HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 29, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4,021 of 20,374
Quote:
Don't worry. The Lyr will drive the HE500 quite nicely. You may want to get into tube rolling... That's another story. Enjoy!

Yep i agree..the lyr is very reactive to tuberolling..just like my 337..so in advance..i feel pity for ur wallet
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #4,025 of 20,374
Quote:
Just got these phones and really really really love them. Going to throw away my HD650's. 

Don't do it!

Trust me on this one as it happens periodically. Late last night, I sat down to listen and the HE500's sounded kinda...flat to my ears.  Hmmm, that's weird. So, I plugged in the 650's and BAM, that good old thick, dark magic was back. Listening to the Senns as I type right now. Awesome.
smile.gif

But I know in a few days, my ears will be accustomed to the 650's and I will plug in the HE500's and hear that planar magic again. Both are complementary cans, IMO.

YMMV.
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #4,026 of 20,374
The LF339 pairs well only if you have the right tubes. If you are willing to spend that much, the other option is a v200.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,027 of 20,374
Quote:
The LF339 pairs well only if you have the right tubes. If you are willing to spend that much, the other option is a v200.

I just found out that that an ef5 is not bad either with the he500

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #4,029 of 20,374
Quote:

Dubstep Girl, I have been listening to my system with my new V-Link 192 handling the USB-to-SPDIF conversion to my Benchmark DAC1 USB.  I am impressed with the results.  There is more detail, more air, and better soundstaging - not a transformational difference but easily perceptible.  The V-Link 192 unit is better than the original V-Link unit I was using previously - much more natural sounding.  For $200, that's one of the best deals in head-fi.  

Setup: PC (JRiver) > V-Link (via USB) > Benchmark DAC1 (via AES) > Soloist > HE500 or AKG K702.  

According to some, the V- Link 192 unit is 85% of converters that cost 5X+ more.  Good enough for me!   

thanks for your 192 impressions, i wanted to get one since it came out, im probably just gonna wait till i get a job though and then buy the Audiophileo or something 
tongue_smile.gif

how do u think the 192 would compare to something like that?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4,030 of 20,374
haha guys... not really going to throw my hd650's out, we've had too much history together. But they are sitting there collecting dust. Maybe I should get a bottlehead crack to bring them back to life. Feel like I cheating on it with the HE500's cuz I'm loving it so much.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #4,031 of 20,374
Quote:
haha guys... not really going to throw my hd650's out, we've had too much history together. But they are sitting there collecting dust. Maybe I should get a bottlehead crack to bring them back to life. Feel like I cheating on it with the HE500's cuz I'm loving it so much.

Or get a lafigaro 339...according to a review of a respected reviewer and my own ears..that amp goes very well with both phones.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #4,034 of 20,374
the WA6-SE can! im sure the WA6 will do ok as well! it might be a little lacking though.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #4,035 of 20,374
Quote:

thanks for your 192 impressions, i wanted to get one since it came out, im probably just gonna wait till i get a job though and then buy the Audiophileo or something 
tongue_smile.gif

how do u think the 192 would compare to something like that?

The Audiophileo should be an improvement over the V-Link 192.  Checkout this shootout thread between converters in another forum.  The original test was with the original v-link.  A retest included the v-link 192.  As I remember, on a scale of 100, the reviewer rated the Audiophileo 90-95% and the v-link 192 85%.  That's not bad for the v-link given the Audiophileo is nearly 3x to 5x as much - depending on the version.  I have never heard the Audiophileo personally, but the reviews have been consistently good. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-usb-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

I really have a hard time spending a lot of money on a spdif converter.  If I am going to drop a grand or so, I would rather add a Woo tube amp or something to my collection.  Also, jitter - the primary problem converters solve - is a problem of convenience - wanting to use an all purpose computer for hi-end audio.  The USB, etc interface just produces too much of it.  As computer audio continues to develop, I believe this problem will be solved in the computer itself (through more dedicated audio paths), rather than requiring an outboard device or a robust solution in the dac itself.

Two cents.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back