HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #20,236 of 20,374
Will do the Fuzzor mod sooner or later, got the self adhesive felt. I have Arctic Grills installed.

Arctic grilles look good, have not used yet.

My version was a later model with the 'look at them and they tangle' silver cables and the travel case (not the box).
Oh I have the earlier silver plated stuff, microphonic and very splashy treble.
When I finish spending on my latest hobby, 3D printing I might look at upgrading my DAP from my Hiby R3 Pro Saber. It has it's MSEB thing which kinda works. But it's a bit of a jump price wise in Australia to a decent android DAP (about twice the price of the current R3 Pro Saber to get an R6Pro), then I can put a decent EQ app on it.

I don't know how much the DCA pads are where you live, but here in Australia they run at about US$90-110 a pair ($130-160 Australian). I paid $200 Australian for my 500's. At the moment, that's a good case of over-capitalisation.
I paid $360 for my 500's in '18 and the 3 DCA pads I have cost $89 each. After my sojourn thru 14 different (no 15 now), for me and a few others there is no comparison, but, they are expensive for sure.
I've done that already. I got into 3D printing because Hifiman wanted to charge $40 postage (about $26-28 US) postage for the grill retention clips.
Whoa! They cost $10 back in '18.
If I was in the States, free post. They're sent from China to the US, then to Australia... So I decided that I'll just 3D print them! AU$2000 later, haven't done them yet!

I'll play with my Brainwavz Velour, Hybrid (PU/Velour), & Sheepskin leather pads for the time being. Those 3 set me back less than Aust$90.
Yes, have to try out for what you like best. Good luck, seems like you will be getting tuned for you, which is better than anyone elses taste.

Aug 9, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #20,237 of 20,374

I paid $360 for my 500's in '18 and the 3 DCA pads I have cost $89 each. After my sojourn thru 14 different (no 15 now), for me and a few others there is no comparison, but, they are expensive for sure.

Yes, have to try out for what you like best. Good luck, seems like you will be getting tuned for you, which is better than anyone elses taste.
I think the rings are still about that price. The $40 was just for postage.
I've never had this microphonic effect people talk about. Now Meze 99 Neo's, there's a microphonic cable.
It's funny how different people swear by different pads on here. For some it's the DCAEthere. Some it's the stock velours. Some it's the Veli pads.
Everyone is correct. I just see these opinions as justification for trying them all! But there's so many other variables starting with how our own hearing is, as none of us are those test measurement dummies just listening to sine wave sweeps.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #20,238 of 20,374
Interesting, iv'e got the rings $10 postage included couple weeks ago from Hifiman store, ordered spares for dust proof grill mod.

Little less superglue would have looked cleaner on rings but these headphones are not for looks.

Tried stock grills back and nope, not for me after grill mod, more congested sound.

grill.jpg

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #20,239 of 20,374
Looks great! What material did you use as the dust filter? Second question, is it easy to push in and touch the wiring accidentally?

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #20,240 of 20,374
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #20,241 of 20,374
Interesting, iv'e got the rings $10 postage included couple weeks ago from Hifiman store, ordered spares for dust proof grill mod.

Little less superglue would have looked cleaner on rings but these headphones are not for looks.

Tried stock grills back and nope, not for me after grill mod, more congested sound.

grill.jpg
What country are you in? I'm in Australia, and the website doesn't let you finish the order.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #20,242 of 20,374
If you have access to a 3D printer, here's a link to the rings i made. I was wrong with the sizes i quoted before, there's only a 98 & 104 mm ring. For mine i used the 98mm ring and the 100mm pads wre a snug fit. For the 105mm pads, use the 1-4mm version.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2702052/files

If you don't have a 3D printer, see if there is a Makerspace or 3D printing group nearby that could do it. They use very little material and for a pair they should take around an hour to print.
Thanks for the info!!! I will definitely have some printed. I might use Shapeways to print and use a flexible rubber like material. The 3D printed mounts I have are fragile and I accidentally broke two of them. Luckily I have extras. These mounts are so handy!

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #20,244 of 20,374
Will do the Fuzzor mod sooner or later, got the self adhesive felt. I have Arctic Grills installed. My version was a later model with the 'look at them and they tangle' silver cables and the travel case (not the box).

When I finish spending on my latest hobby, 3D printing I might look at upgrading my DAP from my Hiby R3 Pro Saber. It has it's MSEB thing which kinda works. But it's a bit of a jump price wise in Australia to a decent android DAP (about twice the price of the current R3 Pro Saber to get an R6Pro), then I can put a decent EQ app on it.

I don't know how much the DCA pads are where you live, but here in Australia they run at about US$90-110 a pair ($130-160 Australian). I paid $200 Australian for my 500's. At the moment, that's a good case of over-capitalisation.

I've done that already. I got into 3D printing because Hifiman wanted to charge $40 postage (about $26-28 US) postage for the grill retention clips. If I was in the States, free post. They're sent from China to the US, then to Australia... So I decided that I'll just 3D print them! AU$2000 later, haven't done them yet!

I'll play with my Brainwavz Velour, Hybrid (PU/Velour), & Sheepskin leather pads for the time being. Those 3 set me back less than Aust$90.

I think the Fuzzor mod is worth doing. The highs on mine are smooth as butter! Absolutely no etch, overextension or harshness, even when comparing against my EQ profile that I made.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #20,246 of 20,374
Thanks for the info!!! I will definitely have some printed. I might use Shapeways to print and use a flexible rubber like material. The 3D printed mounts I have are fragile and I accidentally broke two of them. Luckily I have extras. These mounts are so handy!
TPU (flexible lightweight rubber like material) might not work because the tension of the pad will make it buckle. If you slicer program has a 'Strength' setting, use that. Also if you print in either PLA, PLA+ or PETG, they'd be more than strong enough. I tried one design, and if you looked at it the wrong way it broke.
But the design I linked works well. There's just enough room to slip the sleeve on the pad in, and once it's mounted, there isn't any strain put on that mount.
You just need to be careful if you pad roll, but you would want to be so the pad can be remounted later.

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #20,248 of 20,374
TPU (flexible lightweight rubber like material) might not work because the tension of the pad will make it buckle. If you slicer program has a 'Strength' setting, use that. Also if you print in either PLA, PLA+ or PETG, they'd be more than strong enough. I tried one design, and if you looked at it the wrong way it broke.
But the design I linked works well. There's just enough room to slip the sleeve on the pad in, and once it's mounted, there isn't any strain put on that mount.
You just need to be careful if you pad roll, but you would want to be so the pad can be remounted later.

I'll go with your recommendation. Thanks Again! I'm definitely being too paranoid about breakage.

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #20,249 of 20,374
It's endlessly entertaining to me how much soundstage you can get out of these when they aren't even on your head. If you point them toward your face like this it's almost like listening to speakers.

20230811_202046.jpg

They've got full bass and everything. :beyersmile:

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #20,250 of 20,374

Us Aussies have to live with the 'Australia Tax'. This is based on 2 things. Relatively small population (25 million) and long distance from anywhere. But there are exceptions, like iPhones. They're pretty close to US prices, but mostly we get ripped off for a lot of stuff.
Yeah the rings are still $10, they are slugging me with the postage, going from China to the US, then to Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back