HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #496 of 20,374
If the differences in those cans is small, you probably wouldnt hear the very small changes the cable would make.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #497 of 20,374
Mine are for sale if anyone is too eager for the loaner program. :D

Also, to be on the topic of impressions. They're my favorite headphones I've ever heard. Over the D7000, LCD 2, and HE5LE.

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #498 of 20,374
HE-500 sound great with Woo WA6SE.  Very balanced, solid sound.  But the leakage is a lot more than expected.  I find them much more comfortable than the LCD-2.  I wore the LCD-2 for 2 hours and that was it, my neck got sore.  ` 

For some reason I was not that enamoured with the LCD-2.  It did not wow me at initial listen.  The HE-500 gave a much more favourable impression.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #499 of 20,374
They're open...How do you not expect a ton of leakage?

Quote:
HE-500 sound great with Woo WA6SE.  Very balanced, solid sound.  But the leakage is a lot more than expected.  I find them much more comfortable than the LCD-2.  I wore the LCD-2 for 2 hours and that was it, my neck got sore.  ` 

For some reason I was not that enamoured with the LCD-2.  It did not wow me at initial listen.  The HE-500 gave a much more favourable impression.

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #501 of 20,374
i've been comparing the lcd2 rev.2 to the he-500 since yesterday and they sound more
similar than different, to my ears. the lcd2 rev.2 is less tizzy at the highend but the he500
has a more intimate midrange. unfortunately, the he500 also has a slight low-mid-range
bass bump/hump that slightly distracts. i've managed to tame that bass hump by placing
memory-cell sponge in a donut-shape. the denser the material the more effective it is in
removing the hump, but denser material also seems to highten the tizzy highs. i compromised and found a good balance by cutting out the inner circle, hence the donut shape. it's easy to do and easily reversible.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #502 of 20,374
Just posting in this thread to subscribe to it. I want me some HE-500's.
duggehsmile.png

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #504 of 20,374
The wood on the newer LCD-2's has gotten much lighter. Nice looking. 

Some great choices now. I enjoying owning the LCD-2's and the HE-500. They offer a different view of the performance, just like different seats or standing area. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #506 of 20,374
They are rather good. But ive never really enjoyed "any" headphone thats up in the higher ranks. I always analyze the music which annoys the crap out of me. Each to there own in the end. I think i will be happy with what i have for sometime to come.

Quote:
I plan to rebuy mine someday. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #507 of 20,374
I and another head-fier did a short comparison of the LCD-2s (Rev. 1s) and HE-500s at a mini-meet today.  The rig was a MDHT Havana feeding an RSA Apache, and we used several different tracks.  The HE-500s were single ended and the LCD-2s balanced as there was no balanced cable handy for the HE-500s.  As Takezo said, they are more similar than they are different overall.  Both do certain things really well but in the end, the LCD-2s edge out the HE-500s by just a bit.  The HE-500s can get tonality and timbre right on certain tracks (or on most of a given track), but they will falter here and there, on the LCD-2 tonality & timbre were excellent consistently.  

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #510 of 20,374
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

"I and another head-fier did a short comparison of the LCD-2s (Rev. 1s) and HE-500s at a mini-meet today.  The rig was a MDHT Havana feeding an RSA Apache, and we used several different tracks.  The HE-500s were single ended and the LCD-2s balanced as there was no balanced cable handy for the HE-500s.  As Takezo said, they are more similar than they are different overall.  Both do certain things really well but in the end, the LCD-2s edge out the HE-500s by just a bit.  The HE-500s can get tonality and timbre right on certain tracks (or on most of a given track), but they will falter here and there, on the LCD-2 tonality & timbre were excellent consistently."

I seem to recall, when I had them both here with my rig, preferring the soundstaging and imaging of the HE500 over the LCD2v1. I actually liked the HE500 over the LCD2v1. It's probably more a matter of personal preference than one being better than the other.

Did the new ear pads come out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back