HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2,116 of 20,386
Quote:
Anyway, I know from experience that It's easy to get trapped in this feeling that things can always be better, and feeling this constant need to upgrade- but im learning to to think differently. I'm trying to just enjoy what I have and not obsess about what could be better. Hopefully it's about the music anyway, so if you are enjoying your music with the rig you have, let it be fo a while.... It does sound like you are super happy. Just my humble opinion.

Hahaha, just give it some time. Head-fi will take care of that.
biggrin.gif

Since you're in Vancouver, check out HeadphoneBar - local store there, if you didn't already know. They got some nice equipment there, including Audeze to test out.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2,117 of 20,386
Hahaha, just give it some time. Head-fi will take care of that.:D

Since you're in Vancouver, check out HeadphoneBar - local store there, if you didn't already know. They got some nice equipment there, including Audeze to test out.

Hahahaha. Ya, I'm sounding like a recovering addict :)

Headphone Bar is awesome. Travis is a good guy. Love the store. Lots of wonderful toys to play with there.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,118 of 20,386
Quote:
Anyway, I know from experience that It's easy to get trapped in this feeling that things can always be better, and feeling this constant need to upgrade- but im learning to to think differently. I'm trying to just enjoy what I have and not obsess about what could be better. Hopefully it's about the music anyway, so if you are enjoying your music with the rig you have, let it be fo a while.... It does sound like you are super happy. Just my humble opinion.

Good advice. And so true, this is how we all feel in this hobby at some time or other. For me it's the enjoyment of changing any part of my set ups, for better or worse I get a buzz out of trying new things. The best thing that happened to me recently was being in a very tight financial position (skint!)... haha I have no choice but to be happy with what I have got, now just enjoying the music.  

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #2,119 of 20,386
Quote:
Good advice. And so true, this is how we all feel in this hobby at some time or other. For me it's the enjoyment of changing any part of my set ups, for better or worse I get a buzz out of trying new things. The best thing that happened to me recently was being in a very tight financial position (skint!)... haha I have no choice but to be happy with what I have got, now just enjoying the music.  

says the guy with a LCD-2 and a HE-500 
biggrin.gif
.....this is your destiny Slowfade.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,124 of 20,386
Quote:
Has anyone tried running these out of a Nuforce HDP and if so how does it compare to something like the asgard?

Quote:
Has anyone tried these with the Total Bithead powered by USB? That's what I have and wondering if they're good enough for the HE-500..

Neither are a setup I've seen in people's sig's on here.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2,125 of 20,386
I think Chris_Himself has tried the Nuforce with Hifiman's

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #2,128 of 20,386
PSA for anyone who still doesn't know, the Ebay generic headband cushion pad gives an insane boost to Hifiman HE-series comfort. How you mitigate the issue with Hifiman headbands being too wide for the full snap-on of the padding, is to only snap on the two end buttons, like so:

Having all the middle buttons open serves two functions: 1) it doesn't deform the actual headband leather/foam, 2) it allows all the padding of the cushion to stay relaxed and spread out, so you get maximum cushioning and pressure distribution (especially near the middle where most of the weight is brought down).

I compared the sensation of my HE500 on my head with and without this cushion, and the difference is just huge.

With this cushion installed this way it is easy to have the feeling of wearing the headband "disappear" entirely, even though the HE500s are about 500g weighing down on the top of my head.

IMO anyone with even the slightest bit of headband comfort or headphone weight issues with a Hifiman can should B-line straight to this, before trying anything else.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2,129 of 20,386
Quote:
The HE500 sounds pretty good out of the headphone out on the SqueezeBox Touch... Not my go-to combo, though. But totally ok. I'm saying this just to illustrate that HE500 is worth trying on a range of less obvious gear...

i have to agree on this one..i had my he500 burned in on a matrix m-stage..and it sounded pretty good also while listening to it with gain switches on 10Db!

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,130 of 20,386
Quote:
PSA for anyone who still doesn't know, the Ebay generic headband cushion pad gives an insane boost to Hifiman HE-series comfort. How you mitigate the issue with Hifiman headbands being too wide for the full snap-on of the padding, is to only snap on the two end buttons, like so:

Having all the middle buttons open serves two functions: 1) it doesn't deform the actual headband leather/foam, 2) it allows all the padding of the cushion to stay relaxed and spread out, so you get maximum cushioning and pressure distribution (especially near the middle where most of the weight is brought down).

I compared the sensation of my HE500 on my head with and without this cushion, and the difference is just huge.

With this cushion installed this way it is easy to have the feeling of wearing the headband "disappear" entirely, even though the HE500s are about 500g weighing down on the top of my head.

IMO anyone with even the slightest bit of headband comfort or headphone weight issues with a Hifiman can should B-line straight to this, before trying anything else.

i have same headband since 3 weeks now...perfect!!! my he500 feels like it lost all his extra weight! was a bit figgling about to put the band on..but when it did...wow! probably  the cheapest mod u can get for ur he500 and in my eyes a very important one..hey wait..i see u dont have ur dust protecting cups on the outside anymore? did the sound change a lot?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back