HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #19,951 of 20,386
Try out the Velpads here: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/velpad-for-he400s.html
They add some warmth to the bass, and I like them better
I have the same thing with my 5LE. Once I discovered it I figured it would disintegrate in minutes. No. Eventually I piped 105 db of the most dynamic bass I could find into them for an hour. Hole no bigger. They sound the way they did before I punched the hole in them. Don't worry be happy.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #19,952 of 20,386
Try out the Velpads here: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/velpad-for-he400s.html
They add some warmth to the bass, and I like them better than the stock pads.
Those are also known as velour pads and IMO they are the 2nd or 3rd worse of the 13 pads I tried on the 500's. I found them hot to wear and very diffused and overly warm in the bass. The HFM focus pads are better - and all regulars here know what I prefer - the DCA Ether Angled. I do not like sloppy under damped mid bass - and the Ethers are the flattest from top to bottom with an immensely wide sound stage when paired with no or minimal back screen compared to all others.

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #19,953 of 20,386
Last time had HE-500 invoice dated 2013 something, guessing every unit starts to approach 10 years mark. Such a shame can't buy new one.

Even Hifiman made HE-500SE like HE6SE afraid it would be dynamically nerfed compared to OG as well.
They debuted in 2010. The last new ones sold in '15 I believe. HFM made a total hash out of most of the reissues. The HE-5 SE, 5XX, unnamed 560 Adorama revs.

I do not include the HE-6 SE or SE v2. While neither possess the intense impact in the bass of the OG. However the OG treble is very bright (the earlier and rare 4 screw are unlistenable IMO in the treble) - but unevenly, and at times nails on chalkboard so which indicates a good deal more ringing then the remakes - which also gives them a sense of being more defined. The OG mids also have a smaller image and a deeper one because they are more V shaped. The 500s have a more pleasing and enveloping mid than all 6's BTW. But the 6 SE outside of the usual HFM broad dip at 1775 Hz is fuller than the OG.

Much of the buzz around the 6 is how impossible they were to drive when initially released, the cult status of using 100+ wpc amps to drive them, the unbelievable bass impact, and all the suffering one had to live through in the treble to get to the sound. Also the code sex mod burnished the image even more. It is among the most legendary headphones of all time - in a very small group - after only the Orpheus.

The SE's are easier to drive because amps that put out 4 wpc @ 50 ohms are common place now. They are not expensive in comparison, and because they don't ring as much they are easier and more homogenized a listen. A sin to many die hard devotees of the 6. If I could get a SE v2 that had the same impact as the OG in the bass I would take it every day over the OG 6. Only the code sex version would make me change my mind - and if I didn't like it could sell it for $1500+ in 3 or 4 minutes.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #19,954 of 20,386
Jeez another dupe.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #19,955 of 20,386
This software is run on Android correct? On a cell phone? I tried my 500 on my LG v40 - one of the best cells ever made for high quality headphones and they sound awful. There is nowhere near enough power. What power do you have by spec at 50 ohms?

If it's less than 2 wpc then you'd be the 5th person in this thread that did not need HFM recommendations or those of those familiar with them. They also don't come alive until they play at a decently high SPL - say 80 db peak at least.

In my experience they easily better the 650 - in every way but timbre. Mods and EQ fix that for me.

The stock pads are not good and the stock cable is abominable
I will try a copper cable and put leather ear pads, and so I began to listen to them longer, and I start to like the sound

Aug 29, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #19,956 of 20,386
I will try a copper cable and put leather ear pads, and so I began to listen to them longer, and I start to like the sound.
IMO: angled pads made of leather as a class are best. However I cannot on any basis recommend the Ori.

Any O2 free copper cable - even DIY wipe off the rotten silver plate OG cables. HFM doesn't care much about pads or cables - but the drivers are in large part very capable.

The simple fuzzor mod is the critical one. Pads, rear screen off, parametric EQ all help a good deal. Cables are just behind that. If you like your mid bass damped and somewhat dry like me there is another simple mod for that.

Take it one change at a time if you have the patience and interest. There really isn't a can made today that's a decent match sound wise. It's not in the class of the LCD-4 OG, Susvara, D8000, etc. But a surprising amount of folks well on the way to those or already arrived still find something worthwhile in these.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #19,957 of 20,386
Dekoni velour for T50RP
- the pad is medium porosity
- many velour pads I come across are closed cell foam or so dense it practically closed cell, so I was happy to find this wasn't
- since the pads arent sealing you dont get closed headphone staging or bass bloom / reverb
- comfier than the Dekoni velour for ATH pads I was using previously. The ATH-style pads are a little shallow so ears touch driver.

* Measurements by Minidsp EARS using SBAF compensation

Attachments

• HE500 dekvel t50rp.jpg
    HE500 dekvel t50rp.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #19,958 of 20,386
This software is run on Android correct? On a cell phone? I tried my 500 on my LG v40 - one of the best cells ever made for high quality headphones and they sound awful. There is nowhere near enough power. What power do you have by spec at 50 ohms?

If it's less than 2 wpc then you'd be the 5th person in this thread that did not heed HFM recommendations or those of those familiar with them. They also don't come alive until they play at a decently high SPL - say 80 db peak at least.

In my experience they easily better the 650 - in every way but timbre. Mods and EQ fix that for me.

The stock pads are not good and the stock cable is abominable
forgot to say that s-focus 3 audio is a stationary DAC and amplifier

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #19,960 of 20,386
Sep 14, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #19,961 of 20,386
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #19,962 of 20,386
A new (used) HE-500 owner here.

I have already modded them.
First I direct wired them with a 1.5m 20AWG balanced cable using Litz wire but left the ≈ 3" 27AWG 'header' wires in.
This was a significant improvement and provided me sufficient motivation to continue with my plans for further mods.

And just now removed all 4 of the wimpy (27AWG) header wires and replaced them with short feeds (≈1") of solid 20AWG to which the 20AWG litz wire main cable is soldered.
I immediately noticed an improvement in bass response along with an increase in low level details in the rest of the audio spectrum.
I have also noticed an improvement (instrument solidity and stability and placement in 3d space) in spatial details, not only in the soundstage L to R but also in depth as well.

I have also found that a bass boost of ≈ +15dB at 15Hz with a Q of .52 adds a degree of solidity to the extreme bottom end as well.
And now that the wimpy wire has been removed the above numbers of bass boost may need to be adjusted to better dial all of this in.

My next upgrade will be to replace the outer metal shield with a titanium mesh material.

After that I am planning on changing the felt that is used to couple the driver to the ear cup assembly with a more suitable material, in order to lower the amount of designed in overshoot.
Since the existing felt mounting rings are 'complex', and once I begin there is no turning back because the adhesive backed felt will be destroyed during it's removal, so I need to adequately prepare.
But since I have traveled down this particular path before I have a decent idea of what works and what doesn't.

I also have several ear pads to 'experiment' with.

Thus far I am impressed with the overall SQ of these HP's and much prefer them to any of the Audeze cans I have heard.
And once all of my mods are implemented I will directly compare them to my HD800's which are also heavily modified.

JJ

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #19,963 of 20,386
A new (used) HE-500 owner here.

I have already modded them.
First I direct wired them with a 1.5m 20AWG balanced cable using Litz wire but left the ≈ 3" 27AWG 'header' wires in.
This was a significant improvement and provided me sufficient motivation to continue with my plans for further mods.

And just now removed all 4 of the wimpy (27AWG) header wires and replaced them with short feeds (≈1") of solid 20AWG to which the 20AWG litz wire main cable is soldered.
I immediately noticed an improvement in bass response along with an increase in low level details in the rest of the audio spectrum.
I have also noticed an improvement (instrument solidity and stability and placement in 3d space) in spatial details, not only in the soundstage L to R but also in depth as well.
Very interesting. I've done a lot with mine but not the internals wiring.
I have also found that a bass boost of ≈ +15dB at 15Hz with a Q of .52 adds a degree of solidity to the extreme bottom end as well.
Umm wow. Pretty sure the resonance is around 30 Hz. By making them flap around at subsonic frequencies you may be adding a lot of distortion in areas you can hear.
And now that the wimpy wire has been removed the above numbers of bass boost may need to be adjusted to better dial all of this in.

My next upgrade will be to replace the outer metal shield with a titanium mesh material.
I couldn't verify the magnetic nature of the stock mesh having an effect. I tried aluminum and stainless. It's the amount of air vs mesh material that matters. At 90% open its indistinguishable from no mesh to me. At 75% its audible. I just did away with all of it for over 3 years, no screens, no issues.
After that I am planning on changing the felt that is used to couple the driver to the ear cup assembly with a more suitable material, in order to lower the amount of designed in overshoot.
Since the existing felt mounting rings are 'complex', and once I begin there is no turning back because the adhesive backed felt will be destroyed during it's removal, so I need to adequately prepare.
But since I have traveled down this particular path before I have a decent idea of what works and what doesn't.
Another area I haven't tried out.
I also have several ear pads to 'experiment' with.

Thus far I am impressed with the overall SQ of these HP's and much prefer them to any of the Audeze cans I have heard.
And once all of my mods are implemented I will directly compare them to my HD800's which are also heavily modified.

JJ
Pads make a good amount of difference. But the fuzzor is the biggest improvement I've found.

Big fan of the 500 as my posts here will show but I'd trade it for an OG LCD-4 no problem.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #19,964 of 20,386
Very interesting. I've done a lot with mine but not the internals wiring.
I have found that wiring can have significant impacts and in a variety of SQ area's, most notably in bass and what I call 'Leading Edge Dynamic Impact' (LEDI) regardless of frequency. Such things a piccolo's, piano's, cymbals, even brush strokes on hi-hats etc. with 'sharp' leading edges benefit from improved dynamics which better wiring can deliver.

I have also found that wire length, as in the main cable length itself, can also play a significant role in delivery of dynamic's, ie the shorter the better.
Of course there is a practical limit, which is why all my HP cables are 1.5m (≈5') in length.

Umm wow. Pretty sure the resonance is around 30 Hz. By making them flap around at subsonic frequencies you may be adding a lot of distortion in areas you can hear.
If there is a problem with resonance at those frequencies I'm sure it will stick out and I'll figure a way to deal with it, one way or another.
But thus far all of my deep bass tracks, which I have collected quite a collection of over the years, just for this very purpose of exploring the very bottom end, have not 'stuck out' at least yet.
And some of those tracks reach down below 20Hz and have 'thumped' my chest, which is a unique experience in and of itself.

But paying attention to digital overload (clipping) is a must using +15dB, even if it only applies to the last 2-3 octaves where there is usually very little acoustic energy in the vast majority of music in the first place.

But thanks for the heads up, and so I'll 'push the envelope' so to speak just to see if this is a problem.

I couldn't verify the magnetic nature of the stock mesh having an effect. I tried aluminum and stainless. It's the amount of air vs mesh material that matters. At 90% open its indistinguishable from no mesh to me. At 75% its audible. I just did away with all of it for over 3 years, no screens, no issues.
The stock screens are magnetic and while there is a sonic change with them removed I haven't fully explored the net effect of their removal quite yet.

One thing I have noticed is if you remove the stock screen and hold it between your fingers and 'excite it' with a metal tool of some sort and feel the screen resonate, it is relatively quite strong, which surprised me, which I can't see as anything but a detriment.

And I hope that the titanium screens will have much less of this physical resonance characteristic, but you're right, no screen to resonate is better than a reduced resonance screen.
Another area I haven't tried out.
Overshoot has been an area of research for me for years now and reducing it has resulted in significant beneficial results. And since manufacturers (with a few exceptions) tend to 'over use' it to make the cans sell better, much to us long term users detriment, I have jumped down this rabbit hole with gratifying results.

Most people assume that frequency response anomalies are the source of the acoustic 'problems' and use EQ or dampening of some sort, and as a result aren't really dealing with the cause of the 'problem', at least that is what I have observed.

Instead I have focused on the over use of overshoot, and I have found 'better' results in solving not only the 'problems' but reaping additional sonic and acoustic benefits, well beyond mere frequency anomalies.
Pads make a good amount of difference. But the fuzzor is the biggest improvement I've found.
I do have pad mods on the list and the brainwavz hybrid pads I am now using seem adequate at least for now.
And I think I might be able to get my hands on a set of the holey rebuilt pads (I forget their name) to use in a comparison between my cans and another set, which should prove to be quite a reveal in and of itself.

So after the mods I have lined up and then get implemented are finished, I figure the fuzzor mod will be last.

And my 71A amp which has 32Ω output taps needs new tubes, which should REALLY light these cans up.

JJ

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #19,965 of 20,386
Did the HE-500 have any damping material between the grills and the back of the drivers? I have an older one which I bought used that the grill mesh has been removed from and there is nothing but a clear view of the back of the drivers. For example, my stock HE-6 has cotton damping material and a foam circle behind the drivers. I would like to revert the HE-500 back to the stock tuning and want to make sure that buying replacement grills is all that I will need. Any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back