HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #946 of 20,383

Quote:

If you haven't done it already, do check HE-400. It appears that it does not have this metal bar and it sound quality is not too distand from HE-500 (according to what fellow head-fiers are saying). As a bonus it is really much cheaper and a tad lighter.

This looks like the outer side of the cup

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #947 of 20,383
What on Earth is the problem with the metal bar within the HE-500's?!! They sound fine to me and certainly are reasonably comfortable.
gs1000.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #948 of 20,383
Some find their ears touching them. I think it was a bigger issue with the first pads which were thinner.

I have no problem with them, and I have out-standing ears 
tongue.gif

Quote:
What on Earth is the problem with the metal bar within the HE-500's?!! They sound fine to me and certainly are reasonably comfortable.
gs1000.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #951 of 20,383
Thanks for the explanation. I now see how that could be somewhat of an issue, but I suppose more-so with the older, thinner pads. Do the HE-5(LE)'s and HE-6's also have this design "feature"?

Quote:
Some find their ears touching them. I think it was a bigger issue with the first pads which were thinner.

I have no problem with them, and I have out-standing ears 
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #952 of 20,383
As much as I love the HE500 the biggest fault I can find on them is the weight. I no longer have my aluminum Magnums so there is nothing in my possession that makes the HE500 seem like a feather in comparison. I spent most of the last few weeks with a headphone much lighter and trying the HE500 now it is quite heavy. It's a shame not every ortho could be like the HE400 where it is so light that it feels like any other dynamic driver in terms of weight.

The sound is definitely worth the price of admission and more but I wish there was something I could do about the weight.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #953 of 20,383

Quote:

Very interesting,Thank you for this!
I suppose you didn't use a dummy head, but then how do you managed to make an effective seal for correct Low Frequency measurements? 
What power / SPL level did you use for the THD measurements? 

No, I don't have a dummy head for the work.
My microphone is roughly the shape of a ball, and it's size suited headphone cups well.

As for the power, the out-put power is about 100mW.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #954 of 20,383

Quote:
This looks like the outer side of the cup

Yes, indeed. But probably the inside of the cup is the same. The metal bar exists in HE-500 on both sides (inside and outside).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back