HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3,691 of 20,376
I had the 400s the where very good but a lot of harshness on female vocals and the cymbals are a little too much for my ears
The 500s are much smoother I enjoy them more are they worth the money your in the wrong hobbie if you look at it like that.
Is a Senn 800 worth what the charge most none hobiest most people think we are crazy and love their I buds

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,693 of 20,376
Just received my pair of HE500 from a user on here and I'm really disappointed by them
frown.gif

They are much darker than my HD600 which I was not expecting, I am running them through an M-Stage amp and Dacmagic. The bass has improved quite a bit and lower mids sound slightly better but that's about it. The upper mids are just so withdrawn/dull and the treble is pretty much the same, metal/rock sounds lifeless on them. It feels as if I have downgraded from the HD600..I thought the HE500 were going to be good upgrade over the HD600, What do you guys think? has anyone came from HD600 to these?

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,694 of 20,376
Quote:
Just received my pair of HE500 from a user on here and I'm really disappointed by them
frown.gif

They are much darker than my HD600 which I was not expecting, I am running them through an M-Stage amp and Dacmagic. The bass has improved quite a bit and lower mids sound slightly better but that's about it. The upper mids are just so withdrawn/dull and the treble is pretty much the same, metal/rock sounds lifeless on them. It feels as if I have downgraded from the HD600..I thought the HE500 were going to be good upgrade over the HD600, What do you guys think? has anyone came from HD600 to these?

Did you use the Pleather pad by any chance?

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3,695 of 20,376
Quote:

HE-6 = Reign 24

HE-500 = Skuld vs.1:   4 conductor

Excellent, thanks for the details.

Quote:
frown.gif

Sound is as good as the chain is and fits together. Do you use the HE-500 with the silver looking SPC-cable? If you use copper only instead, that will make your treble less prominent. Do you use velours or pleathers? Velours will bring out more treble compared to the stock pleather pads. M-Stage is supposed to be a dark amp, it was often recommended for the brighter AKG phones. In contrast, the HE-500 is not bright but balanced (IMO). You expect the sound signature to go into the darker direction using the M-Stage.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,696 of 20,376
I was using the pleathers yes, now I changed to the velour the treble has improved a bit but I still feel I have not upgraded from the HD600 which obviously shouldn't really be the case. I know the M-Stage is a dark amp but the HD600 are neutral too and they sound great on it...

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,697 of 20,376
HE-500 sounds quite different from HD600 due to the difference in driver technology. If you haven't heard orthodynamic/planar headphones before, you may need some time to adjust to their sound delivery, which is smoother than that of dynamics, yet also more tonally accurate and more detailed than what you get with most dynamics too. The details you hear from the planar drivers just aren't as aggressively presented as they are through dynamics, so your brain may ignore many of the details at first, being used to the bolder presentation of dynamic drivers.  With that being said, HD600 is already a great sounding headphone - one of the best dynamic driver designs out there - and I don't think HE-500 is a big upgrade. In fact, for some people, perhaps those like you, who prefer the presentation of dynamic drivers, HD600 may sound better than any orthodynamic and may even be preferable to electrostats. But before ditching HE-500, do give them more time. Also, try to listen only to HE-500 for a few days, and then go back to HD600 -  eventually, you may hear and appreciate what HE-500 can do.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #3,698 of 20,376
Quote:
HE-500 sounds quite different from HD600 due to the difference in driver technology. If you haven't heard orthodynamic/planar headphones before, you may need some time to adjust to their sound delivery, which is smoother than that of dynamics, yet also more tonally accurate and more detailed than what you get with most dynamics too. The details you hear from the planar drivers just aren't as aggressively presented as they are through dynamics, so your brain may ignore many of the details at first, being used to the bolder presentation of dynamic drivers.  With that being said, HD600 is already a great sounding headphone - one of the best dynamic driver designs out there - and I don't think HE-500 is a big upgrade. In fact, for some people, perhaps those like you, who prefer the presentation of dynamic drivers, HD600 may sound better than any orthodynamic and may even be preferable to electrostats. But before ditching HE-500, do give them more time. Also, try to listen only to HE-500 for a few days, and then go back to HD600 -  eventually, you may hear and appreciate what HE-500 can do.

Yeah, I've seen quite a few people who tried all the planar magnetic offerings and still went back to dynamics. Dynamic ring-coil cans have a more 'focused' sound because their soundwaves are not planar in nature, which might be preferred by some and despised by others.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3,700 of 20,376
Pianist I think you are right, the more I am listening to the HE500 the more I am actually warming towards them, I may have been a bit too hasty in judging haha.
They are indeed smooth compared to the more aggressive HD600/DT990 dynamics that I own but they sound so much fuller, this must be what tonal accuracy sounds like in headphones, Alice In Chains - Unplugged album sounds...unreal, it's like I am there with the band listening to them play
eek.gif
HD600 can't even compare. With metal they don't seem to shine as much tho. Strangely I also asked my dad to give them a try and he is not a big headphone listener but he immediately said the HE500 sounded much better than the HD600.

Also what's some good pads to buy for the HE500? the velour pads I got with them are a little worn.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,701 of 20,376
Many people hearing orthos for the first time are usually awed by the black background +ortho speed. When I still had the He-500, I usually think of them as HD600 on steroid - do everything the Hd600 does, with better speed. I do agree that with some metals the He500 sounds "dim" for a lack of a better word; but the speed made up for it.

Stock velour pad is 20 pounds I think. You can take the pad mounting disc and mount the Dt990 pad also - they fit. Not sure how that will affect the sound though. Other pads to try includes the Stax O2 Pad, Denon stockpad, J$ beyer pad, Lawton angle pad, jerg modded pleather pad.

Edit: and Audeze vegan/leather pad too
Quote:
 With metal they don't seem to shine as much tho. Strangely I also asked my dad to give them a try and he is not a big headphone listener but he immediately said the HE500 sounded much better than the HD600.

Also what's some good pads to buy for the HE500? the velour pads I got with them are a little worn.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,702 of 20,376
Quote:
Pianist I think you are right, the more I am listening to the HE500 the more I am actually warming towards them, I may have been a bit too hasty in judging haha.
They are indeed smooth compared to the more aggressive HD600/DT990 dynamics that I own but they sound so much fuller, this must be what tonal accuracy sounds like in headphones, Alice In Chains - Unplugged album sounds...unreal, it's like I am there with the band listening to them play
eek.gif
HD600 can't even compare. With metal they don't seem to shine as much tho. Strangely I also asked my dad to give them a try and he is not a big headphone listener but he immediately said the HE500 sounded much better than the HD600.

New velours or pleathers if you want to mod...

About Alice in Chains - Unplugged you are so dead right! That is my go-to album when I really wanna enjoy myself and my HE-500.

During the first 2-3 hours I really realized how much better than my dt-880 these 'phones are. At first I wasn't wowed, but neither dissappointed. Funny thing, they are smooth but also seem very fast... Try some really fast metal and compare with your dt-990, you will see
size]
 I find the dt-880 to be slow and un-engaging compared to the HE-500. Which is why I sold them a month after I got my HE-500...

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3,703 of 20,376
We should share some music that's good with the HE-500. I'll nominate Alice in Chains - Unplugged 

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3,704 of 20,376
Ok, thanks alot! I will look into those.

Also 1 more thing, do you know if you can buy a replacement headband? because the headband on this pair has been stretched and the they are really loose on my head.

Edit: Yep, Alice In Chains - Unplugged made my jaw drop when I first tried it with the HE500. It was a big WOW moment for me for sure. I have tried Katatonia too and they sound fantastic with them also.

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,705 of 20,376
Quote:
Ok, thanks alot! I will look into those.

Also 1 more thing, do you know if you can buy a replacement headband? because the headband on this pair has been stretched and the they are really loose on my head.

Edit: Yep, Alice In Chains - Unplugged made my jaw drop when I first tried it with the HE500. It was a big WOW moment for me for sure. I have tried Katatonia too and they sound fantastic with them also.

I think replacement headband is around 50 quids from Hifiman - but only if your headband broke. You can try installing another headband on top of the old one for more comfort - the added thickness will make it fit your head too =p. Also the metal rods on two sides are adjustable btw

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back