HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 27, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #152 of 20,386
Thank you for all the impressions.  I just ordered my HE-500.  I sold my HE-6 last week.  I really liked the sound of my HE-6, but it drove me nuts having to switch all the cabling around (between stereo speaker out and beta-22) whenever I switched headphones.  A little less treble will be nice as well.  I hate losing any transparency or extended base, but life is a compromise, at least until we get the HE-600. :wink:    

May 27, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #153 of 20,386

Quote:
Thank you for all the impressions.  I just ordered my HE-500.  I sold my HE-6 last week.  I really liked the sound of my HE-6, but it drove me nuts having to switch all the cabling around (between stereo speaker out and beta-22) whenever I switched headphones.  A little less treble will be nice as well.  I hate losing any transparency or extended base, but life is a compromise, at least until we get the HE-600. :wink:    

That is why I bought a receiver with two speaker outs.  "A" for speakers, "B" for the HE6 and headphone jack for the LCD2.  Tone controls are also very effective when needed.

May 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #154 of 20,386

If you want to see the major differences what i hear with the HE6 over the LCD2 is the dynamic range on SACD large scale recordings and a soundstage to die for on the hE6 with clarity and dynamics with tremendous air being pushed on classical recordings. All of this is on the SX980 speaker taps pushing 15W into the 50 ohm load. My Decware would struggle with these wide range recordings where the Pioneer blows them away. Fang new chart on six moons shows minimum 8w as the required power to see the full potential of the He6. I can attest to that. My 80W Pioneer is driving them better than anything else I have used and it the amp of choiice for me now with the HE6. Peter you owe it to yourself to get some good telarc sacd  a good one is Paavo Jarvi doing Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet a sonic masterpiece to experience the wide range recording and what the SACD technology does and how the hE6 responds to them is amazing. It is a feat that the LCD2 cannot match because the soundstage is restricted My D7000 cannot match it either. With the proper amp driving the HE6 I know of no finer headphone without it people have not experienced them at their best.

No doubt the sound stage imagery of the HE-6s is wider than the LCD-2s. My comments were limited to the "fullness of the mid range". Both cans are incredible IMO and only personal preferences can account for which is better.

May 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #156 of 20,386

Quote:
That is why I bought a receiver with two speaker outs.  "A" for speakers, "B" for the HE6 and headphone jack for the LCD2.  Tone controls are also very effective when needed.

Sunneebear, You bring up another irritant with my setup.  When I wanted to use the speakers, I had to use an equalizer setting with reduced base and added treble.  When I wanted to use the HE-6, I had to turn off or change the equalizer settings.  The first time I hooked up the HE-6, I thought they were defective until I remembered the EQ was on. 

May 27, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #157 of 20,386
Thanks mate. Appreciate it. I'm liking the Schiit Lyr atm.

Quote:
Can't offer too much advice as I am between gear atm, but I will say congrats on that birthday present. I don't think you'll be disappointed, they're amazing headphones.

Jesus christ, Frank. That's so much power...

I'm nabbing some vintage receivers soon (hand me downs from my father and his friend), and I've got to try this with the HE 500.

May 28, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #158 of 20,386
Honestly... My HE500's sound amazing on my DACmini. Id love to hear what they sound like from a Liquid Fire or the new Super 7. But right now my setup is so minimal and sounds awesome i have no real reason to upgrade to a seperate amp.

May 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #159 of 20,386

Quote:
The 6 is the Apogee Scintilla of headphones?

^^^

My feelings exactly -- as a one-time Apogee owner. I could not get on with them at all, even when driven from my speaker amp (Luxman 509u). I'd quite like to try the 500s but not if they share the (to my ears) somewhat distant and uninvolving sound sig of the 6s. They do seem to be very highly praised here. Anyone using and enjoying the 500s who did not fall for their big brothers?

best,

o

May 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #160 of 20,386
I haven't heard the HE 6s, so I couldn't have fallen for them! lol
Quote:
^^^

My feelings exactly -- as a one-time Apogee owner. I could not get on with them at all, even when driven from my speaker amp (Luxman 509u). I'd quite like to try the 500s but not if they share the (to my ears) somewhat distant and uninvolving sound sig of the 6s. They do seem to be very highly praised here. Anyone using and enjoying the 500s who did not fall for their big brothers?

best,

o

May 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #161 of 20,386

Quote:
I haven't heard the HE 6s, so I couldn't have fallen for them! lol

Thanks -- ought to have been more clear: is the HE-500 a phone that even those unmoved by the HE-6 might love, as some of the plaudits here seem to suggest, or is it a scaled-down version of the HE-6, which (again) some here and elsewhere have observed?

o

May 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #162 of 20,386
I have been spending a good amount of time with the HE-500 over the last couple of weeks. I have used multiple amps and sources to validate an earlier comment I made, and yes the HE-500 does scale very well as you improve the source and amp. This to me is important because it makes it very important for the end user to hear the can for himself/herself. Reading what others think is fine for mostly an entertainment value and living vicariously through others, but until you have the opportunity to listen to a piece of gear with your music and the rest of the equipment ... well it is only somebody else opinion. Another important aspect of scaling is that we should strive to improve the individual components as we start the upwards move with any of them, it is a pity for example to use cheap tires on a Corvette since you will soon find the tires being the limiting factor and you then realized you should have bought the appropriate tires for the vehicle.

I am currently listening to Joe Sample - Ashes to Ashes (Apple Lossless in iTunes using an iMac 3.06). The music is being sent to a Red Wine Audio Isabella/30.2 (both LFPV Edition) and there is a sense of continuity to the music that speaks volumes of a rig that is both detailed yet very smooth and involving. A few posts above I read the mid was lean, I am not hearing this. If anything I find the mids to have a depth and width that is not normally heard with headphones (with some few exceptions like the AKG K1000). I certainly encourage those who can attend a meet and listen to this or any of the cans they may be interested so an informed decision can be made. Good luck!

May 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #163 of 20,386
Yes, I find the HE-500 one of the most even phones (neutral and great from low bass to treble) I have heard. With all of this they cut to the chase, they get to the music and put you in the zone. 

edit: I just slipped in my hi purity silver IC, which I haven't used in a long time. It is 99.99995 silver in 22 gauge in teflon and a 4 plait braid. I made it a few years ago but haven't had any use for it for some time. In this setup I can hear a lot more detail over the Zu cable I have here and I hear sounds I have never heard before. On some of Peter Green's recordings I can hear whispers from the performers that is somewhat disarming. Along with this, small distraction, is more space and transparency. Nice that the phones can keep up with this. 

May 29, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #164 of 20,386
Does anyone know how much lighter the HE-500 is than the HE-6, if at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back