HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 1, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #19,861 of 20,386
May 3, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #19,862 of 20,386
Does anyone have a good solution for a replacement headband? mine starting coming apart on the left side.

This method seems really difficult to find the yolk kit online, although I'm open to doing it if someone had a spare kit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ducing_the_audiman_lcd500_with_special_guest/
Try contacting The Source AV Design Group (https://thesourceav.com/), that's where I got my yoke kit a while back. Not sure if they have them anymore.
I got a whole bunch of extra screws for the cup housing and washers if you are interested, and I used these black spacers which is different from what that guy on Reddit did. Takes away the need to bend the yokes.

11531786.jpg

May 3, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #19,863 of 20,386
For cheap (nothing if you have a 4XX). Light, good comfort. Have the 500 band on the 4XX but given I don't like the 4XX I can't report on the 500 band combo.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #19,864 of 20,386
Never tried ZMF's. But none of the perforated /fenestrated ones I tried seemed quite right in the bass. But could be good.

Not a fan of felts and I really hate the Ori.

With the screens off, fuzzor, and the DCA Ether - never heard another combo sound as good....
I was poking around dca’s website and it is possible they’ve made some changes to their pads. I’m seeing some name changes, such as “original ether 2” instead of angled, and a new “peel able” pad system. Ouch!

https://danclarkaudio.com/original-ether-2-ear-pads.html

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #19,865 of 20,386
Jun 2, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #19,866 of 20,386
get the ETHER Flow Angled Ear Pads and you will be fine.
Ah! This is why I’m part of this community - because it’s full of people smarter than I am :).

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #19,867 of 20,386
Is there anything special to watch out for when buying a used pair, the only things I’ve noticed is that if I touch the cable somewhat near the connector or the connector itself the sound cuts out. Also, the circular part with the "Hifiman HE-500" label on it where yoke and headband meet seems to be glued together, is that normal? Standard pad recommendation = Focus pads A? (and ZMF Ori for less treble)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #19,868 of 20,386
Is there anything special to watch out for when buying a used pair, the only things I’ve noticed is that if I touch the cable somewhat near the connector or the connector itself the sound cuts out. Also, the circular part with the "Hifiman HE-500" label on it where yolk and headband meet seems to be glued together, is that normal? Standard pad recommendation = Focus pads A? (and ZMF Ori for less treble)
Not a fan of the focus pads, but I love these with Ori pads. There are others who don't who have made that clear but I think it's an excellent pairing.

I also love them with standard velour pads but those brighten up the top end a little bit whereas Ori sounds more organic, lush, and chill.

I'm not into pad rolling in general, I hate messing with pads but the HE-500 is an exception as they really are worth playing with and fit with a large range of pads.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #19,869 of 20,386
Is there anything special to watch out for when buying a used pair, the only things I’ve noticed is that if I touch the cable somewhat near the connector or the connector itself the sound cuts out. Also, the circular part with the "Hifiman HE-500" label on it where yolk and headband meet seems to be glued together, is that normal? Standard pad recommendation = Focus pads A? (and ZMF Ori for less treble)
You’ll get a lot of differing opinions on the best pad choice. For me, the Focus-A pads sound the most natural, the Sundara (Pali) pads are similar but have tighter bass and less soundstage. The stock velour pads are good, but they are just too uncomfortable for me. I’ve also tried the Ether Angled pads, those have the best and most impactful bass but also a bit recessed in the upper mids. Try out a few to see what you like best.

The connector shouldn’t cut out as long as you have the cable screwed in far enough. You should check the cable with a multimeter or try a different cable if you’re having issues.

And yes, the round part is glued to the headband normally. If you’re worried about longevity or want more comfort, look up how to do an Audeze headband mod.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #19,870 of 20,386
Ori also kills the sound stage and increases mid bass - not needed.

DCA Ether Angled pads - very balanced between bass/mids/treble. Nicer with the rear screen off or improved.

Nice mods available and EQ helps.

Are u able to inspect before purchase? Take off rear screen and Take a 4-5x magnifying lens with good lighting and look for any issues with the mylar (keep angling so shadows don't stop you.) The stock cables are absolute junk (silver thin) probably they were not screwed in all the way.
The head piece if in working order is a replacement or sign of little use.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #19,872 of 20,386
The HE-500 is still one of my favourites till this date. I lost all confidence in Hifiman but my HE-500 are still going strong.
A proper cable is needed. That stock thing is not worthy of the name cable imo.
Yeah that stock cable stinks. Like my HE-6SE v1 and HEX v2 a lot. Have/had more HFM - no real QC issues. But almost all have crap cables and pads.

500 is great but greater with mods and EQ.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #19,873 of 20,386
Yeah that stock cable stinks. Like my HE-6SE v1 and HEX v2 a lot. Have/had more HFM - no real QC issues. But almost all have crap cables and pads.

500 is great but greater with mods and EQ.
I've sent 3 pairs of HE6se's back to them within 2 months; all with the same issue. 2 Different hifiman yokes broke because.. well they did. My last tank died cause I threw a DT 770 at it.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #19,874 of 20,386
I've sent 3 pairs of HE6se's back to them within 2 months; all with the same issue. 2 Different hifiman yokes broke because.. well they did. My last tank died cause I threw a DT 770 at it.
V2 or. V1?

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #19,875 of 20,386
I sold my adorama he6se because I was worried of magnet issues in the future. It worked out, as I was able to re-acquire a he-500 for less, and had a spare set of alpha pads. They wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I like them more than stock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back