HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 30, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #5,191 of 20,386
Quote:
Nope? Aware me? Im no good at modding if it involves alot of that

It involves some modding, yes. Go search for it, if you actually like the pleather sound as much or close to as much as the velour sound, I'd say the mod is for you.

May 30, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #5,192 of 20,386
I will check these suggestions out. Thank you

edit: the jergmod is way out of my modding skillz lol 

what are the best aftermarket pads? 

May 30, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #5,193 of 20,386
Quote:
I will check these suggestions out. Thank you

edit: the jergmod is way out of my modding skillz lol 

what are the best aftermarket pads? 

i bought original denon pads from lawtonaudio but i haven´t tried it yet
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #5,195 of 20,386
looks really good. :) put me on the list for ordering when your ready.

May 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #5,197 of 20,386
Quote:
Prototype 2: (and possibly the final design)
This idea came to me last night after thinking about vintage AKG studio model headbands - I know it's not the same, but they're one of the most complex headbands ever and simultaneously seem to present a set of solutions to problems they naturally create by their own flaws, which increases the number of parts (which means more things can go wrong).
I concluded that my first design was connecting to the headband in the wrong place.

With this design, the adjustment is done by the Hifiman headband (the headband never changes size - just the position of the earcups on the head changes) which naturally serves a wider range of head sizes, increases design simplicity and therefore keeps costs down. (these high quality pop-fasteners aren't exactly cheap for what they are)
The only possible weak link is the effects of weight on leather over time, although only the small pop-fastener part would need to be replaced in the event of material failure. I think if I produce any more, it will include a layer of fabric underneath to increase long-term durability. 

A natural bi-product of this design is that the suede-like underside of the leather grips quite well - this is good if you want it; I know some people have complained in the past about the headphones wobbling on the head - this headband helps reduce that effect considerably.

This design seems more practical, utilizing the adjuster bars.  Simplicity is genius!  
biggrin.gif
  Looks just as good as the previous designs, like it's part of the headphone.  The only potential worry would be putting extra force on the adjuster housings, but they seem pretty durable already so that shouldn't be a problem.  I too opted for the nicer button/fasteners - they look really nice and that comes with a small premium, but those could be substituted with something more cost effective for those on a budget.

May 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5,198 of 20,386
Quote:
The headphone out seems like it is quite inferior, and there aren't many specs posted. You should use the speaker out if you can.

Yeah, I am able to turn up the volume all the way on with the HE-500's hookedup and it isn't even that loud.

Obviously they are being underpowered and not shining through. Lyr best bet or what?

May 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #5,199 of 20,386
That or speaker amp. Be aware that you cannot necessarily hook the 500 directly to a tube amp

May 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #5,200 of 20,386
I use a Headstage Arrow (DX100 DAP as source) to drive my HE-500. Works very well. Enough power to get pretty good dynamics.

May 31, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #5,203 of 20,386
How long have you had the he-500? I barely heard the difference in the beginning

May 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #5,204 of 20,386
Quote:
@Poltergiest8108

I have a Headstage Arrow 4g and want to by HE-500. What arrow do you use to drive your HE-500?

Do you use Ibasso dx-100 as dap and use the arrow as amp insted of ibasso amp. Or did I missunderstand?

For portable use the Headstage Arrow 4g is my go to amp. The Arrow drives the HE 500 with more authority than the amp in the DX 100 IMO, especially with bass extension.

May 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #5,205 of 20,386
I think a rule of thumb for doing/not doing the jergpad modding is, if you can't hear a difference between stock pleathers vs velour pads, don't even bother doing any mods.

To the inquisitive ear that is familiar with how the HE500s sound, the two pad types have fundamentally different sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back