HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4,771 of 20,374
I just got these in today and am listening on the pleathers.  So far they're the best of the HE400 and AKG K702 65th Annies.  This is an amazing headphone, and I'm listening on the O2, which supposedly is not the best pairing.

May 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #4,772 of 20,374
Quote:

Only if you pump enough watts to damage the phones in the first place. By that logic many class D amp would be throw in the bin (think 700WPC max rating). Also you don't need to fixate on the Emotiva, it's not like it is the king of budget amp or anything. We in Europe got plenty of epic speaker amps to play with 
bigsmile_face.gif
'

Pic related, the Emotiva went back shortly =p, and the T-amp cost less than the thing to boot! I do think however, US folk got a good bargain if they can grab the thing for sale @ 175 bucks though (comparing to new stuff)

Where did you get the cushion headband for your HE-500?

I'm currently using the Beyer headband but am only able to connect the last buttons together.

May 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #4,773 of 20,374
Quote:

I'm currently using the Beyer headband but am only able to connect the last buttons together.

I also have one of those headbands and cannot easily pull the buttons together due to the added width near the centre of the head, so I just squeeze it and clip it on. Unless there is another headband add-on or a different core Hifiman band that I am not aware of?

May 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #4,774 of 20,374
Quote:
@Zoom25
I actually stumbled on the Emotiva thread a couple of days ago, but I read elsewhere on the interwebz (can't find the source at the mo') that high watt amps can damage headphones over an extended period of time - is that just a load of BS?

Going down the Emotiva road sounds like a lot of fun, but naturally I'm worried about accidentally turning the volume past 8 o' clock and blowing my headphones (which is a very real threat with a 3 year old running about the house) - also the costs go up due to needing new cables and I would need to import it from the US, so that's another $50-100 (cables and tax).... *deep lengthy sigh*

Considering I listen to almost any music (from classical to metal and electronic) I might just start with an O2 and see what happens; as you say the O2 is good with acoustic stuff which my music library is predominantly comprised of.

There are some other worthy speaker manufacturers out there. The emotiva is a great amplifier, and it was very similar to my Little Dot VI+ in terms of sound quality. It's something to consider. 

Hooking up speakers to headphones will only cause damage if you crank up the volume. A headphone amplifier is basically the same thing as a speaker amplifier, the only difference to the headphones is the current involved and output impedance. 

I'm not sure how much an O2 outputs in terms of power, but I don't think it gets over 1W at any impedance

May 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4,776 of 20,374
Quote:

I also have one of those headbands and cannot easily pull the buttons together due to the added width near the centre of the head, so I just squeeze it and clip it on. Unless there is another headband add-on or a different core Hifiman band that I am not aware of?

I considered doing that too but I was scared i might break it. Maybe i'll try it when I get home from work.

It looks kind of funny with only the last buttons being connected and the rest just standing out.

May 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #4,777 of 20,374
Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200799150982?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's thicker than the Beyer headband, and cheaper too. 

Also I don't know why Germans want to import the Emotiva. I mean I'm in the UK and drooling at some of the old Pioneer SX stuff that pops up on ebay Germany - quite cheap also. Plenty of good pro-audio amp too (Alesis/Crest Audio), and Thorman got 30d return policy in case you don't want it.

I got a quote from Emotiva for ~90 bucks to ship to EU; and they won't declare a low value - meaning one in Europe would have to pay ~20% additional of price + freight as duty. Thankfully I know a dealer who lent me the Emotiva for evaluation.

May 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,778 of 20,374
May 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,779 of 20,374
Quote:
I considered doing that too but I was scared i might break it. Maybe i'll try it when I get home from work.

It looks kind of funny with only the last buttons being connected and the rest just standing out.

So was I at first, but it worked out. Have been using that for the past 6+ months.

May 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #4,780 of 20,374
Quote:
I just bought HE-500 and i must say it's outstanding ! Sold my HD650 to get the Hifiman with no regret.. it outperforms Senns.
For now i have only a Bushmaster from Beresford and it seems to drive them fine and loud enough. 

My question is: if i buy a Lyr, how better will be the sound compared to what i get from Bushmaster ?

Thanks for reply and sorry for my English :)

Anybody with HE-500 with Bushmaster & Lyr ??

May 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #4,782 of 20,374
So first impressions, I just got my he-500's a few hours ago after using them I found that the sound quality is pretty good, however I felt it was definitely lacking in the bass department when compared to the he-400. At the moment I am only running these out of an e17, so that might be the reason.

May 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #4,783 of 20,374
You nailed it, I don't want to be a kill joy, because peoples budgets vary greatly. 

But $750+ (au) headphones need better than a $149 (au) dac and amp combo. 

its like buying a Ferrari and putting bad fuel in it. 

May 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #4,784 of 20,374
Quote:
You nailed it, I don't want to be a kill joy, because peoples budgets vary greatly. 

But $750+ (au) headphones need better than a $149 (au) dac and amp combo. 

its like buying a Ferrari and putting bad fuel in it. 

But the HE-500 won't ever have the same quantity of bass as the 400 (without EQ).... will it?

May 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #4,785 of 20,374
Quote:
But the HE-500 won't ever have the same quantity of bass as the 400 (without EQ).... will it?

Not running of the same amp, the HE400's are pretty damn bassy. Off a better setup though the HE500's bass should sound better than that of the HE-400's of a E17 though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back