HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #2,748 of 20,374
Quote:
Would you describe your HE500 pair as more engaging or technical?

For sure it is engaging...but also a bit technical.

I can enjoy my music as is without thinking "OH THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE!" but at the same time i will notice micro detail that wasn't there before.

My K702s I had before were very technical and i wouldn't really be able to enjoy them as they felt way too cold and analytical. I wouldn't be able to wear them for more than an hour but i've worn my HE-500s for over 5 hours straight without any fatigue.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,749 of 20,374
Just got another pair of HE-500s
smile.gif
 I had purchased a set when they first came out (at $899) and found I couldn't get on with the ridiculous cable. I also found them to be fairly heavy. I haven't been able to get that sound out of my head though. I enjoyed running them balanced from an RSA SR71B and I can't imagine a (trans) portable rig getting much better.

So I decided to try them again and I'm glad I did. It turns out it wasn't the weight that was bothering so much as that absurd garden hose cable that was originally attached. The new versions ship with a much smaller silver cable that works perfectly. Glorious sounding headphones indeed
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,750 of 20,374
Quote:
Just got another pair of HE-500s
smile.gif
 I had purchased a set when they first came out (at $899) and found I couldn't get on with the ridiculous cable. I also found them to be fairly heavy. I haven't been able to get that sound out of my head though. I enjoyed running them balanced from an RSA SR71B and I can't imagine a (trans) portable rig getting much better.

So I decided to try them again and I'm glad I did. It turns out it wasn't the weight that was bothering so much as that absurd garden hose cable that was originally attached. The new versions ship with a much smaller silver cable that works perfectly. Glorious sounding headphones indeed
beerchug.gif

I've bought another pair for this same reason.  I'm addicted!

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,751 of 20,374

Norse Audio Reign 4 Impressions

Just completed "breaking in" for approximately 80+ hours and evaluating a Hifiman version of the Reign 4 on my HE-500.

The Reign 4 is a very lightweight cable, beautifully terminated and packaged. The SQ is impressive it provides a very neutral balanced tone no exaggeration of bass, mid or highs. What I find exceptional is the reproduction of the sound stage imaging, excellent instrument separation and location.

Norse Audio is a very professional cable manufacturer and designer who offers audiophiles great service and value.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,753 of 20,374
Quote:
Will be collecting my HE-500 tomorrow.

I understand the clamp on the head is abit at the tight side. How do you guys improve on the comfort?

Not hard to improve. You can bent the headband yourself, they recommend it in the user manual. Not that I have felt the need to do so. I think some people make comfort a much greater issue than it really is.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2,754 of 20,374
Received my HE-500 yesterday and out of the box the left side is much much looser than the right.  This is what happens when I take them off.  Is there any hope for these?  I've had Hifiman HE500 and HE400 in the past and neither was like this.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,756 of 20,374
Nope. No hope for them at all. You'll have to send them back for a replacement.

Or you could use a small screwdriver. Whichever is easiest.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #2,757 of 20,374
Quote:

Thanks, hopefully my O2 is able to power it hehe..

Just make sure to give it some time to get used to the amp and the combo. Once you do, it will surprise you.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,758 of 20,374
Quote:
Received my HE-500 yesterday and out of the box the left side is much much looser than the right.  This is what happens when I take them off.  Is there any hope for these?  I've had Hifiman HE500 and HE400 in the past and neither was like this.

Drop some mineral oil into all the joints so they all loosen up. Also just use the headphones for a week or two and everything will equalize.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,760 of 20,374
would the he-500 be good to start with? i am getting my tax refund and i have a chance to buy them now and get the amp and dac next month, and i have never had good headphones only a corsair sp2500 computer audio set of speakers, so i was wondering if i should take a step back and start with the he-400 or just get these? i listen to alot of jazz,rock,acoustic,vocal based, ambient,chill, and some electronic and hip hop. again this will be my first set, and another side question do they all come in a hard box case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back