HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 19, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #121 of 20,386
Great write up Rob (as usual). :smile:

I'd like to give them a try down the road. Looks like Fang has yet another winner. And at the price point very competitive. For those worried about the amping requirements for the HE-6s, this seems to fit the bill.

May 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #122 of 20,386
Got mine in today. Not too much impressions wise yet, but here's some unboxing photos.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549413/hifiman-introduces-new-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones/405#post_7484811

May 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #123 of 20,386
Good write-up Rob. This last year has brought about some great monitors. I thing the challenge to define the sound they produce is all the more fun because they do produce so much that is truly enjoyable to listen to with the High End getting just that much better with more entries. 

May 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #124 of 20,386
Just got my he500s a couple days ago. Have maybe 15 hours of burn in so far.
I'm alternating between by RSA raptor which is light on power to my RSA hr2 which has more punch.
High expectations can be troublesome, this is my first pair of orthos.
So far they sound a little muffled, when I switch back to my grado rs1s, the sound is far clearer and sharper.
Is this a symptom of too little burn in?
I'm a little worried so far, but everyone says they need time to open up.
Any thoughts appreciated.

May 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #126 of 20,386

Quote:
I'm alternating between by RSA raptor which is light on power to my RSA hr2 which has more punch.
So far they sound a little muffled, when I switch back to my grado rs1s, the sound is far clearer and sharper.

Comparing HE-500 to RS-1, the latter are faster, sharper and have more impactful treble.  But I found that it was because they are peaked in the high mids & treble and not really because the HE-500 are deficient.  HE-500 have a much richer sound to me- with bass, mids and soundstage much more filled out.  I think it is natural to like what we are used to.  But give them time and you will appreciate the things that HE-500 add and eventually you might find that the RS-1 are unbalanced- at least I did after spending time with headphones with different signatures.

May 24, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #127 of 20,386
Comparing HE-500 to RS-1, the latter are faster, sharper and have more impactful treble.  But I found that it was because they are peaked in the high mids & treble and not really because the HE-500 are deficient.  HE-500 have a much richer sound to me- with bass, mids and soundstage much more filled out.  I think it is natural to like what we are used to.  But give them time and you will appreciate the things that HE-500 add and eventually you might find that the RS-1 are unbalanced- at least I did after spending time with headphones with different signatures.

I approve this message.

May 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #128 of 20,386

Quote:

Nope,I think just the opposite.  Its your ears that have been over burned by the rs1.
smile.gif

May 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #129 of 20,386
I was afraid of this.
I've grown so used to the coloration, I don't even know it's there.
Reminds me of the tv showrooms that boosted color and brightness to grab attention.
I will hang in there and begin my process of deprogramming.
Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts.
Will keep you posted.

May 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #130 of 20,386

Quote:

I don't have the RS1 but I have the HF2, for Grado sound. To my ear the HE-500 are more refined and even across the frequency range compared to the HF-2. They, the 500's, do not sound muffled in any way to me and that is not to say that you don't hear this but I am not sure why. I did find that for whatever reason the 500's take quite a bit of burn in and I never experienced this with the LCD-2 or the HE-6 as they took maybe a couple of hours. 

Quote:
Which has the better mids, the lcd2 or the he500?
undefined: undefined »(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Wow, the LCD-2 seem more full in the mids but the 500's are very neutral and clean. I will have to listen and compare more. The bass is stronger on the LCD-2 and in a way I like the more neutral bass of the 500's as the bass, mids and high frequencies tend to blend better but I really do like both. 

May 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #131 of 20,386
Comparing HE-500 to RS-1, the latter are faster, sharper and have more impactful treble...

RS-1 faster than HE-500?!?

OK, I haven't seen frequency/time response waterfall plots, but from my past brief RS-1 audience, from quick listen to a new and unburned HE-500 and from what I see in RS-1 and HE-500 headphone data I would say HE-500 are faster.

I do concur on "sharper" and "more impactful treble" notion though.

May 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #132 of 20,386

Quote:
Which has the better mids, the lcd2 or the he500?
undefined: undefined »(image missing)%3D%3D[/img]

Depends. The LCD2 has a leaner, less forward but more transparent and nuanced midrange while the HE500's is thicker/richer, more forward and has a bloom in the lower midrange that results in a coloration. Both are good, depends on what you're looking for.

May 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #134 of 20,386

Quote:
My experience was that the HE-6 became smoother with quite a bit of burn-in.

Same...for me the change happened only in the first 15-20 hours though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back