HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2,132 of 20,386
Quote:
i see u dont have ur dust protecting cups on the outside anymore? did the sound change a lot?

The dust-cover fabric has too big an impact on the sound quality for me to keep on my grills. IMO there seems to be some damping effect with the fabric that removes some upper treble information. Without it, HE500s gain a noticeable amount of "air" in its highs.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2,133 of 20,386
Quote:

The dust-cover fabric has too big an impact on the sound quality for me to keep on my grills. IMO there seems to be some damping effect with the fabric that removes some upper treble information. Without it, HE500s gain a noticeable amount of "air" in its highs.

thanks for the explanation..i will try it also then... its reversable right?

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #2,134 of 20,386
Quote:
thanks for the explanation..i will try it also then... its reversable right?

With the stock grills? Not really, if you rip the fabric off then you can't put it back onto the back of the grills unless you use some sort of adhesive.

I simply remove the whole grill (easily reversible) and just cut out a whole new steel mesh grill to replace it.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,135 of 20,386
With the stock grills? Not really, if you rip the fabric off then you can't put it back onto the back of the grills unless you use some sort of adhesive.

I simply remove the whole grill (easily reversible) and just cut out a whole new steel mesh grill to replace it.

Thats what i meant with reversable :D thanks for extra explanation..i appreciate it :wink:

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,137 of 20,386
Quote:
I am looking to buy a pair of He-500
Is anyone using He-500 together with O2/ODAC? What are your experiences?
Does it work or is a better amp required to run them in full?

I've tried my he500 out of my o2, and it's workable, but I think you'll eventually want more amp.  It works pretty well out of my schiit asgard, and, in fact, have a schiit lyr being delivered today --- I'll report back as to whether I think the lyr adds something significant beyond the asgard.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,138 of 20,386
Bob, how come you decided to purchase another amp?

We look forward to your comparison of the HE-500 on the Lyr and Asgard.

BTW, what DAC are you currently using?

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,139 of 20,386
Quote:
I've tried my he500 out of my o2, and it's workable, but I think you'll eventually want more amp.  It works pretty well out of my schiit asgard, and, in fact, have a schiit lyr being delivered today --- I'll report back as to whether I think the lyr adds something significant beyond the asgard.

Agreed.

The O2 is perfectly fine for the HE-500 especially considering it's price. Bass extension is superb, impact wise - not bad. The mids are very transparent, but can seem a bit thin with some genres. I recently got a Emotiva Mini X-a-100 (speaker amp) to power the HE-500, will update this thread on that. The reason why after three months of O2 I considered another amp is because I wanted something that sounded more fuller. Even the E10 can sound more fuller than the O2 - of course minus all the other great capabilities of the O2.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2,142 of 20,386
Quote:
I am looking to buy a pair of He-500
Is anyone using He-500 together with O2/ODAC? What are your experiences?
Does it work or is a better amp required to run them in full?

This is my go-to setups atm. Sounds really fantastic and clean. I've sold all my other amps and dacs, although I may pick up a Leckerton for portability. I don't want to sound like a objective fanatic, but the HE-500 with O2/ODAC is incredible sound for the price by my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know something could be better, but then I'll have to do a really huge pricejump. And my student-occupation does not allow that at the moment
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,143 of 20,386
I understand the O2/ODAC might be a incredible sound for the price.  Lets take price out the situation for a moment.  Now is the O2 still an incredible sound compared to some of the big boys?  I don't know - that's why i'm asking.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,145 of 20,386
Quote:
Bob, how come you decided to purchase another amp?
We look forward to your comparison of the HE-500 on the Lyr and Asgard.
BTW, what DAC are you currently using?

A seriously bad case of incremental upgrade-itis!  I keep telling myself I'll try the next step up and sell one.  I do pretty well with half of that.

In answer to your question, I have an E17/E09K gathering dust while I use the Audioquest Dragonfly dac/amp.
I was looking forward to coming home today to the Lyr .... found a notice from the post office instead so the comparison will be no earlier than tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back