HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 31, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2,401 of 20,374
There are pad change problems? 

Nope the current revision is okay.
I believe he meant the older models but this has been solved a few months ago.
They made the plastic attachments more durable so they wouldn't break easily

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,402 of 20,374
There are pad change problems? 

There wERE problems! The past ..the plastic lockers could break on the plastic ring on ver. 1 pads..but the rev 2 pads connectors are much stronger now..check for pad problems in the past on the hifiman lineup on headfi..but still..u have to be carefull when changing pads always with the hifiman's :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,403 of 20,374
Hello everyone! Recently received the HE-500 and they're pretty awesome compared to the HD650...but I don't really want to post impressions because I haven't used them for too long. I wanted to share something else that might have been suggested already....but I'm not certain because I have not read all the pages of this thread. This is my approach to the head cushion problem. I took a spare HD650 head cushion i had laying around and used hair ties to wrap it around the headband, securing the hair ties with bobby pins. It's pretty comfortable, and it offers another alternative to the Beyer pads.

Link to headband cushion: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_part-finder_headbands_052715

As you can see, it is pretty tight on the headband and will probably wrinkle it

This is how I tied it to the headband

For reference, this is how it looks like on my head

Close up shot. As you can see, it does provide ample cushioning

Hope this helps someone~

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2,404 of 20,374
Quote:
Hello everyone! Recently received the HE-500 and they're pretty awesome compared to the HD650...but I don't really want to post impressions because I haven't used them for too long. I wanted to share something else that might have been suggested already....but I'm not certain because I have not read all the pages of this thread. This is my approach to the head cushion problem. I took a spare HD650 head cushion i had laying around and used hair ties to wrap it around the headband, securing the hair ties with bobby pins. It's pretty comfortable, and it offers another alternative to the Beyer pads.

I dunno bro, the beyer/hifiman/grado ebay headband clipon pads are a lot nicer-looking and protect the stock headband more:

They also "wear in" in that after a week or two, the center foam will flatten a bit and the whole thing will shape to your head snuggily.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #2,405 of 20,374
I really have no problems with comfort with the headband. I always found it comfortable, then again I'm a guy who finds nothing wrong in comfort with the Fostex T50RP headband.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,406 of 20,374
Quote:
I really have no problems with comfort with the headband. I always found it comfortable, then again I'm a guy who finds nothing wrong in comfort with the Fostex T50RP headband.

I also have the T50RP, but when I load the thing with plasticine, all that weight is on one point of my head. Because my head is a bit pointy on top, the headband cushion just helps to spread the weight evenly across my head. I actually had the HD650 cushion on the T50RP and transferred it over to the HE-500 because they feel similar on the head, at least with all the weight on one point thing.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,409 of 20,374
@preproman: Those pads look really nice. I finally ordered the HE-500s but have to wait for the seller to come back from holiday vacation. Already have the Jaycar/Fischer/Brainwavz pads for my HE-300 and got the Ebay headband ready too. Just don't wan't to wait any longer
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Great work on the recabling. IMO using that type of connector was a bad choice. Something like the ones on HD 800 would be nice.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,411 of 20,374
Sorry for not being clear. I meant the connectors used on the HE-series :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #2,412 of 20,374
ok. bought the he-500 about a month ago, burned it in for well over 200h  and really wanted to be overwhelmed...i came from a grado sr-80 so it should have been easy.

And while it is clearly better, i'm a bit disappointed. The disappointment comes from the higher than expected background noise level at high volume listening levels. So much so that it distracts from the music

I went back to the innerfidelity measurement charts and noticed indeed a higher THD-Noise level (at 100db) than its direct competitors. The LCD-2 comes close but better.

Am i the only one noticing this? 

Any ways to mitigate this?

thx

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,413 of 20,374
Quote:
ok. bought the he-500 about a month ago, burned it in for well over 200h  and really wanted to be overwhelmed...i came from a grado sr-80 so it should have been easy.

And while it is clearly better, i'm a bit disappointed. The disappointment comes from the higher than expected background noise level at high volume listening levels. So much so that it distracts from the music

I went back to the innerfidelity measurement charts and noticed indeed a higher THD-Noise level (at 100db) than its direct competitors. The LCD-2 comes close but better.

thx

Nope, I don't notice any dirty noise floor with my pair. You sure it's not just background static with your particular tracks?

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,414 of 20,374
Quote:

thx

i am sorry to hear that...BUT..once again i have to quote myself
wink.gif
: the he500 is very dependent on which amp u use..WHAT AMP UR USING NOW? it sounds like ur amp is on his last feet trying to drive the he500! check the forums and google..or just go (or try at least) for the (not so expensive)  amp i did (check my profile)..or try at least (or violectric v200/181, the yulong a18 sabre, the shiit mjolnir or the 339)...and u will see ur disapointment will be gone like snow in the sun
biggrin.gif
IMHO ofcourse..but many agree with me
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,415 of 20,374
^ What others said above and just try switching to pleathers to see if that makes any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back