HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 25, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #136 of 20,386
I don't have the RS1 but I have the HF2, for Grado sound. To my ear the HE-500 are more refined and even across the frequency range compared to the HF-2. They, the 500's, do not sound muffled in any way to me and that is not to say that you don't hear this but I am not sure why. I did find that for whatever reason the 500's take quite a bit of burn in and I never experienced this with the LCD-2 or the HE-6 as they took maybe a couple of hours. 

Quote:

Wow, the LCD-2 seem more full in the mids but the 500's are very neutral and clean. I will have to listen and compare more. The bass is stronger on the LCD-2 and in a way I like the more neutral bass of the 500's as the bass, mids and high frequencies tend to blend better but I really do like both. 

Depends. The LCD2 has a leaner, less forward but more transparent and nuanced midrange while the HE500's is thicker/richer, more forward and has a bloom in the lower midrange that results in a coloration. Both are good, depends on what you're looking for.

So which is it? jamato08 says the LCD-2s mids are "more full", yet K3cT says the "LCD2 has a leaner, less forward but more transparent and nuanced midrange". Sorry, just looking for some clarification to these polar opposite opinions. I have never heard the HE-500, but I do own the HE-6 and find the LCD-2's mids more in line with jamato08's comments.

May 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #137 of 20,386
Absolutely no disrespect intended at all to K3cT, but I hear it more like Jam does.

May 25, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #139 of 20,386
Could be source / amp / type of music dependent?

Hard to say, but I've heard my HE-6s through the speaker taps of my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver (120W per channel) and pigtail adapter and still found the LCD-2s mids to be fuller bodied.

Again, I'm haven't heard the HE-500s, so this is not a direct comparison.

May 25, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #140 of 20,386

Quote:
Hard to say, but I've heard my HE-6s through the speaker taps of my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver (120W per channel) and pigtail adapter and still found the LCD-2s mids to be fuller bodied.

I haven't heard the LCD but I wouldn't doubt that it has has fuller mids based on people here who have both 6 and LCD. And the 500's sound signature is close to the 6 though I haven't heard the 500 either, I only have the 6.

May 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #141 of 20,386

I haven't heard the LCD but I wouldn't doubt that it has has fuller mids based on people here who have both 6 and LCD. And the 500's sound signature is close to the 6 though I haven't heard the 500 either, I only have the 6.

They are fantastic on the HE-6s, but slightly a cut above with the LCD-2s.

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #142 of 20,386
Maybe he got the description of the cans mixed up. Thanks for the answers though.

May 26, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #143 of 20,386

Quote:

At this level, any sonic signature you experience is going to be heavily influenced by the amp used.  My own experience is closer to that of Jamato8. I have slightly over 120 hours now on the HE--500 and have been comparing them to a neighbors LCD-2s.  Driven by a solid state amp (Anedio D1) the LCD-2 is first off, more efficient, but also less neutral.  Neither headphone is without signature but of the two, the HE-500 is a bit more balanced end to end.

May 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #144 of 20,386
The amplifier that I used for the comparison was a DIY Gainclone, it's a speaker amp that has been configured to drive headphones. It's a huge hit amongst the local headphone crowd as it's cheap (under $200 using normal parts), very powerful and clean sounding.

As for the midrange, I like both and can't decide which one I like better. I still think that the HE500 has a more forward and thicker midrange than the LCD2 while the midrange of the latter is slightly pushed behind into the other frequencies compared to the HE500 and is not as thick. In terms of midrange transparency, I think that the LCD2 has an edge over the HE500. Perhaps the LCD2's slightly subdued highs can give an impression that its midrange is fuller sounding compared to the HE500 which has a more pronounced treble response. That being said, I will take the HE500's midrange over its older brother HE6 any day, any time.

May 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #145 of 20,386
I just keep coming back to these phones. They just seem to cut through any question of a something between me and the music. They power very nice from the RSA 71B or the Lyr, and for the sound that makes them so versatile for me. 

May 27, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #146 of 20,386
Hi Guys,

I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of these as a birthday present for myself. Any advice on what headamp to use? I'm currently using my Maverick Audio DAC TubeMagic D1. 
Thanks in adv. Hope they rock.

HF

May 27, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #147 of 20,386

Quote:
Quote:

If you want to see the major differences what i hear with the HE6 over the LCD2 is the dynamic range on SACD large scale recordings and a soundstage to die for on the hE6 with clarity and dynamics with tremendous air being pushed on classical recordings. All of this is on the SX980 speaker taps pushing 15W into the 50 ohm load. My Decware would struggle with these wide range recordings where the Pioneer blows them away. Fang new chart on six moons shows minimum 8w as the required power to see the full potential of the He6. I can attest to that. My 80W Pioneer is driving them better than anything else I have used and it the amp of choiice for me now with the HE6. Peter you owe it to yourself to get some good telarc sacd  a good one is Paavo Jarvi doing Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet a sonic masterpiece to experience the wide range recording and what the SACD technology does and how the hE6 responds to them is amazing. It is a feat that the LCD2 cannot match because the soundstage is restricted My D7000 cannot match it either. With the proper amp driving the HE6 I know of no finer headphone without it people have not experienced them at their best.

May 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #148 of 20,386

Can't offer too much advice as I am between gear atm, but I will say congrats on that birthday present. I don't think you'll be disappointed, they're amazing headphones.
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of these as a birthday present for myself. Any advice on what headamp to use? I'm currently using my Maverick Audio DAC TubeMagic D1. 
Thanks in adv. Hope they rock.

HF

Jesus christ, Frank. That's so much power...

I'm nabbing some vintage receivers soon (hand me downs from my father and his friend), and I've got to try this with the HE 500.

Quote:

If you want to see the major differences what i hear with the HE6 over the LCD2 is the dynamic range on SACD large scale recordings and a soundstage to die for on the hE6 with clarity and dynamics with tremendous air being pushed on classical recordings. All of this is on the SX980 speaker taps pushing 15W into the 50 ohm load. My Decware would struggle with these wide range recordings where the Pioneer blows them away. Fang new chart on six moons shows minimum 8w as the required power to see the full potential of the He6. I can attest to that. My 80W Pioneer is driving them better than anything else I have used and it the amp of choiice for me now with the HE6. Peter you owe it to yourself to get some good telarc sacd  a good one is Paavo Jarvi doing Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet a sonic masterpiece to experience the wide range recording and what the SACD technology does and how the hE6 responds to them is amazing. It is a feat that the LCD2 cannot match because the soundstage is restricted My D7000 cannot match it either. With the proper amp driving the HE6 I know of no finer headphone without it people have not experienced them at their best.

May 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #149 of 20,386
Actually it translates to 15W in to the 50 ohm load so the HE6 get about 15 watts and uses it. It sounds more open and does not get  congested. My Taboo i use for small recordings because it cannot drive the swings and dynamics of large scale orchestra but I am going to use the Pioneer SX980 all the time as it not stressing my tubes either since it solid state and for the 180.00 I paid and put another 140 into cleaning and repairing I cant find any headamp that can do what this does and beautiful to look at also.

May 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #150 of 20,386
Actually it translates to 15W in to the 50 ohm load so the HE6 get about 15 watts and uses it. It sounds more open and does not get  congested. My Taboo i use for small recordings because it cannot drive the swings and dynamics of large scale orchestra but I am going to use the Pioneer SX980 all the time as it not stressing my tubes either since it solid state and for the 180.00 I paid and put another 140 into cleaning and repairing I cant find any headamp that can do what this does and beautiful to look at also.

They really are the best way to go. Some people just don't have the space for them. They huge but oh so good sound wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back