HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,721 of 20,379
How do you guys wear your he500 on your head? I mean, I have mine slightly angled facing forwards.  I started doing this to reduce the pressure felt on my jaw.  But I have noticed, I am getting a more forward presentation of sound.  I find it more enjoyable as it's easier to imagine the band in front of me.  

Anyone else willing to try this and post their impressions on sound quality and soundstage?  I am a novice in that regard.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #3,722 of 20,379
I have the HE500 on now and I have angled them forward and the soundstage seems to decrease a tiny bit but that's all I notice...

Does anyone know the reliability of the drivers in these too? has anyone heard of them becoming faulty or damaged over time? I know they are expensive and look built to last, but I am just curios
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3,725 of 20,379
Quote:
How do you guys wear your he500 on your head? I mean, I have mine slightly angled facing forwards.  I started doing this to reduce the pressure felt on my jaw.  But I have noticed, I am getting a more forward presentation of sound.  I find it more enjoyable as it's easier to imagine the band in front of me.  

Anyone else willing to try this and post their impressions on sound quality and soundstage?  I am a novice in that regard.

Slightly forward of the top of my head. I'm usually wearing a ball cap (that's how I roll) and the headband is resting just forward of that button on the top of a ball cap.

What is that button called, anyway?
smile.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,727 of 20,379
Quote:
Slightly forward of the top of my head. I'm usually wearing a ball cap (that's how I roll) and the headband is resting just forward of that button on the top of a ball cap.

What is that button called, anyway?
smile.gif

It's called the D-bag button.

I kid!  I'm just jealous because I have a small head and big ears and I look unbelievably silly in a baseball cap.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #3,728 of 20,379
Quote:
It's called the D-bag button.

I kid!  I'm just jealous because I have a small head and big ears and I look unbelievably silly in a baseball cap.

IMO, a D-bag on one's head is certainly preferable to a T-bag.
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3,729 of 20,379
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,730 of 20,379
Quote:

I am sure you are just exaggerating. Sure, they sound worse, maybe much worse than when they are properly driven, but they don't sound bad IMO - not out of decent, modern unamped sources. Both are perfectly listenable and like I wrote previously, I would still take both over most mid level headphones driven by good entry, mid and maybe even high end sources and amps. These days, better drivers and housing rule over better sources and amps in most cases IMO. Even the Clip can output enough detail to reveal differences between mid level cans, like, say, HD595, and higher end ones like HD650 or even HD800. I remember listening to HD800 and HD650 at a local store using my Sony NWZ-A816 player (cost $100 bucks back then, maybe a bit better than Clip) and being able to hear the extra speed and resolution of HD800 quite well, not to mention the HD800 still has a huge advantage over HD650 in the soundstage department even with a budget source like that.

hmm

I am currently waiting for my amps so I am using the HE500s un amped and it sounds...bad even worse than my M50s.

some songs the vocals are barely audible and half the instruments are missing in all the songs I listen to

Edit: I take what I said back. don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but turns out the 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm jack I used to plug in my HE500 to the computer is defective. I used the same jack with my M50 and getting the same results

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,731 of 20,379
Quote:
hmm

I am currently waiting for my amps so I am using the HE500s un amped and it sounds...bad even worse than my M50s.

some songs the vocals are barely audible and half the instruments are missing in all the songs I listen to

Come on - you are exaggerating. HE-500 has very full, rich mids, regardless of source. Unamped, the mids can be a little muddy, but they are in no way recessed. Some detail may be harder to pick out with HE-500 when they are driven by a weak source, because the transients become smeared. But the details are still there if you listen carefully. M50 can't even begin to approach the resolving power, speed, clarity and richness of HE-500, even if it is driven by the best possible amp and source while HE-500 is unamped. The latter is simply leagues ahead technically. What is your current source BTW? Maybe you truly have an awful source, but anything half-decent like a Sansa Clip or iPhone can drive HE-500 quite OK.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3,732 of 20,379
Quote:

Come on - you are exaggerating. HE-500 has very full, rich mids, regardless of source. Unamped, the mids can be a little muddy, but they are in no way recessed. Some detail may be harder to pick out with HE-500 when they are driven by a weak source, because the transients become smeared. But the details are still there if you listen carefully. M50 can't even begin to approach the resolving power, speed, clarity and richness of HE-500, even if it is driven by the best possible amp and source while HE-500 is unamped. The latter is simply leagues ahead technically. What is your current source BTW? Maybe you truly have an awful source, but anything half-decent like a Sansa Clip or iPhone can drive HE-500 quite OK.

sorry my bad, updated post with edit. turns out my 1/4inch to 3.5mm jack is messed up

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,733 of 20,379
Quote:

sorry my bad, updated post with edit. turns out my 1/4inch to 3.5mm jack is messed up

lol That happens. How does HE-500 sound to you now?

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,735 of 20,379
Quote:
LOL if i wiggle the jack a bit I can make it sound right and yup they do sound very nice! much more detailed, clear and open compared to my m50s

Now we are talking. Welcome to the club!
beerchug.gif
Replace that converter ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back