HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 6, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #19,336 of 20,386
From what I gathered they just don't have the tooling to make HE500 & HE6 drivers anymore, reason why they went HE6SE that has little to do with the original one apparently.

I was also interested in Edition XX that cosmetically looks like a cheaper Ananda but it would have been confirmed that drivers aren't quite as sophisticated and it ended up being a bait considering its $500 cost when you can get Ananda BNIB for $550/600

My Adorama HE5SE was really an epic failure, very bright, no bass, hated it.

Interesting. I agree on the tooling and almost mentioned it in my post.

The XX is not like the Ananda. It's like the HEX v2 with less technicals and a more inconsistent FR. Plus ample QC complaints.

I hated the 6se at first. For two things the pads are a brutal match, and the cable is perhaps the worst stock cable I've come across. Fix those two problems, take off rear screen, and add 3 parametric EQ settings: 1.8 kHz +3.3 db Q .75, 4 kHz -2.4 db Q 1.2, 32 Hz +2.2 db Q 1.0. and viola better than the 500, HEX v2, or Arya. It's only shortcoming is staging (instrument separation very good) but head stage, it's a C/C-, and yes it doesn't thump with the HE-6 - but it is cleaner, and more coherent top to bottom. But doesn't do impact like HE-6.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #19,337 of 20,386
That's kind of a moot point IME as headphone listening requires EQ to begin with: http://davidgriesinger.com/headphones.htm
the coupling of high frequencies to the eardrum varies greatly among individuals. It is influenced by the volume of the concha, the diameter and geometry of the ear canal, the eardrum impedance and other factors. Lacking probe microphone measurements at the eardrum, the best way to equalize a headphone is by listening.
And here's another great tutorial: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial.413900/

When I disable EQ meant to cancel my ear canals resonances I get hit by metallic shrillness regardless of the headphone.

What bothered me the most in adorama HE5SE was the way the flimsy plastic cups were singing along, hopefully HE6SE & Sundara don't suffer from the same issue. HE500 & HE4XX sure don't.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #19,338 of 20,386
I don't use my HE-500 as often as I'd like. Mostly because of comfort. After listening for 45 min to an hour, the headband really starts to hurt the top of my head. I already put a knit pad from Amazon on it to help, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Are the Dekoni nugget pads worth the $30 and a good long term solution?

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #19,339 of 20,386
I recently discovered that my trusty HE500 has a scratch across what appears to be the glass surface of the left planar magnetic driver.

I haven't noticed any problems with the sound, but could the scratch be degrading the sound quality?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixlbchzu74l68d9/DSC00353.JPG?dl=0

Has anyone else been unable to upload pictures to head-fi? I keep getting errors.

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #19,340 of 20,386
I recently discovered that my trusty HE500 has a scratch across what appears to be the glass surface of the left planar magnetic driver.

I haven't noticed any problems with the sound, but could the scratch be degrading the sound quality?
That's not a scratch. That looks like a strand of dried adhesive on top of the magnet apparatus. The thin planar diaphragm with the aluminum trace sits below the magnets. If one pokes a hole through the trace, that will result in a dead driver (read: no sound). So be careful and don't use any metal forceps in that area, as the magnet will pull those forceps towards it, which may cause the forceps to go through the hole and the diaphragm. No bueño. If you want to try to remove that adhesive, use something non-magnetic and angle the ear cup so that the loosened adhesive falls to your desk rather than into the diaphragm. Otherwise, it may be best to leave sleeping dogs where they lie.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #19,341 of 20,386
I don't use my HE-500 as often as I'd like. Mostly because of comfort. After listening for 45 min to an hour, the headband really starts to hurt the top of my head. I already put a knit pad from Amazon on it to help, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Here are a few options (ordering from least invasive to most): knit pad (as you yourself are currently using), ZMF pilot or co-pilot pad, Lohb strap, a Sennheiser HD600/HD650 headband pad (probably using an adhesive to affix it to the HE-500 headband), Dekoni nuggets (adhesive fixed to headband), swapping the stock headband with that of the Audeze comfort strap headband (requires you to remove the visible stock screws on the sides of the earcups [easier said than done]), and swapping the headband with the HE-300 comfort strap headband (requires you to remove the stock screws, take out the driver assembly, widen the side holes in the ear cups using a drill).

As for the Dekoni nuggets. I never used or seen them myself. Others have tried it in this thread and they seem to be satisfied. It looks like they come with an adhesive to keep them stuck on the underside of the headband.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #19,342 of 20,386
remove the visible stock screws on the sides of the earcups [easier said than done]
any tip for this please? mine appear to be glued and I can't seem to be able to get the single screw that holds the fork onto the headband to come apart either as I'm keen on using a HE4XX headband that's much comfier, my headband is broken like this and currently holds with zip ties + duct tape: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9496667.jpg

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #19,343 of 20,386
any tip for this please? mine appear to be glued and I can't seem to be able to get the single screw that holds the fork onto the headband to come apart either as I'm keen on using a HE4XX headband that's much comfier, my headband is broken like this and currently holds with zip ties + duct tape: https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9496667.jpg
If Hifiman used something like loctite to keep the screws in place, then an ordinary screwdriver isn't going to be much help other than stripping the screws, which is probably why my track record in loosening those screws has been a mixed bag. Even the old tricks of using rubberbands (to fill any gaps) were to no avail if the screws are glued in there. One person I know had to dismantle the driver from the cup and use a soldering iron on the internal screw mount to presumably loosen up the adhesive to get the screw and the screw mount out. If you go slowly and don't strip the screws, you might get lucky (seen in Step 6 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...400-500-into-the-newstock-he-400i-560.790902/).

If you remove the screws, find their replacement (M2.5) at a local hardware store having a similar length. The replacement screws shouldn't strip as easy as the stock ones (they suck).

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #19,344 of 20,386
Oct 12, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #19,345 of 20,386
Here are a few options (ordering from least invasive to most): knit pad (as you yourself are currently using), ZMF pilot or co-pilot pad, Lohb strap, a Sennheiser HD600/HD650 headband pad (probably using an adhesive to affix it to the HE-500 headband), Dekoni nuggets (adhesive fixed to headband), swapping the stock headband with that of the Audeze comfort strap headband (requires you to remove the visible stock screws on the sides of the earcups [easier said than done]), and swapping the headband with the HE-300 comfort strap headband (requires you to remove the stock screws, take out the driver assembly, widen the side holes in the ear cups using a drill).

As for the Dekoni nuggets. I never used or seen them myself. Others have tried it in this thread and they seem to be satisfied. It looks like they come with an adhesive to keep them stuck on the underside of the headband.

Yeah. I started with the knit pad because it was easiest and cheapest. I don't really want to mess with taking anything apart or drilling holes. The Dekoni nuggets seem good but I don't want to waste $30 if they're not going to last.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #19,346 of 20,386
Yeah. I started with the knit pad because it was easiest and cheapest. I don't really want to mess with taking anything apart or drilling holes. The Dekoni nuggets seem good but I don't want to waste $30 if they're not going to last.
If you can get the big screw that holds the yokes onto the headband to come apart, might wanna roll the latter for a Rockjaw Acero's, I got one here but can't get the screws to come off ><

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #19,347 of 20,386
If you can get the big screw that holds the yokes onto the headband to come apart, might wanna roll the latter for a Rockjaw Acero's, I got one here but can't get the screws to come off ><

Yeah. I don't really want to mess with that.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #19,348 of 20,386
That's not a scratch. That looks like a strand of dried adhesive on top of the magnet apparatus. The thin planar diaphragm with the aluminum trace sits below the magnets. If one pokes a hole through the trace, that will result in a dead driver (read: no sound). So be careful and don't use any metal forceps in that area, as the magnet will pull those forceps towards it, which may cause the forceps to go through the hole and the diaphragm. No bueño. If you want to try to remove that adhesive, use something non-magnetic and angle the ear cup so that the loosened adhesive falls to your desk rather than into the diaphragm. Otherwise, it may be best to leave sleeping dogs where they lie.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I can confirm that it it simply a filament of the same glue-like substance that is applied to the perimeter of the driver.

There is a great expression in French which applies perfectly to this situation: "le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" which roughly translates to "pushing for perfection can often do more harm than good". So I will indeed leave the perfectly behaved dogs sleeping right were they are.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #19,349 of 20,386

This was a $10 mod and it works really well - It's a headband cushion replacement for HD650/HD600 from amazon (non-oem). I just use a strong 3M double sided tape, and it's stayed in place without a problem.

IMO it looks a lot better than the dakoni nugget pads, and it's very comfortable. I can keep them on hours on end without hot spot.

IMG_1666.jpg

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #19,350 of 20,386
This was a $10 mod and it works really well - It's a headband cushion replacement for HD650/HD600 from amazon (non-oem). I just use a strong 3M double sided tape, and it's stayed in place without a problem.

IMO it looks a lot better than the dakoni nugget pads, and it's very comfortable. I can keep them on hours on end without hot spot.

IMG_1666.jpg

Interesting. I might look into that then. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back