HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #196 of 20,374

Quote:
MINI-REVIEW HE-500:
Overall I think the HE-500 are a better or more versatile "all rounder" headphone than the HE-6 because of the very high amp demands of the HE-6.  They have great speed and detail, good frequency balance, a nice soundstage and imaging, good presence and good transparency.  It's what the HD600 "should" have been, and while auditory memory is short I think they remind me a lot of my old Stax SR-404 Limited Edition but with better impact and a more cohesive soundstage and imaging.  I'd love to get my hands on another 404LE and compare them someday.

(small clip from from mini review) 

Nice review you did Larry with good thoughts on comparisons and reasons for the good marks of the HE-500. 

I look forward to what you think of the new output transformers. With the secondaries in silver, most all of the benefits of a tans with total silver are gained. The guy I used to work with out of Las Vegas started doing that with great results. 

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #197 of 20,374

Quote:
Actually, I mentioned the LCD-2 clamp too hard, not loose.  My HE-5 LE and HE-6 are loose because the headband is too long for my ears, which are not abnormally high-set as far as I know.  Somehow the HE-500 just fit me better and the cups don't ride too low like with the others.

Glad to hear this. I usually have to use the smallest setting on most headphones. The lcd2 actually have them up 1 notch on each side.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #198 of 20,374
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, comparisons and experience of the HE-500 with us HeadphoneAddict............

My wallet is feeling lighter again thanks to your good self, Skylab, Mrarroyo and Jamato8 

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #199 of 20,374
What did you end up buying..?

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, comparisons and experience of the HE-500 with us HeadphoneAddict............

My wallet is feeling lighter again thanks to your good self, Skylab, Mrarroyo and Jamato8 

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #200 of 20,374

Quote:
What did you end up buying..?

I'll have what he's having ................

I pulled the trigger on a HiFiMan HE-500

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #202 of 20,374

Quote:
Welcome to the Club... You might want to delete your Head-Fi account now :wink:

Ha Ha Ha......   I think the traditional welcome to Head-Fi is in order..... "welcome to the forums and sorry about your wallet" !

Well, it's not like I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I joined up
wink_face.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #203 of 20,374

Quote:
Ha Ha Ha......   I think the traditional welcome to Head-Fi is in order..... "welcome to the forums and sorry about your wallet" !

Well, it's not like I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I joined up
wink_face.gif

I am not so sure anyone Really knew. Oh we may claim to, to save face but in the long run, I had no idea. :^)

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #204 of 20,374
This driver issue has piqued my attention seeing as the LCD's had drivers failing recently. Hmmm i may have to test mine just for the sake of it.

Any idea how to test for it?

Although it does not really show the headphone driver impedance over frequency spectrum, it is quick and easy measurement that show some kind of averaged impedance value of the driver. In case of ortodynamic headphones this number is quite significant because ortho drivers tend to have ruler flat impedance over frequency spectrum.

Provided that you know to use multimeter - measurement is quite easy:

• Detach headphone cable from your HE-500 to take cable's resistance out of equation (hmm... I haven't done this...).
  • Set the multimeter to measure resistance in 200 Ω range.
  • Touch centre of the bare male connector on one (left or right) headphone driver with one multimeter pin probe; touch the outer metal casing of the same connector with other multimeter pin probe (it does not matter red or black probe - resistance has no polarity).
  • While still touching connector with both multimeter pins, read the value on multimeter.
  • Repeat the steps 3 and 4 for other headphone driver/connector.

I repeated measurements of my drivers, this time without attached headphone cable. Without cables my HE-500 measure 30,7 Ω on the left driver and 45,3 Ω on right driver. Still difference too big to be considered just a bad match.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #206 of 20,374

Quote:

Although it does not really show the headphone driver impedance over frequency spectrum, it is quick and easy measurement that show some kind of averaged impedance value of the driver. In case of ortodynamic headphones this number is quite significant because ortho drivers tend to have ruler flat impedance over frequency spectrum.

Provided that you know to use multimeter - measurement is quite easy:

• Detach headphone cable from your HE-500 to take cable's resistance out of equation (hmm... I haven't done this...).
  • Set the multimeter to measure resistance in 200 Ω range.
  • Touch centre of the bare male connector on one (left or right) headphone driver with one multimeter pin probe; touch the outer metal casing of the same connector with other multimeter pin probe (it does not matter red or black probe - resistance has no polarity).
  • While still touching connector with both multimeter pins, read the value on multimeter.
  • Repeat the steps 3 and 4 for other headphone driver/connector.

I repeated measurements of my drivers, this time without attached headphone cable. Without cables my HE-500 measure 30,7 Ω on the left driver and 45,3 Ω on right driver. Still difference too big to be considered just a bad match.
frown.gif

Maybe it's too early in the morning and I'm just being a thickheaded but I'm not sure what mean by "bare male connector", I'm using LCD-2's, would that be the connector where the cable goes in? If so there's 4 pins, is there a specific pin? Sorry, I'm just starting down the DIY road, just got a mulitmeter about a week ago.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #207 of 20,374

Quote:
You will have a lot of fun, the HE-500 sound superb and draw you into the music as very few cans can. Enjoy them.

Thanks ! I know I will as you and the others that I have come to trust with your comments have always been spot on !

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #208 of 20,374
...I'm using LCD-2's, would that be the connector where the cable goes in? If so there's 4 pins, is there a specific pin?

Yes, the connectors where headphone cable enter the headphone. In LCD-2 case you should touch center pin 4 (or pin 1) and pin 2 (or 3). See mini XLR part of this picture:

In any case, if you touch wrong pins you will not break anything, just the resistance between them will measure 0 Ω.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back