HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #19,816 of 20,374
Really? And here i thought Hifiman has to have a sucessor to the HE-500 with similiar sound characteristics but better technicalities.
Better technicalities, yes. Similar sound characteristics, nope (IMO). Then again, I have only tried the one's in my signature and the Ananda.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #19,817 of 20,374
I'm sorry, this is a long thread to wade through. What are the "easy" aftermarket things I can do to the HE-500's besides changing the cable? What are good ear pad I can get and where can I get them? Is removing the foam thingie on the inside something that people do? Thanks
1. Fuzzor mod - increases focus and tone by reducing cancellations and excess reflections.
2. DCA Ether Angled pads - well ahead of other types I've tested (12).
4. Any O2 free cables over the dreck stock ones
3. Removal of the back screen entirely or more open (less metal, more open than stock)
5. A little dynamat on the outside edge of the can - along the inside base of the screen holding edge. Way better than tack.
6. Digital Parametric EQ.
7. 4 WPC @ 38 ohms.

I have written in a lot of details on what those mods are, how to do them and what they do.

The fuzzor is the key mod and to a decent extent is similar to the new stealth models.

Modded in this way they rival HE-6SE's, have more pleasing mids and much less ringing than the OG HE-6 but of course not the bass. Have better bass tone than Ananda/HEX v2/XS not as transparent but not as thin with more realistic body. I even think it's better than the first two Arya models.

They are worth the trouble if you like to go to the trouble. However a new stock XS sounds pretty fine next to a stock 500, is 7-11 years younger and is easier to drive. Perfect for the plug and play crowd.

I believe the 500 with its fairly warm/THD mids is a classic but it's also a bit of a cult thing too.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #19,818 of 20,374
Really? And here i thought Hifiman has to have a sucessor to the HE-500 with similiar sound characteristics but better technicalities.
Hmmmm. 6SE more technical but also lacking warmth. HE5SE an incredible piece of junk, except the XS all the long cups unlike the 500. That joke 500 "remake" dreadful.

I'd say the XS is the closest thing to the 500. Susvara on tubes and a limpid DAC would be somewhat similar but way better.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #19,819 of 20,374
Just want to add another opinion for those considering shelling out $80 - I have the angled Ethers, and I don't like them. The opening is rectangular and covers up some of the driver, and they almost make the headphone sound a bit muddy and distant.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #19,821 of 20,374
Just want to add another opinion for those considering shelling out $80 - I have the angled Ethers, and I don't like them. The opening is rectangular and covers up some of the driver, and they almost make the headphone sound a bit muddy and distant.
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences with the Ethers. I've read that they were great with the HE500 but shelling out $90 USD + shipping to Canada wasn't particularly high on the list of priorities. I am currently running FocusPads with them but just picked up another pair of Velpads from Hifiman. I tried the Velpads with my 4-screw HE6 and really liked how they sound - close to the original but are softer and a bit more comfortable.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #19,822 of 20,374
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This is how I got mine:

In a run-off off 10 pads at the 4 letter site, the Ethers were judged the most coherent and flatest from top to bottom. In my testing of 12 pads they have by far the widest soundstage - enhanced even more by removal of the rear screen. There have been quite a few over the years that swear by them.

I think covering up some of the edge of the driver makes them less smear in the mids. The most open pads I ever tried were the DCA for the Voce which are like 15 profile tires (IE very narrow). Very smeared mids. I think the edges of the drivers might be behind the middle of the driver. OTOH the ZMF Ori Lambskins cover more of the driver and they have the smallest soundstage, muted mid treble, and sluggy/veiled bass of all 13 I've tried so too much coverage is not good either.

I find the bass to be poor on all velour pads, and no fenestrated pads seem to work either although the Velpads were the best of that bunch.

Now I have not heard the jerg pads, and a whole host of others. I did try a fat far east fakes which were laughably bad. The pad that the 6SE comes with - palipad is poor on the 500 also.

I use the Ethers on my 6SE v1, and they are good, but not quite the glove fit they have with the 500. I used them on the 5SE, 400i, 4XX, 5LE, 6, They really work well on the 5LE and 6, the other cans are bottom feeders and it didn't bring their level up much. Nor did cables, a class A amp, back screen off, etc. They just can't be improved.

Apr 10, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #19,823 of 20,374
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This is how I got mine:

In a run-off off 10 pads at the 4 letter site, the Ethers were judged the most coherent and flatest from top to bottom. In my testing of 12 pads they have by far the widest soundstage - enhanced even more by removal of the rear screen. There have been quite a few over the years that swear by them.

I think covering up some of the edge of the driver makes them less smear in the mids. The most open pads I ever tried were the DCA for the Voce which are like 15 profile tires (IE very narrow). Very smeared mids. I think the edges of the drivers might be behind the middle of the driver. OTOH the ZMF Ori Lambskins cover more of the driver and they have the smallest soundstage, muted mid treble, and sluggy/veiled bass of all 13 I've tried so too much coverage is not good either.

I find the bass to be poor on all velour pads, and no fenestrated pads seem to work either although the Velpads were the best of that bunch.

Now I have not heard the jerg pads, and a whole host of others. I did try a fat far east fakes which were laughably bad. The pad that the 6SE comes with - palipad is poor on the 500 also.

I use the Ethers on my 6SE v1, and they are good, but not quite the glove fit they have with the 500. I used them on the 5SE, 400i, 4XX, 5LE, 6, They really work well on the 5LE and 6, the other cans are bottom feeders and it didn't bring their level up much. Nor did cables, a class A amp, back screen off, etc. They just can't be improved.

I've done my own measurements, and leather pads generally have a bit flatter sub bass extension, but honestly it's not that noticeable in an actual listening session. I'd also never choose measured bass extension over complete tonality.

We can look at frequency response graphs, other people's opinions, etc. but obviously we're never going to know what we personally think of something unless we listen ourselves. And clearly FR graphs aren't going to tell the whole tale, as the shapes of these pads, driver distance, etc. reflect the sound in different and complex ways into the ear canal. In terms of blocking the driver with a rectangular opening though, I just can't see how that, and creating more internal reflections, could be a good thing.

The Audeze vegans were what was being recommended a few years back - they still have the best soundstage I've heard in terms of the HE-500, with good bass extension, but the treble is muted and they also sound rather muddy.

Also, just want to clarify that I'm not a treblehead, quite the opposite. But when I tried the Ether angled for a few weeks, and switched back to my HD 650, the more dark-leaning 650s actually sounded more resolving overall, as well as having seemingly more perceived treble presence.

For me personally, I just don't want that type of signature from my HE-500s. If someone were to want a sound somewhere within the realm of the stock velour, I would not recommend the Ether angled - I'd recommend the Focus Pad As. But this is all just my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #19,824 of 20,374
If someone were to want a sound somewhere within the realm of the stock velour, I would not recommend the Ether angled - I'd recommend the Focus Pad As.
This is the exact distinction here. If one prefers the velour sound, this is not an equivalent "upgrade" for that sound. However, I would definitely not say the focuspads are either--the focuspads place an emphasis on mid-bass.

There are tradeoffs with every pad which is why this is a very subjective thing and why these headphones are great. Just like tubes, people can find their own favorite tuning.

I've done my own measurements, and leather pads generally have a bit flatter sub bass extension, but honestly it's not that noticeable in an actual listening session. I'd also never choose measured bass extension over complete tonality.
It is not just measured, it is heard and felt. Bass extension is categorically better than velour or focuspads. Doesn't even come close. If you do not hear this, your amplifier/source is not good enough.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #19,825 of 20,374
This is the exact distinction here. If one prefers the velour sound, this is not an equivalent "upgrade" for that sound. However, I would definitely not say the focuspads are either--the focuspads place an emphasis on mid-bass.

There are tradeoffs with every pad which is why this is a very subjective thing and why these headphones are great. Just like tubes, people can find their own favorite tuning.

It is not just measured, it is heard and felt. Bass extension is categorically better than velour or focuspads. Doesn't even come close. If you do not hear this, your amplifier/source is not good enough.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the regular Focus Pads, I'm talking about the Focus Pad As. They're similar, but not the same.

We're talking about 1-3 dB difference at 10-30 Hz, so yes, it does "come close". And like I said, I would never choose that over complete tonality - not to mention that many songs roll off or even do a hard cut at these frequencies. The Asgard 3 has more than enough power for the HE-500, and you responding in a semi-rude manner (suggesting my equipment or my ears aren't good enough) isn't going to change my opinion on my pad choices.

Edit: This is the kind of difference we're dealing with here. I couldn't find any of my more recent measurements, but I have the regular focus pads vs. the vegans - the latter of which has a flat response just like the Ethers.

Blue is stock, yellow is the regular focus pads, purple is the vegans:

HE-500_focuspads_vs_vegan.jpg

1-3 dB difference at 10-30 Hz. If that's what you want to place the emphasis on when choosing a pad, then by all means do so. I personally don't.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #19,826 of 20,374

We can look at frequency response graphs, other people's opinions, etc. but obviously we're never going to know what we personally think of something unless we listen ourselves. And clearly FR graphs aren't going to tell the whole tale, as the shapes of these pads, driver distance, etc. reflect the sound in different and complex ways into the ear canal. In terms of blocking the driver with a rectangular opening though, I just can't see how that, and creating more internal reflections, could be a good thing.

The Audeze vegans were what was being recommended a few years back - they still have the best soundstage I've heard in terms of the HE-500, with good bass extension, but the treble is muted and they also sound rather muddy.

Also, just want to clarify that I'm not a treblehead, quite the opposite. But when I tried the Ether angled for a few weeks, and switched back to my HD 650, the more dark-leaning 650s actually sounded more resolving overall, as well as having seemingly more perceived treble presence.

For me personally, I just don't want that type of signature from my HE-500s. If someone were to want a sound somewhere within the realm of the stock velour, I would not recommend the Ether angled - I'd recommend the Focus Pad As. But this is all just my opinion.
I can go along with all of this but one thing. Now my 500's are modded and I haven't had the back screens on for about 2 years (after installing screens that were considerably more open than stock). I also use EQ to mute areas of ringing in the treble a bit. Also our 500's could be different. But the treble I get crushes the 650 I have access to in every way I can list.

Besides bass tones I don't measure. I use recordings of considerable quality of artists I have seen in a audibly good setting, or are classics I have heard many times on elite speaker based systems. I check my VAC. My DAC and amp have been on for months. I don't critically listen unless I'm well rested and stress and headache free. Getting my EQ set for the 500 I probably heard some recordings over 20 times.

All that being said, my lightly modded HE-6SE v1 is a better can in most ways. My HD-600 on my BHCs is probably more seductive in the mids. But the 500's are still classics. Even with different pads, amps, etc. you can always tell its them.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #19,827 of 20,374
I don't know what it is, but to my ears, the stock velour pads have noticeably more impact, dynamics, slam, whatever you want to call it, than any of the other Hifiman or Dekoni offerings. It's too bad they are a little uncomfortable, but they are slowly conforming to my head shape so perhaps that will improve. I'm thinking these older HE-500 and HE-6 drivers were designed with the stock pads in mind, while the new 560, 400i, Sundara, etc, all are designed with the Focus-style pads with more seal. With the Hifiman Focus pads and the Dekoni pads, it feels like some of the impact is being absorbed by the material, or the tighter seal affects the bass somehow. Only speculating here though.

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #19,828 of 20,374
I don't know what it is, but to my ears, the stock velour pads have noticeably more impact, dynamics, slam, whatever you want to call it, than any of the other Hifiman or Dekoni offerings. It's too bad they are a little uncomfortable, but they are slowly conforming to my head shape so perhaps that will improve. I'm thinking these older HE-500 and HE-6 drivers were designed with the stock pads in mind, while the new 560, 400i, Sundara, etc, all are designed with the Focus-style pads with more seal. With the Hifiman Focus pads and the Dekoni pads, it feels like some of the impact is being absorbed by the material, or the tighter seal affects the bass somehow. Only speculating here though.
The velpads sound just about identical to the stock velour pads but are not so hard and much more comfortable. $15.

Apr 11, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #19,829 of 20,374
The velpads sound just about identical to the stock velour pads but are not so hard and much more comfortable. $15.
Yeah I did try those velpads, excellent midrange and treble but they lack that last bit of sub bass extension I'm looking for. Still, I may just use those and experiment with EQ in the sub bass, the HE-500 does take very well to EQ in my experience.

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #19,830 of 20,374
I don't know what it is, but to my ears, the stock velour pads have noticeably more impact, dynamics, slam, whatever you want to call it, than any of the other Hifiman or Dekoni offerings. It's too bad they are a little uncomfortable, but they are slowly conforming to my head shape so perhaps that will improve. I'm thinking these older HE-500 and HE-6 drivers were designed with the stock pads in mind, while the new 560, 400i, Sundara, etc, all are designed with the Focus-style pads with more seal. Ying the Hifiman Focus pads and the Dekoni pads, it feels like some of the impact is being absorbed by the material, or the tighter seal affects the bass somehow. Only speculating here though.
Well written but my take on the 6 and 500 is the drivers are masterpieces and the pads, cable (that stock 500 stuff is trash), back screen etc are careless add ons. The rear screen is audibly inferior to screens that are more open. That cable and the rubbish on the 5SE, 6SE, HEX v2, is proof that HFM does not focus on cables. I came here in '16 saying I didn't believe in cable differences. Well HFM with the 5LE, 4XX, 400i and the others? Audibly not normal. A DIY O2 cable buries them. Pads? Pali pads, focus, etc. Hooey. I do like the pads on the HEX v2 and Susvara. And the headbands. Heavy or flimsy, make noises, fail early. The HEX v2 is the one that's good. And what did they do? put rubbish on the Ananda and the XS to save $3 67. No can't agree. And aftermarket pads, the best of them smoke the HFM IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back