HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,576 of 20,386
Quote:
@dubstepgirl

If you're still reading this  anyway, be sure to let us know your wa6se impressions with the he-500 if you do pick a pair up.  There's not really a ton of information around on how the woo amps pair.  Only a few opinions.  Most people just seem to get a Lyr which I'm sure is fine, but I like the woo stuff quite a bit more so I'd like to know more about it :) I'd personally go for a woo any day over the lyr.  I just get a weird feeling that the lyr would not suit me.  Also I guess I'm afraid that it's over hyped.  I'm sure it is fine though.

I've tried two Darkvoice amps with my HE-500's and they could not drive them. I have pretty much given up on OTL amps for these headphones. Even if they can play loud enough the dampening factor is a disaster (they completely lose it in the low frequency). I went solid state for these HP's and they are very happy. I still love tubes but they are not the answer for the HE-500. Some like the Lyr just use the tubes in the circuit to introduce tube harmonics but they are really solid state/hybrid amps which is why they can control ortho's. I used to do that in some of the gear I manufactured back in the 80's and 90's and it can work well. Frankly, I don't think the HE-500 needs tubes to be very musical.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,577 of 20,386
I know this sounds silly, but has anyone tried the HE-500 with the Chinese made G&W AT-F100 amplifier? As I recall, the AT-F100 was made for low impedance cans and also supplies quite a wallop of current.

Also, given the choice to purchase a 2nd hand, run-in Mark I HE-500 (with the Canare cables) for close to half price, or the newer Mark II HE-500 (with the new velour pads & silver cables) at full price - Which one  would you seasoned HE-500 afficianados buy? 

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!
gs1000.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,578 of 20,386
Quote:
thanks.

sure thing.

if the HE-500 really does have a K701-ish sound, feels like i'm gonna love them.. i liked the k701 alot, but sold because T1/HD800 better, but they're not the same sound 
frown.gif

i like that neutral but slightly warm midrange, and if the bass is better than the k's, thats a plus.

i know the K701 paired really well with my WA6-SE, like really good. i'm sure the HE-500 will do good with the 6SE, it does good for all my other cans lol

Funny, I think the HE-500 is the perfect antithesis of the K701, which would explain why many people who really enjoy the K701 tends to dislike the HE-500. 
confused.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #1,579 of 20,386
Quote:
Also, given the choice to purchase a 2nd hand, run-in Mark I HE-500 (with the Canare cables) for close to half price, or the newer Mark II HE-500 (with the new velour pads & silver cables) at full price - Which one  would you seasoned HE-500 afficianados buy? 

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!
gs1000.gif

If you do not mind the stiffness of canare cable, then the price of the second hand is too good to pass it by. Some forum members prefer the old cable and velour pads sonic-wise.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #1,580 of 20,386
plus if you want to re cable, you can probably pay a forum member to make one for you for not all that much money :) or at least less money than any store you can get one from.  The current stock hifiman cable is really fragile.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,581 of 20,386
Quote:
I know this sounds silly, but has anyone tried the HE-500 with the Chinese made G&W AT-F100 amplifier? As I recall, the AT-F100 was made for low impedance cans and also supplies quite a wallop of current.

Mosfet's have been used for many high output speaker amps including several Tube/Mosfet designs (NY audio Labs now defunct comes to mind). They have the ability to deliver a lot of current. Really would be overkill for a headphone amp. Mosfet's have a very distinct sound. You either like them or you don't. They do work well with tubes. I would think the Audio gd C2.2 is a much more refined design than the AT-F100.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,582 of 20,386
Some initial impression's... the cable is indeed fragile and quite microphonic and the velour pads are a bit stiff at the moment so wearing comfort with glasses is not great. However i think they will soften up a bit otherwise they can always be replaced by something else.

Sound wise they are very good so far, almost no treble spike to speak of a tiny bit at the very top but not worth mentioning really. Overall the sound is balanced, very clear, fast and effortless in it's presentation. Especially enjoying the detailed and fuller low end when compared to the T1, absolutely no contest imo. Mids are just perfect and when it comes to vocals well all i can say is DAMN. Treble seems more extended then the T1 yet no harshness or a tendency to be sibilant(so far). Sound stage and imaging are not as good as the T1 but honestly if you desire that above all then speakers seem like a better option anyway. 

Going to let it all sink in and see if my impression changes over the coming days 
beerchug.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,583 of 20,386
Funny, I think the HE-500 is the perfect antithesis of the K701, which would explain why many people who really enjoy the K701 tends to dislike the HE-500. :confused:

Yes, I would agree. The migration from Grado/Beyerdynamic to HE is easier. AKG seems to be a kind of different breed, tonally and dynamically.

The upgrade from velour pads to leatherette gives a lot more bass control and low octave response due to better isolation and different damping.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,584 of 20,386
For all of you that find the HE-500 lacking in high frequency energy, you may try this mod.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,586 of 20,386
People using PCs as their source, I cannot reccommend enough the use of an equalizer to effectively flatten the frequency response of you headphones. My k701s are fantastic with a good eq and are a fair bit too bright without the eq... the difference is HUGE

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #1,587 of 20,386
Quote:
For all of you that find the HE-500 lacking in high frequency energy, you may try this mod.

I tried this out and the sound definetly gets snappier. Very subtle change but definetly for the better. Interestingly, this is pretty much the same effect as it was with Sennheiser HD580 vs HD600 back then. Same headphones but latter has less restricting grill resulting in slightly improved sound.

However, I am not comfortable with the idea of only a cloth protecting the driver so I have to put the grills back on until I figure out a good alternative. Maybe I can find some very sparse metal grid somewhere, something you find on higher end Grados for example.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #1,588 of 20,386
Quote:

I tried this out and the sound definetly gets snappier. Very subtle change but definetly for the better. Interestingly, this is pretty much the same effect as it was with Sennheiser HD580 vs HD600 back then. Same headphones but latter has less restricting grill resulting in slightly improved sound.

However, I am not comfortable with the idea of only a cloth protecting the driver so I have to put the grills back on until I figure out a good alternative. Maybe I can find some very sparse metal grid somewhere, something you find on higher end Grados for example.

If you do find a good solution please share it with us. You will probably need both the metal grid and the cloth to fully protect it. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,589 of 20,386
Quote:
If you do find a good solution please share it with us. You will probably need both the metal grid and the cloth to fully protect it. 

The best compromise is to probably cut the grill out of a less restrictive grid and then adhere the acoustically transparent cloth onto it. By the way, the stock grill isn't metal, it's plastic.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,590 of 20,386
Quote:
The best compromise is to probably cut the grill out of a less restrictive grid and then adhere the acoustically transparent cloth onto it. By the way, the stock grill isn't metal, it's plastic.

Mine is surely metal (it is magnetic). So, probably, there are two, or more, versions of this grill! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back