HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #4,951 of 20,374
i wouldn't say its the best or not. theres other great options out there. would of been happy as well had it been something from double helix cables or moon audio or something. the norse one really is nice though, 

May 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #4,952 of 20,374
Quote:
... or should i get a balanced cable and banana taps for a speaker amp... i don't want to spend more than 200$

That's what I did.  You should read through this thread if you haven't already...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

I ordered the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 this morning.  For a cable, I went to the BTG-Audio site and ordered an 8-foot Sunset headphone cable, terminated in 4-pin stereo XLR, and then added a 1-foot XLR adapter cable that terminates to banana plugs.  I did it this way so I can use the same base cable with different connectors.  Buying an adapter is cheaper than buying a cable terminated with banana plugs, and another cable terminated with 1/4", etc.

I should have the amp and cable in about a week or so, and I'm looking forward to it.

--Jerome 

May 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,953 of 20,374
i wouldn't say its the best or not. theres other great options out there. would of been happy as well had it been something from double helix cables or moon audio or something. the norse one really is nice though, 

U forget one brand which is kicking butts around cable world. :D. ...toxic cables..high quality cables for reasonable prices..but i agree norse audio is good also..by the way..i have a custommade double helix molecule quicksilver cable for sale.. :wink:

May 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #4,955 of 20,374
Quote:

That's what I did.  You should read through this thread if you haven't already...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project

I ordered the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 this morning.  For a cable, I went to the BTG-Audio site and ordered an 8-foot Sunset headphone cable, terminated in 4-pin stereo XLR, and then added a 1-foot XLR adapter cable that terminates to banana plugs.  I did it this way so I can use the same base cable with different connectors.  Buying an adapter is cheaper than buying a cable terminated with banana plugs, and another cable terminated with 1/4", etc.

I should have the amp and cable in about a week or so, and I'm looking forward to it.

--Jerome 

well amps are not a problem... the cable is though... i think i should get it made from the guy who is building me a beta22... in my country importing stuff is hectic(he500 cost me more than 1k$)

May 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #4,956 of 20,374
DG, you commented on the WA2 not being able to drive the HE-500 properly some time ago, right?

May 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #4,957 of 20,374
The WA2 is an OTL design (high voltage, low current), is not an ideal match with the He-500; or any current hungry phones for that matter (K701 comes to mind). I think the WA2 put out ~400mW at max volume (slightly higher if you use 5998/7236 tube) - may need to crank the volume knob really high. Even then it may still clips/distorts 
tongue_smile.gif

May 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,959 of 20,374
Quote:
The WA2 is an OTL design (high voltage, low current), is not an ideal match with the He-500; or any current hungry phones for that matter (K701 comes to mind). I think the WA2 put out ~400mW at max volume (slightly higher if you use 5998/7236 tube) - may need to crank the volume knob really high. Even then it may still clips/distorts 
tongue_smile.gif

Well I own a WA2 and am currently using it with my HE-500s, and I don't agree that it can't drive the HE-500s and produce satisfying sound.  On my WA2 the highest I can go on the volume knob before it becomes painfully loud is 1 O'clock.  Someone else might have a different experience.  I'm using Tungsol 7236 power tubes, NOS Amperex Bugle Boy drive tubes, and NOS Tung Sol 6X4 black gate rectifier tubes.

My point is that I think it would be wrong to discourage people who own a WA2 from buying the HE-500s, or try to convince them a new amp absolutely must be part of the deal.  I think it will depend on what music you like and how loud you listen.  I think the WA2 can get plenty loud with the HE-500, but if you have no regard for your hearing and want ear bleed levels then there are probably better amps for the HE-500.  I can get the HE-500s to distort on the WA2, but it happens well past the point of what I consider a comfortable and safe listening volume.  

Having said that, if I did not own a headphone amp and wanted to buy one for the HE-500 I would probably get the WA6SE instead of the WA2 (if all I needed was a headphone amp).  The Emotiva Mini-x seems to be a good, inexpensive Solid State alternative.  I have ordered one and will be trying it next week to compare with my WA2.  It should be interesting.

--Jerome

May 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #4,960 of 20,374
HE-500 will sound good out of anything as far as I'm concerned. Having had the HE-500 for a year now, the HE-500 can be powered and made to sound good from anything. Used amps from 100 mW to 100 Watts - still fun as hell with all. Definitely gets better with quality and power amps though.

May 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4,961 of 20,374
Quote:
Used amps from 100 mW to 100 Watts,

LOL!  I had a Teac UD-501 DAC arrive via UPS today.  I'm using it to listen to a recording of Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 on my speaker set up.  It also has a 100mw headphone amp, and after reading your post I think I will try it with the HE-500 just for giggles.

--Jerome

May 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,963 of 20,374
Quote:

LOL!  I had a Teac UD-501 DAC arrive via UPS today.  I'm using it to listen to a recording of Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 on my speaker set up.  It also has a 100mw headphone amp, and after reading your post I think I will try it with the HE-500 just for giggles.

--Jerome

Yea, 100 mW is not the ideal situation, but the HE-500 still can sound good. I used the HE-500 with Sansa Fuze and Fiio E10 with decent results. It still retains it's character.

May 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,964 of 20,374
Surprisingly, the HE-500s sound pretty respectable on the measly 100mw that the Teac UD-501 can supply.  I have the volume cranked up all the way.  It's loud enough and doesn't distort.  But I prefer the sound of the WA2 and will continue to use it until the Emotiva arrives.

--Jerome

May 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #4,965 of 20,374
If everything was simply about getting things loud enough. I think we can all just get the Fiio E11 or even the E5 and call it a day. I believe almost all headphones will get "loud" with lots of tiny little amps or even an ipod. It takes some experience to realize it just doesn't sound right or that volume doesn't equal drive necessarily. I know analogies are pretty useless, but I always tell people I can hit 60mph using a 35 horse power engine in my car, but I would rather have 450 horses under the hood, it just feels different even at the same speed.

Edit: I would hold off on the opinions about power needs until your Emotiva comes in. I bet you'll be singing a different tune once you hook up that bad boy.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back