HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #4,847 of 20,376
Quote:
No one is saying more money means better sound..

The point is given a same fixed budget, high end headphones, even when modestly amped, will most of the time sound better than a lower end headphone paired with an expensive amp.

It's like no matter how much money you throw at the Hd800, it isn't going to be better than the 009.

unfortunately when people get the cheap amp, they don't always upgrade in the future, and then they're always bottlenecking the headphone.

and theres a ton of those threads with people buying LCD-2 or HD 800 or whatever and then asking for an amp under 150$ 

A few examples just from this thread and there are lots and lots of examples in the zillions of other threads here. Also, this "synergy" that people talk about is a potential never ending battle. I have a HiFiMAN HE-500 amp that was made to drive these headphones but there are those that would say amp xxx would be a better choice based solely on the higher cost because that's what many (most) humans do. They equate higher cost with "better" and that isn't always the case. Not in audio, not in cars, not in food, not in anything. 

Yes, higher cost equates to better in some cases but not as often as we humans like to think. In addition to the Lexicon/Oppo (I also own an Oppo and it works great), is a Snap-On 1/2 inch wrench better than a Craftsman 1/2 inch wrench because it certainly costs more? 

May 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4,848 of 20,376
How can my posts be used in this argument I don't know? If you have had both the He500 and the 6; or the 800 and 009, you'll come to the same conclusion: the (incidentally) more expensive headphones has better technical capabilities. Whether you like it or not is another matter. For instance, I know many prefer the 650 to the 800, but they can't deny the fact that the 800 is superior, no amount of expensive amping can bring the former near the technical prowess of the later.

I've always been rooting for cheaper speaker amp rather than expensive head amp in fact.

May 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #4,849 of 20,376
Quote:
The m-stage is too short for planars, sadly.
It is an excellent amp for bright dynamic headphones like the K-701 or DT-880.

It drives them to levels I would never dream of listening to tho but it's known for being warm which goes well with my DT990 but not so much with the HE500. What amp would you recommend? My budget is around £300/$450...

May 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,850 of 20,376
Quote:

It drives them to levels I would never dream of listening to tho but it's known for being warm which goes well with my DT990 but not so much with the HE500. What amp would you recommend? My budget is around £300/$450...

If you are fine with buying used - speaker tap is a good way to go. Buying new however, the UK market doesn't have much choices in the 300 quids price range. I think Zenpunk got a Little dot 6 for 350 pounds in the F/S section, if you have a balance source and can stretch your budget, it's really good value for money.

May 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,851 of 20,376

Well, it is more a matter of lack of power than tonal coloration.
The most recommended amp is the lafigaro/darkvoice, yet it is warm and smooth, like the 500s. The same goes for the LCD-2/V200 which is said to be a very good pairing. Surprisingly, both the phones and the amp are described with the exact same words (warm and punchy sound with quiet treble and narrow sound-stage) which, ad you read it, could be too much of a good thing.

For the price I don't know, a Lyr or any Audio-gd offering will have enough power to get a big sound. Big is the word that came to mind when I switched to the SA-31. The 500s were unleashed.

May 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #4,852 of 20,376
Btw Clem there's a pair of hardwired He-6 (Norse Norn 8 cable) in the F/S section in case you haven't noticed 
wink.gif

May 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4,853 of 20,376
I looked at the LD 6 for sale but I was put off by the dodgy transistor as I am not dab hand in soldering so I would not be able to replace it if it went kaput.

Quote:
The most recommended amp is the lafigaro/darkvoice, yet it is warm and smooth, like the 500s. The same goes for the LCD-2/V200 which is said to be a very good pairing. Surprisingly, both the phones and the amp are described with the exact same words (warm and punchy sound with quiet treble and narrow sound-stage) which, ad you read it, could be too much of a good thing.

For the price I don't know, a Lyr or any Audio-gd offering will have enough power to get a big sound. Big is the word that came to mind when I switched to the SA-31. The 500s were unleashed.

I also found this in the for sale forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662862/audio-gd-sa-31-headphone-amp-preamp
Might be able to get that in budget, what do you reckon?

May 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4,854 of 20,376

I agree totally with u here..i myself own a darkvoice 337 (of the last upgraded series) the sister of the lafigaro 339..allthough they pair heavenly with the he500...u still have to invest in tuberolling...as that can influence the sound hugely..or even change the gain output...until now best pair with he500 is 5998 tungsols powertubes with meshplates tungsols as drivers. U get.less warm sound but with big soundstage and oompf in the sound..very balanced in total!.

But then again..ur budget has been stretched for another 300usd..and am not even talking bout upgrading BOTH the standard powercords.as i found out it will further elevate the soundquality ( not much..but it does)
Ps..not alldarkvoice amps go well with the he500... The 3322 and 336 dont do to wellwith the he500.. I guess it has to do with power.
Funny that what u say bout the lcd2.. Ihad same experience..the v200 is wonderfull with them.

May 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,855 of 20,376
Quote:
I looked at the LD 6 for sale but I was put off by the dodgy transistor as I am not dab hand in soldering so I would not be able to replace it if it went kaput.

I also found this in the for sale forum: http://www.head-fi.org/t/662862/audio-gd-sa-31-headphone-amp-preamp
Might be able to get that in budget, what do you reckon?

Bring it to a nearest audio repair shop, you may need to contact LD to get the resistor value though. Hificollective offers repairs/recaps too. Fee will be pretty cheap since it's just replacing a single resistor.

The main thing with the SA31 is that it's US voltage, you'll need a step up transformer to use. And the importing cost will somewhat depend on the custom declaration form. That together with parcelforce fee and SUT cost makes it quite bad p/p me think.

I still recommend the speaker amp route, we got plenty of good vintage receivers locally (albeit not as wide in selection as in the US or Germany).

May 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4,857 of 20,376
on the whole expensive amp issue:

to most "normal" people we look like complete nuts. They think we are crazy for spending over thousands on headphones/audio gear. yet these same people spend thousands on a 2 week vacation. I can tell you my HE500's sound a lot better than my M50s just plugged into my computer with no amping at all, of course it sounds a lot better plugged into my LYR. IMO it's better to spend some money on good headphones and a cheap amp and then upgrade the amp as you acquire more currency.

May 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,858 of 20,376
Quote:
No one is saying more money means better sound..i myself own an excellent oppo product and i love it!.. Ithink its just about investing inito the perfect balance in ur rig..having a 1200 headphone and then using a 150 budget amp to drive it is in my eyes almost jimpossible to get that special synergy...u dont need to spend multi 1000 to get good sound out of any phone (except maybe the he6 or sr007/009)... If someone is willing to spend more then rationally acceptive..then its his/her choice..some people amoung my friends even say that my amp (dv337 with 5998 tubes) is ludacris to spend on an amp...but they do own multi thousand watches..or drive a an expensive two seater..first one only shows time..a 100 watchdoes the same..second is so small u cant even go on holiday with is with luggage...a vw golf gti does same and is much cheaper and probably more reliable also..in my eyes its not spending as much money as u can but to get ur phone to sound as best it can be...i found out myself that investing a bit more does improve the listening experience..IF U GET THAT RIGHT balance..spending money on expensive stuff just to own it because its expensive is ofcourse stupid..

I come from a matrix mstage..and i tell u..that amp is even worth double his price...and if i didnt find my recent amp i probably had him still...peace out.

You just contradicted yourself... You said "I know more money does not mean better sound" and then instantly went on to compare equipment by price bracket. Also "Ludacris" is a pop artist.... The correct spelling is "ludicrous"!

May 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #4,859 of 20,376
You just completely contradicted yourself... You said "I know more money does not mean better sound" and then instantly went on to compare equipment by price bracket. Also "Ludacris" is a pop artist.... The correct spelling is "ludicrous"!

Not really..i meant to say..more money doesnt mean better sound..but i can be! As i explained in another post! Check my post about my 337 mr. Perfect english.. So pls read it correctly..i wrote it in english..ur native language! So i thought u would understand what i meant..am glad others did..also non native english speaking people..

But my apologies for not writing perfect english..ludicrous right? Good to know...u know i am from a non english speaking country right?? We do make mistakes..So pls..before correcting me in such a matter...with exclamations??ru serious? Really?.show some respect! Thank u!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back