HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #3,347 of 20,374
While I'm certainly NOT a cable-builder, I have often wondered why an angled HE connector hasn't surfaced among the cable crafters. I like how Audeze angles the cable forward toward your chest and and away from your shoulders in the later revisions.

IMO, the HE500 cable connection is the only drawback to a truly outstanding headphone.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #3,348 of 20,374
Quote:

Here:

http://www.btg-audio.com/

The prices they use are rediculously low..even if u do it non profit...may i ask what kind of cables they use? Is it occ Or other kind of copper cables?  Am just being curious..
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #3,350 of 20,374
Quote:
While I'm certainly NOT a cable-builder, I have often wondered why an angled HE connector hasn't surfaced among the cable crafters. I like how Audeze angles the cable forward toward your chest and and away from your shoulders in the later revisions.

IMO, the HE500 cable connection is the only drawback to a truly outstanding headphone.

You are right. The connection sucks. Love everything else about them - except maybe the weight.....but what are ya gonna do?

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #3,351 of 20,374
The DAC mini puts out 1.5 watt on both channels. 750mW each.
As I understood it

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,352 of 20,374
Quote:
Hi all.. New to the HE-500 and did a lot of reading before pulling the trigger on them.  Just had my HE-500 for 3 days and really starting to enjoy them.  Jerg told me about this thread and to post my impressions here.  Tons more reading to do! Well, still early in the break in process at about 30 hours but here's my first real surprise:
I'm a huge fan of Enigma and love their stuff.  Nothing better than when the wife goes out and I can sit back and listen to my main AV system with Martin Logan speakers driven by Rotel gear and really crank some Enigma.  Well, almost noting. As I listened to Enigma for the first time tonight on the HE-500, I was really surprised and delighted as to how much they sound like my Logans. For me, that's huge! My only minor complaint so far is they have a limited sound stage compared to my Senn HD700. Looking forward to the break in process and seeing how they mature.

MickeyVee the HD700 man..  Welcome to the humble HE-500 thread where we all get along.  

Can you give me some blow by blow impressions on how the HD700 compares to the HE-500s?

enjoy..

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,353 of 20,374
Will do. Let me break them in for at least 100 hours or so before I do a indepth comparison.  Here are the notes from my audition:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639785/he500-or-lcd2-or-both-please-share-your-impressions-mini-review-and-poll-please-vote/390#post_9194439

So far, I find the HE500 and HD700 to be complementry.  There are things and some music that the HD700 do better (Sinatra, Patricia Barber, much better soundstage, tighter bass but less of it, comfort, did I say comfort?) and things that I absolutely love about the HE-500.. smooth as silk, richer, fuller on less well recorded tracks, awesome bass, did I say smooth as silk across the spectrum? Kick butt on Deadmou5, Morgan Paige & Lindsey Stirling.  I'll do a blow by blow on about half a dozen tracks in a couple of weeks or so.

Glad to hear that this is a more civil thread!
L3000.gif

Quote:

MickeyVee the HD700 man..  Welcome to the humble HE-500 thread where we all get along.  

Can you give me some blow by blow impressions on how the HD700 compares to the HE-500s?

enjoy..

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #3,355 of 20,374
Quote:
So far, I find the HE500 and HD700 to be complementry.  There are things and some music that the HD700 do better (Sinatra, Patricia Barber, much better soundstage, tighter bass but less of it, comfort, did I say comfort?) and things that I absolutely love about the HE-500.. smooth as silk, richer, fuller on less well recorded tracks, awesome bass, did I say smooth as silk across the spectrum? Kick butt on Deadmou5, Morgan Paige & Lindsey Stirling.  I'll do a blow by blow on about half a dozen tracks in a couple of weeks or so.

Spot-on observation and you put it into far better words than I could.

I can only add that I almost always reach for the HE500 when I want to enjoy the music and reach for the HD650 when I want to enjoy the singer.

beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3,356 of 20,374
Yes! Although I'm only halfway into my break in, that's exactly what I'm finding. Brilliant obeservation. Didn't put ot together until I saw your comment. Senn for vocals/jazzy stuff and HE500 for the music.

Quote:

Spot-on observation and you put it into far better words than I could.

I can only add that I almost always reach for the HE500 when I want to enjoy the music and reach for the HD650 when I want to enjoy the singer.

beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #3,357 of 20,374
I have a question for the HE-500 experts.  I received a pair about a week ago and I've honestly been disappointed with the sound. I hear hints of greatness, but there's a slight bloom/boominess across much of the frequency spectrum, and I mostly notice it in the mid/vocals range.  It's slight, but it makes the music just muddy and congested enough to keep the music frustratingly at arm's length.  I listened to a wide variety of music, and since I'd heard that the HE-500s are especially sweet with female vocals I listened to a decent amount of well-recorded female vocal music, and my experience was nothing like the liquidy-real sound others report.

I am using the velour pads and listening using Foobar (no gain, DSPs, etc.) out to ODAC/O2.  I've also tried a different computer with the ODAC/O2 as well as a Fiio E17 and a receiver headphone jack with the same results.  Also tried 20+ hours of burn-in with pink noise.  Is it possible I got a bad pair (it was an Amazon Warehouse deal, so the provenance is unknown), or am I just expecting too much?  Most of my headphone listening for the past 10 years has been with the Grado SR-80 and I haven't listened to any other headphones over $100, so I don't have much of a frame of reference in the HE-500's price/performance class.  I'm also wondering if I'm just too accustomed to the Grado sound profile, though I would have thought that a few days with the HE-500 would help my ears to "burn in."  I've already started the return process at Amazon, but I'm wondering if I should try again with another pair of HE-500, or maybe give the HE-400 a shot.  For what it's worth, I want to stick with the O2 so I'm not interested in getting any new amps.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3,358 of 20,374
Yep, I noticed the same thing.

If you want crystal clear contour around the instruments (one could call that "focus"), you might want to look at the 6s or 5LEs (to be confirmed).
Maybe the smoothed treble is responsible for this.

This was actually something I liked about the 500s. The sound just appears to come from "nowhere" yet with great detail (in the mids, mainly) and with a lush tone. The sound is bold.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,359 of 20,374
Quote:
I have a question for the HE-500 experts.  I received a pair about a week ago and I've honestly been disappointed with the sound. I hear hints of greatness, but there's a slight bloom/boominess across much of the frequency spectrum, and I mostly notice it in the mid/vocals range.  It's slight, but it makes the music just muddy and congested enough to keep the music frustratingly at arm's length.  I listened to a wide variety of music, and since I'd heard that the HE-500s are especially sweet with female vocals I listened to a decent amount of well-recorded female vocal music, and my experience was nothing like the liquidy-real sound others report.

I am using the velour pads and listening using Foobar (no gain, DSPs, etc.) out to ODAC/O2.  I've also tried a different computer with the ODAC/O2 as well as a Fiio E17 and a receiver headphone jack with the same results.  Also tried 20+ hours of burn-in with pink noise.  Is it possible I got a bad pair (it was an Amazon Warehouse deal, so the provenance is unknown), or am I just expecting too much?  Most of my headphone listening for the past 10 years has been with the Grado SR-80 and I haven't listened to any other headphones over $100, so I don't have much of a frame of reference in the HE-500's price/performance class.  I'm also wondering if I'm just too accustomed to the Grado sound profile, though I would have thought that a few days with the HE-500 would help my ears to "burn in."  I've already started the return process at Amazon, but I'm wondering if I should try again with another pair of HE-500, or maybe give the HE-400 a shot.  For what it's worth, I want to stick with the O2 so I'm not interested in getting any new amps.

Try a better quality amp or at least a lyr..the he500 needs a good (strong) amp to sound good..as all planars need..and to be honest..the 02 doesnt pair well withthe he500..better try the emotiva and drive it from the speaker leads..much much much better and just as cheap...or do what i did..score urself a strong tube amp..u wont regret it..only ur wallet will..
biggrin.gif
.imho ofcourse...and throw away that horrible standard hifiman silverplated copper cable and buy urself a decent copper cable (doesnt need to be expensive..a toxic cables scorpion is cheap and very good).am sure that u then will love the sound..if not..sell the he500 and get urself an audeze lcd.as that one is much darker in soundsignature..so maybe more suited for ur tastes..but then again..u still have to invest in good amping also..
ps..just 20 hours burn in time??? The he500 needs at least 100 hours non stop..mine did..

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #3,360 of 20,374

The HD650 excels with any music that's not too fast. It allows you to enjoy that delicious mid-bass hump without losing energy and details as much like you do with fast music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back