HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 2, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #19,711 of 20,374
Once the Q of the bass is lowered with Sorb and/or Dynamat I agree the bass can do without EQ.

However adding these changes: (analog bell 2 on a parametric EQ)

* the big dip 1840 Hz (+2.8 db Q 2.20) - hollow smokers voice female singers w/o change. A must IMO.
* the slight raise in mids at about 980 Hz (-1.3 db Q 2.60) - if not set, 1840 Hz setting makes mids too dominant/warmfat
* between 3400-4500 Hz (unit variation, search for it - 4460 for me) is ringing. set-3.0 db Q 7.70 - makes voices and other things sound gritty/sharp - add 1840 Hz cuts it a bit, but this puts in the knife.
* between 8600-9850 Hz (9840 for me) there is ringing find it and apply -2.8 db @ Hz Q 7.60) quite important.
* back to bass: but because of the screen gone and non sealed cup/pad I add 2.4 db @ 34 Hz, with a Q of 1.05 (Low Shelf) - but it isn't required.

There are other places to make changes, but the net effect is trivial. I found my recommended EQ settings from 6 motnhs ago - rubbish. Either listen to the experts or plumb the depths yourself - and keep at it.
Thanks for sharing the EQ settings. What type of pads are you running with the HE500s when you came up with the settings?
I only ask because I am running stock velours and found an improvement with your setting; however, I am considering a pad change to the Focus Pads for comfort.

How do variations in pads factor into the settings?

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #19,712 of 20,374
Thanks for sharing the EQ settings. What type of pads are you running with the HE500s when you came up with the settings?
I only ask because I am running stock velours and found an improvement with your setting; however, I am considering a pad change to the Focus Pads for comfort.

How do variations in pads factor into the settings?
I use Dan Clark Ether Angled Lambskin on HE500, HE-6se v1, HE-5LE, MD-4XX. (on both sites these pads get more #1 comments than any other (500 & 6 both).

Check out the SBAF thread on pad rolling for the HE-6 (very similar to the 500) there are about 10 diff pads measured, and they all vary - in the highs sometimes a good deal.

Glad you like them. Isolate one at a time to see what the diff is, then turn back on, and go a bit lower and higher with more or less db and Q. If you try 30 diff combos I'd wager you'd find 1-N that sound better than mine to you - pads diffs, ear diffs, equipment diffs, taste diffs and of course slight manufacturing diffs add up to a big delta.

It's pretty time consuming but I like the sound better (quite a bit), and the midrange now tonally fits in with my speakers: Cizek 1, ProAc Tablette, Triangle 202 w/ Fountek ribbon. All of them rebuilt and wired with better caps and tweeters.. These speakers are all known for very nice mids. New tweets and caps cut down a lot of halo cruft and add clarity. Replacement of shot connections, wires, etc. only serve to solidify those improvements.

Enjoy the process. Of course if I had say $10k a year to spend I wouldn't invest the time, but, no such luck.

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #19,713 of 20,374
I use Dan Clark Ether Angled Lambskin on HE500, HE-6se v1, HE-5LE, MD-4XX. (on both sites these pads get more #1 comments than any other (500 & 6 both).

Check out the SBAF thread on pad rolling for the HE-6 (very similar to the 500) there are about 10 diff pads measured, and they all vary - in the highs sometimes a good deal.

Glad you like them. Isolate one at a time to see what the diff is, then turn back on, and go a bit lower and higher with more or less db and Q. If you try 30 diff combos I'd wager you'd find 1-N that sound better than mine to you - pads diffs, ear diffs, equipment diffs, taste diffs and of course slight manufacturing diffs add up to a big delta.

It's pretty time consuming but I like the sound better (quite a bit), and the midrange now tonally fits in with my speakers: Cizek 1, ProAc Tablette, Triangle 202 w/ Fountek ribbon. All of them rebuilt and wired with better caps and tweeters.. These speakers are all known for very nice mids. New tweets and caps cut down a lot of halo cruft and add clarity. Replacement of shot connections, wires, etc. only serve to solidify those improvements.

Enjoy the process. Of course if I had say $10k a year to spend I wouldn't invest the time, but, no such luck.
I got a pair of Ether angled pads a few days ago but I haven't tried them yet since I've been entertaining other headphones I got in. I'll try and check them out sooner than later on my he500. I'm looking forward to it!

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #19,714 of 20,374
It would be brighter than the HE-500 yes. But the HE-500 is leaning towards the warmer side of neutral, so the HD800 would be the counterpart for it. I can't tell you if it's "too bright" as we have different sensitivities; some owners find the HD800 stock tuning pleasant to their ears.
Having reheard the 800S vs my modded HE-500, there is no question that on my SS amp (Rag 1) the 800S is brighter in the highs, and the 500 is warmer in the mids and wipes the floor with the 800S under 50 Hz. OTOH on my BHCS tube amp the 800S takes on a warmer somewhat liquid sound. Its like w/ SS the particles are more prevalent than waves, but more waves than particles with BHCS. I find it a good deal more seductive and pleasant - OTOH the bass isn't as crisp and the soundstage isn't as good.

If you really mean the 800 vs the 500, the 800 is a good deal more bright, but the bass is more accurate if lacking oomph under 50 Hz. (esp stock 500 which tends to chubbiness).

Oct 8, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #19,715 of 20,374
Having reheard the 800S vs my modded HE-500, there is no question that on my SS amp (Rag 1) the 800S is brighter in the highs, and the 500 is warmer in the mids and wipes the floor with the 800S under 50 Hz. OTOH on my BHCS tube amp the 800S takes on a warmer somewhat liquid sound. Its like w/ SS the particles are more prevalent than waves, but more waves than particles with BHCS. I find it a good deal more seductive and pleasant - OTOH the bass isn't as crisp and the soundstage isn't as good.

If you really mean the 800 vs the 500, the 800 is a good deal more bright, but the bass is more accurate if lacking oomph under 50 Hz. (esp stock 500 which tends to chubbiness).
I currently have an SDR modded HD800, and also had a non-SDR modded HD800 previously. My HE-500 currently has the Audeze Dekoni Elite Velour, which tilts it a lot to the warmer tonality. Will agree the HD800 bass is very good in reproducing bass notes, especially for bass solos, But with both EQ'd, they're equally enjoyable and each have their slight advantages. Neither is overwhelmingly better than the other.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #19,716 of 20,374
I currently have an SDR modded HD800, and also had a non-SDR modded HD800 previously. My HE-500 currently has the Audeze Dekoni Elite Velour, which tilts it a lot to the warmer tonality. Will agree the HD800 bass is very good in reproducing bass notes, especially for bass solos, But with both EQ'd, they're equally enjoyable and each have their slight advantages. Neither is overwhelmingly better than the other.
Certainly agree overall. 800 on a OTL amp remains a goal for me. But the enjoyment I get out of my 500 is notable.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #19,717 of 20,374
After long last managed to snatch pair of HE500 (focuspad-a) back! They sound too good, idk what brain malfunction occurred when sold previous ones.

Liquid mids & treble, natural timbre, great soundstage, slam + imaging.

Focal Clears are struggling very hard in A/B. HE500 bests it in categories mentioned above and overall HE500 is better, sorry Clears.

If Hifiman manufactured HE500 again i would gladly buy brand new pair with warranty for 1000€.

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #19,718 of 20,374
After long last managed to snatch pair of HE500 (focuspad-a) back! They sound too good, idk what brain malfunction occurred when sold previous ones.

Focal Clears are struggling very hard in A/B. HE500 bests it in categories mentioned above and overall HE500 is better, sorry Clears.

If Hifiman manufactured HE500 again i would gladly buy brand new pair with warranty for 1000€.
Congrats and enjoy. Clear and he500 are two different sound eventually. Both are nice sounding.

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #19,719 of 20,374

I definitely think the HE-500 beats the original Clears. For me, the new Clear MG brings something new to the table that I wasn't getting with the original. I think the HE-500 and Clear MG are good compliments.
The fact that the HE-500 competes with headphones $1,500+ and even beats them in many regards is just amazing.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #19,720 of 20,374

Congrats on being able to snag this unicorn.

Initially the Clear OG and HE-500 were very similar sounding and was a bit tricky to distinguish the distinction of their tonality. Listening to the differences more intently, the Clear lost out on treble refinement and head stage (but they win on overall dynamics and comfort). You can take a guess which one had to go and which one stayed. They're quite similar sounding that if someone asked me what's a good alternative if I want the HE-500 sound, the Clear OG is among the ones I'd point to. They're more similar than different in my experience.

To be fair, the HE-500 was priced near $1k when it was first released, but in today's used market they're quite a bargain (so long as scalpers don't overprice them).

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #19,721 of 20,374
I just took my HE500 out of the closet after several years. These were my first real high-end headphone, and I've been on a real journey since.
The original box has degraded to the point where it's not salvageable. Crappy glue, I guess.

It's going to take some time for my brain to re-adjust to the sound of these, after using an HD800SDR and LCD-XC as my daily drivers for so long.
I had last used them with a set of angled HM5 pads, but I just threw those out - too much material made them sound muddy. Back to the stock pads for now.

For the headphone itself - I think it's time for a refresh. This week I'm to order the new "comfort" headband, some new Focus-A pads, new aluminum mounting rings, and maybe a 3.5mm mod.

What's the consensus on pads? Focus-A or regular Focus?

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #19,722 of 20,374
I just took my HE500 out of the closet after several years. These were my first real high-end headphone, and I've been on a real journey since.
The original box has degraded to the point where it's not salvageable. Crappy glue, I guess.

It's going to take some time for my brain to re-adjust to the sound of these, after using an HD800SDR and LCD-XC as my daily drivers for so long.
I had last used them with a set of angled HM5 pads, but I just threw those out - too much material made them sound muddy. Back to the stock pads for now.

For the headphone itself - I think it's time for a refresh. This week I'm to order the new "comfort" headband, some new Focus-A pads, new aluminum mounting rings, and maybe a 3.5mm mod.

I personally prefer the sound and comfort of the Sundara (Pali) pads, but I also really like the Focus-A. I never tried the regular Focus pads though.
I also want to do a connector mod, got some A2DC connectors on the way to experiment with since they seem small enough to fit in the cup holes. But do let us know how the 3.5mm mod goes if you end up doing that!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #19,723 of 20,374

Go to the 4 letter site and see the 10-12 pad compare on the HE-6, HE-500, HE-560, HE-4, HE-5. I agree with most common pick over there - the Dan Clark Ether Angled Lambskin. Most linear FR. Widest stage. Best details. The 500 needs mods and an EQ to run with the cans of today, once it has them there is nothing under $1k besides maybe the HE-6se v2. BTW your stock cables are really poor. Any O2 cable clubs the originals. I didn't see what you are running them on - 4 wpc at 50 ohms hopefully 2 wpc at least.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #19,724 of 20,374
Go to the 4 letter site and see the 10-12 pad compare on the HE-6, HE-500, HE-560, HE-4, HE-5. I agree with most common pick over there - the Dan Clark Ether Angled Lambskin. Most linear FR. Widest stage. Best details. The 500 needs mods and an EQ to run with the cans of today, once it has them there is nothing under $1k besides maybe the HE-6se v2. BTW your stock cables are really poor. Any O2 cable clubs the originals. I didn't see what you are running them on - 4 wpc at 50 ohms hopefully 2 wpc at least.

Right now, the most powerful amp I have is an iFi micro iDSD BL. I sold my other amps when I stopped using really power-hungry cans.

I had a Lyr for a while, but if I was getting something new today I’d want purely solid state.

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #19,725 of 20,374
On top of what's already recommended for the last couple of posts, you could also go for the Velpads for HE400S, though it may sway it on the warmer side given it's velour material. I'm looking to try that at some point but currently have the Dekoni Audeze Elite Velour on my HE-500, making them sound warmer as a contrast to the HD800 SDR mod. Nothing a little EQ adjusts for some of the abundant midrange forwardness the pads introduce.

Right now, the most powerful amp I have is an iFi micro iDSD BL
I have the same and currently using my cans with it. Works as intended and the XBass boost reduces my need for EQ'ing the bass for the HD800 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back