HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #4,501 of 20,383
Chances are once you get hit by upgrade-titus, you'll probably be moving up to hd800/he6/lcd3/Staxes before you upgrade your source 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4,502 of 20,383
Quote:

Looking to do the same in the future. Only reason I'm not selling/upgrading my HE-500s.

You might be shocked when you do. Coming from soneone who was using Fiio as the source and then moved to the Schiit Bifrost. All of a sudden the HE-500 had much more soundstage depth and much better imaging, layers and layers deep, Not to mention clarity across the board. And the people just consider the Bifrost as "okay". I know a lot of people focus on headphones then amps, but once you hear what a good source can do for you. It's hard to forget. I'm personally looking at the Concero as the best bang for the buck under a $1000 right now. Although I do drool at that X-Sabre.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #4,503 of 20,383
Quote:
You might be shocked when you do. Coming from soneone who was using Fiio as the source and then moved to the Schiit Bifrost. All of a sudden the HE-500 had much more soundstage depth and much better imaging, layers and layers deep, Not to mention clarity across the board. And the people just consider the Bifrost as "okay". I know a lot of people focus on headphones then amps, but once you hear what a good source can do for you. It's hard to forget. I'm personally looking at the Concero as the best bang for the buck under a $1000 right now. Although I do drool at that X-Sabre.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm gonna say best bang for the bucks under $1k would be a Metrum Octave + a stello U3/Kingrex cheapo transport - or an used Electrocompaniet ECD1. Or an MDHT Havana with modded cap and NOS tube/used Neko D100 mk2 if you prefer a warmer sound. Then you sort of hit a brickwall and need to spend 2-3x amount on dac to clearly beat those performance 
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #4,504 of 20,383
I'm gonna say best bang for the bucks under $1k would be a Metrum Octave + a stello U3/Kingrex cheapo transport - or an used Electrocompaniet ECD1. Or an MDHT Havana with modded cap and NOS tube/used Neko D100 mk2 if you prefer a warmer sound. Then you sort of hit a brickwall and need to spend 2-3x amount on dac to clearly beat those performance 
frown.gif

I have a feeling The excellent octave doesnt need the stello anymore..as the octave Mk2 version now has the same topquality usb input just like his bigger sister..the hex..and its no longer a two box product :D

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4,505 of 20,383
Quote:
I have a feeling The excellent octave doesnt need the stello anymore..as the octave Mk2 version now has the same topquality usb input just like his bigger sister..the hex..and its no longer a two box product
biggrin.gif

Just my observation/experience with various transport, an OEM hiface board w/o heavy modification can't really match the performance of a well-implemented XMOS 
rolleyes.gif

Dealer ran out of Octave mk1, so I cant really do the MK1 vs MK2 comparison. I've also gotten over my "octave crush" anyway =p.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #4,506 of 20,383
What is the best way to make sure the leads are connected? The hole in the headphones is a bit recessed so it's hard to tighten them just by turning the screw part. What I do is turn the screw as much as I can, then turn the metal piece directly underneath, this has given me a good tight fit but is it damaging overall with repetition?

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #4,507 of 20,383
You might be shocked when you do. Coming from soneone who was using Fiio as the source and then moved to the Schiit Bifrost. All of a sudden the HE-500 had much more soundstage depth and much better imaging, layers and layers deep, Not to mention clarity across the board. And the people just consider the Bifrost as "okay". I know a lot of people focus on headphones then amps, but once you hear what a good source can do for you. It's hard to forget. I'm personally looking at the Concero as the best bang for the buck under a $1000 right now. Although I do drool at that X-Sabre. :evil:

Yea same thing happened to me when i upgraded from fiio e10 to marantz. When i'm going to upgrade it'll definitely be over the $500 mark. One of my criteria is balanced outputs. I was looking at gungnir, ps audio nuwave, and the bryston bh-1. Where does the concero stack up in the mix?

I would love to hear some input on this. Also any other suggestions?

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,508 of 20,383
Chances are once you get hit by upgrade-titus, you'll probably be moving up to hd800/he6/lcd3/Staxes before you upgrade your source 
tongue_smile.gif

So many options. Regarding Stax I promised myself to not go over something like a SR-007. The 009 at that price with good amp - for $10,000 I'll go for speakers any day. Everything else is fair game I suppose.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,509 of 20,383
Quote:
Yea same thing happened to me when i upgraded from fiio e10 to marantz. When i'm going to upgrade it'll definitely be over the $500 mark. One of my criteria is balanced outputs. I was looking at gungnir, ps audio nuwave, and the bryston bh-1. Where does the concero stack up in the mix?

I would love to hear some input on this. Also any other suggestions?

And used Metrum Quad with the separate PS; used PS Audio DL3 with the highest cullen mods I think is the best 500 bucks performer money could buy. Decent balance out is hard to get for cheap (part cost/transformer etc etc). Depends on your budget also, the concero is 600 bucks, while the Bryston bda1 is like 3k so I'm not sure what your budget is 
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4,510 of 20,383
i use a PS Audio DLIII as well! 

i use a vlink USB/SPDIF converter which i think improves it quite a bit and doesn't leave it too far off from the 1k competition these days.

i am looking at a W4S DAC as an upgrade someday though.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4,511 of 20,383
Quote:
i use a PS Audio DLIII as well! 

i use a vlink USB/SPDIF converter which i think improves it quite a bit and doesn't leave it too far off from the 1k competition these days.

i am looking at a W4S DAC as an upgrade someday though.

You shoulda look at other options too, the whole dac market has moved a lot since the W4S was introduced. I haven't heard the stock DL3, but I heard a Dl3 with cullen 4 mod - nice warm dac (aka musical). The W4S2 on the other hand is pretty bright.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #4,512 of 20,383
from what i've read, the W4S is still not as bright as some of the other dacs. i was looking at the PS Audio NuWave, but seems like some of the impressions from other head-fiers indicate its a bit of a letdown, and that one is much different than the DL III.

ive also been interested in the Rega DAC, but it seems to be a bit too colored.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #4,514 of 20,383
I've got the DLIII also and love it! It's part of my main A/V system but I used it for a while when I got my Lyr.  I ended up getting the Bifrost just for aesthetics on my desk and the DLIII went back to my main rig.  Love the auto switching and sweet warm sound.  I should give it a try again in my HeadFi system just for kicks.
I've been considering the M-DAC but for now, happy with the DLIII and Bifrost.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4,515 of 20,383
Quote:
from what i've read, the W4S is still not as bright as some of the other dacs. i was looking at the PS Audio NuWave, but seems like some of the impressions from other head-fiers indicate its a bit of a letdown, and that one is much different than the DL III.

ive also been interested in the Rega DAC, but it seems to be a bit too colored.

The W4S2 was actually on top of my list until I tried it 
rolleyes.gif
. It's not bright as some other Dac (Mytek/Benchmark1 comes to mind - but I classified them as "solid state went wrong"), still the performance is quite lacking compared to competitors in the same range.

A hummingbird told me W4S2 with modified IV stage fed by OR5 via i2s is a world class dac - but of course I have no way to confirm that 
bigsmile_face.gif
 (plus the OR5 alone cost 2500 bucks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back