HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,656 of 20,386
I think it's a HE-6

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,659 of 20,386
Quote:
So they would have changed the colors of both the 4s and the 6s (both were all black, including the 2 half rings)?

HE6 cup has always been a dark blue-black hue, not completely black. That is reflected in that photo.

However yes, the yokes (where you extend the headband and rotate the cups) were painted black in earlier HE6's, but in later units were changed to a dark silver finish.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #2,661 of 20,386
Right driver died? Sorry about that. Hope they have a longer lifespan than that.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,662 of 20,386
Makes you wonder what exactly blew up in his HE6. It might be as simple as a slightly botched cup cable connector, or as severe has a general diaphragm tracing defect (ticking bomb for all HE6 owners).

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,664 of 20,386
Quote:

HE-500 and/or HE-400 too, or just HE-6?

I was just postulating about the fact that when someone's Hifiman driver "died", it could be due to ANYTHING, from the most trivial to the most severe issues possible. So in fact others would overestimate and underestimate the issue.

It's not anything real.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,665 of 20,386
Jan 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,667 of 20,386
I'm planning on getting the HE-500's very soon and I'm kind of putting together a "road map" for what I want to do and just get some peoples opinions on it. These are going to be a bit of a step up for me from my HFI-580's and also a lot more money so all opinions are welcome.

Currently I have a Xonar STX which I plan on using for a short while once I get the HE-500's then once I get a bit more money I plan on getting the Schiit Lyr and just using the Xonar STX as the DAC as I have heard it is decent DAC setup. What I'm most concerned about is how far will the STX take me as far as the DAC goes?

But mainly what I'm asking is if this "road map" is going in the right direction, I really don't plan on going much further than this and hope to get a well-rounded setup in the end with a good price without having to resell stuff.

I apologize if this wasn't the place to ask it. I thank you in advance for any guidance.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,668 of 20,386
i tied the velour pads and they are simply so much better than the pleathers.... the treble seems so much better after a day of burn in and all the siblance is gone... now these headphones feel as the reviews have always said...

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,669 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm planning on getting the HE-500's very soon and I'm kind of putting together a "road map" for what I want to do and just get some peoples opinions on it. These are going to be a bit of a step up for me from my HFI-580's and also a lot more money so all opinions are welcome.

Currently I have a Xonar STX which I plan on using for a short while once I get the HE-500's then once I get a bit more money I plan on getting the Schiit Lyr and just using the Xonar STX as the DAC as I have heard it is decent DAC setup. What I'm most concerned about is how far will the STX take me as far as the DAC goes?

But mainly what I'm asking is if this "road map" is going in the right direction, I really don't plan on going much further than this and hope to get a well-rounded setup in the end with a good price without having to resell stuff.

I apologize if this wasn't the place to ask it. I thank you in advance for any guidance.

I can't really speak to the STX, but I can say the Lyr is fantastic with the 500. I think you will really like it. You can tweak things out with different tubes, or different cables and such, but really, the stock Lyr is quite nice.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #2,670 of 20,386
I can't really speak to the STX, but I can say the Lyr is fantastic with the 500. I think you will really like it. You can tweak things out with different tubes, or different cables and such, but really, the stock Lyr is quite nice.

Lyr is goodvalue for the money..but if u need something cheaper to start with for the time being for the he500.. Try the matrix mstage..i had this baby burning in my he500's and it sounded really well with gain on 10 db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back