HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #2,731 of 20,374
Just got my HE-500s today....just....wow. I believe i've reached the end of the road unless i decide to splurge for some stax.

Using my EF-5 rolled with OP627s is simply amazing.. What have i been missing out all these years.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #2,732 of 20,374
Quote:
Just got my HE-500s today....just....wow. I believe i've reached the end of the road unless i decide to splurge for some stax.

Using my EF-5 rolled with OP627s is simply amazing.. What have i been missing out all these years.

Another satisfied customer! :)  Enjoy.

Way past my bed time thanks to this album ... (a treat of a listen for all HE-500's owners)

Mr. Book: Sleeeep... nooooooow

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #2,733 of 20,374
Quote:
Actually, i have the original Dacport, Dacport LX, and now the Dacmini, i'm using the original Dacport when doing the comparison. I'm selling the Dacport LX, and lend the original Dacport to my friend, while now i'm a happy camper with the Dacmini
redface.gif

Oh sorry, i didn't know that you had a DACport

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,734 of 20,374
The HE-400 cable is copper

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,736 of 20,374
Quote:
Alright gents, considering pulling the trigger on the HE-500, maybe HE-6 though fans of HiFiMAN tend to say the HE-500 is the real gem, and wondered... what are you guys using for cables?  I'll likely just get 'earrings' for my Q cables but thought I'd hit you guys up for some real world experience.

(HE-6 / F1J)  --> (HE-5LE, HE-4 / Balanced B22) --> (HE-500 / Balanced M^3 - op amp dependent) -- > (HE-400 / Balanced CK2III)  Who knows where the GS-X MKII will fit..

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,737 of 20,374
Quick question, is the HE-400 canare cable silver or copper? I'm sure there are reviews out there, but what is the general opinion on how it (he-400 cable) pairs with the HE-500?

My he400 came with the copper cable.

i used to use custom sleeved DHC Molecule headphone cable (furutech connector) for my he500 and adapter cables (between my dap and amp) with rhodium plated rca's from Valab but now i upgraded them both to Toxic Cables Black Widows 22AWG litz copper cables with viablue on all sides as connectors..and wow..this cable is awesome!!!! Thats why i am going to order a very special one off version of that wire with them next month.. .. The uber honcho cable for the he500... Imho. :D

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,738 of 20,374
Quote:
My he400 came with the copper cable.

i used to use custom sleeved DHC Molecule headphone cable (furutech connector) for my he500 and adapter cables (between my dap and amp) with rhodium plated rca's from Valab but now i upgraded them both to Toxic Cables Black Widows 22AWG litz copper cables with viablue on all sides as connectors..and wow..this cable is awesome!!!! Thats why i am going to order a very special one off version of that wire with them next month.. .. The uber honcho cable for the he500... Imho.
biggrin.gif

I am willing to buy some of the cables you dont need :) I am from Europe as well (see sig) :D
Please let me know on the pricing if interested :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #2,739 of 20,374
I am willing to buy some of the cables you dont need :) I am from Europe as well (see sig) :D
Please let me know on the pricing if interested :)

PM sent :D

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,740 of 20,374
Not much a fan of this kind of music but it sent chills down my spine as i was listening to it. So much micro detail.

Sounds pretty scary on HD

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,741 of 20,374
Quote:
Not much a fan of this kind of music but it sent chills down my spine as i was listening to it. So much micro detail.

Sounds pretty scary on HD

Industrial music from the 90's had more intricate sampling and micro detail than that track.  Check out Skinny Puppy's - Melt from the Paradigm Shift album.  That's what I'm talking about!  Download - Sidewinder EP, anything off of that album too.
For something less edgy, check out Biosphere or Monolake.

When I saw the picture below, first thing I thought of was the HE-x design. Not only that, they are also similar in weight at 435g. They are the Pioneer SE-305.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,743 of 20,374
Quote:

Industrial music from the 90's had more intricate sampling and micro detail than that track.  Check out Skinny Puppy's - Melt from the Paradigm Shift album.  That's what I'm talking about!  Download - Sidewinder EP, anything off of that album too.
For something less edgy, check out Biosphere or Monolake.

When I saw the picture below, first thing I thought of was the HE-x design. Not only that, they are also similar in weight at 435g. They are the Pioneer SE-305.

will definitely look into that.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,744 of 20,374
jono, if that is music you typically don't listen to, what type of music do you enjoy?

Have you any more impressions of your Bitfrost / EF-5 / HE-500 combo?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #2,745 of 20,374
Quote:
jono, if that is music you typically don't listen to, what type of music do you enjoy?

Have you any more impressions of your Bitfrost / EF-5 / HE-500 combo?

It's really hard to say right now because i swapped my original OP275 amp with the OP627 amp right before i got my HE-500s and was unable to salvage the op275 during the removal process.

Right off the bat the swapped opamp felt much more lively but on certain pitches of a persons voice would sound VERY harsh to the ears. I had to deal with this for about a day before i got my HE-500s and I do not think this would have happened had i still had the op275 as they're very warm.

When i got the HE-500s they also sounded very harsh at certain points but that seemed to have disappeared after using them for a few days so I can only imagine the opamps were burned in? haha

In regards to the headphone itself i'm not going to get into any particular lingo and terms but i will say that my music sounds very full as if it were full of life. This feeling and imaging was not present in my DT990s and ESPECIALLY my K702s..which felt kind of lifeless. Soundstage and imaging are also very impressive. While it's not big like the K702s you still get a sense of where all the instruments and vocals are placed. This is great if you like to game. Bass slam is also very good..i'd say even more than my DT990s. HE-500 does everything right and i honestly don't see anything that's really wrong with it given it's amped properly...makes my collection of other headphones sound like rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back