 u wont regret buying a toxic black widow 22awg awg guys
wink.gif
thats why i just got myself a completely balanced cable in 8wire version of the BW 22awg....two cables from beginning to end..one for left and one for right..i think this is my endgame cable
biggrin.gif

Yes, by all means DO get a toxic cable.  Be prepared to be strung along every few weeks that it's in the next batch.  Be prepared to wait at least 6 months.  Do NOT consider similar cables for similar prices from people who keep them in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back