HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 24, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #19,306 of 20,386
Sorry, guys. I have a degree in one of the sciences. Cables DO matter but it's all about electrical resistance and good electrical contact. Higher frequencies are transmitted near the outer surface of a conductor. That's why not so good conductors are often plated with better conductors. It's cheaper but the effect is the same as making the hole wire of a better conductor. Silver is only marginally better conductor than copper but it oxidizes less. I would choose silver over copper anyway.

There are two other factors besides resistance that need to be considered.

But I have found that HFM stock cables (HE-500, HEX v2, and HE6se) all suck, and standard aftermarket (and probably standard DIY cables) mascerate them - 2 of 3 cases tested AB. Be still I know you won't rock your beliefs on my word.

I spent the years from 1995-2017 not being interested/caring in differences between cables (although earlier I had experienced a few cases of AB tested differences).

But a bigger issue with headphones is source impedance and load impedance. In practice that means an OTL amp should be running HD-600's, Beyers, etc. And low impedance planars under 60 ohms or so, should be run by SS and a handful of hybrid amps with low source impedance. Cables used in a mismatch situation are not likely to sound good.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #19,307 of 20,386
anyone's got any clue how to unscrew the big screw that holds the forks onto the headband please?

I'm keen on swapping the forks onto a new headband and it does unscrew but never comes apart :xf_eek:

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #19,308 of 20,386
anyone's got any clue how to unscrew the big screw that holds the forks onto the headband please?

I'm keen on swapping the forks onto a new headband and it does unscrew but never comes apart :xf_eek:

Use a pair of pliers with a slight anti slip pattern on the inside facing parts of the plier arms. Too strong a pattern may "strip" or "mangle" the thread on the screw, so I usually use a piece of cotton fabric (doubled over if its very sheer) to cut down visible damage to the screw. Most HFM's also have a little rubber grommet between can and screw, don't lose it, and put back when re-installing.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #19,309 of 20,386
Picked a pair of these up to try alongside my DT1990s and Elegias. I was looking to try a planar but was hoping for something that would maintain that same sense of tonal balance with a smoother, but still 'present', sound... these things deliver. Super smooth and even, pushing towards neutral to my ear, but still maintaining plenty of life and dynamics. The extra air and soundstage vs those two headphones, especially on the vertical plane, is readily apparent as well even though neither of them are soundstage slouches. No mods either, all stock, so mods still to play with as well if I get the itch.

I'm about a decade late to this party but a good headphone is a good headphone, and to my ears this is undoubtedly a good one.

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #19,310 of 20,386
Picked a pair of these up to try alongside my DT1990s and Elegias. I was looking to try a planar but was hoping for something that would maintain that same sense of tonal balance with a smoother, but still 'present', sound... these things deliver. Super smooth and even, pushing towards neutral to my ear, but still maintaining plenty of life and dynamics. The extra air and soundstage vs those two headphones, especially on the vertical plane, is readily apparent as well even though neither of them are soundstage slouches. No mods either, all stock, so mods still to play with as well if I get the itch.

I'm about a decade late to this party but a good headphone is a good headphone, and to my ears this is undoubtedly a good one.

It's never too late! They're absolute gems and really stood the test of time.

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #19,311 of 20,386
It's never too late! They're absolute gems and really stood the test of time.

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to having new toy syndrome and have no doubt that I'll soon find some compromises in this headphone, but like many on this site I've been into audio for a long time and have a pretty good idea of what to listen for. The DT 1990s have the energy and punch of a concert, the Elegias sound like I'm listening to a top-tier reproduction of a recording, and the HE-500s give a true-to-life 3-dimensional feeling to the music. Nothing jumps out unnecessarily, plenty of detail and dynamics to be enjoyed but nothing forced in my face, and a sense of space and scale to the music that I really haven't owned before. It's an even-handed presentation that still maintains the treble presence and immediacy that I love and have personally found lacking in commonly-touted headphones like the Sennheiser HD6X0 line.

These first hours listening have been simply enjoyable with a signal chain of LG V30 (Quad DAC) pushing Spotify HQ through the balanced output of my THX 789. Jimmy Buffet's front porch musings about the virtues of margaritas, Marilyn Manson's assertion that it's really the drugs who like him, Kanye locking down some love, and the Squirrel Nut Zippers warning about tomorrow's consequences (Hell) all just sound like I'm there in the middle of it. Take it or leave it - here it is.

Anyway, there are already dang near 1300 pages of similar comments. I'm posting to share my experience but especially to encourage other listeners shopping for a similar sound to put or keep these on their list. The $400 or so price range is a competitive bracket and these really are a great value for that money.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #19,312 of 20,386
Is Ananda an actual upgrade over HE500? I was told that it's so much better than 2.5mm HE560.

Use a pair of pliers with a slight anti slip pattern on the inside facing parts of the plier arms. Too strong a pattern may "strip" or "mangle" the thread on the screw, so I usually use a piece of cotton fabric (doubled over if its very sheer) to cut down visible damage to the screw. Most HFM's also have a little rubber grommet between can and screw, don't lose it, and put back when re-installing.
OK thanks but won't budge, anyway I'll try that on a replacement headband and if that's doable I will dremelize out the cups from my HE500 et voilà ))

Apparently my HE500 has had its two screws holding each cup onto the fork glued/soldered like https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...e-in-listening.551345/page-1157#post-12277238 and on one side both screws are stripped to death like https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8303598.jpg :xf_eek:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #19,313 of 20,386
Is Ananda an actual upgrade over HE500? I was told that it's so much better than 2.5mm HE560.

OK thanks but won't budge, anyway I'll try that on a replacement headband and if that's doable I will dremelize out the cups from my HE500 et voilà ))

Apparently my HE500 has had its two screws holding each cup onto the fork glued/soldered like https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...e-in-listening.551345/page-1157#post-12277238 and on one side both screws are stripped to death like https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8303598.jpg :xf_eek:

HE-500 and Ananda both better than the 560 IMO. But the 560 isn't awful, it's better than any 400* version.

500 has two screws on each side, if stripped - you can use larger screws (be careful of stripping or double threading. You can also put in a wooden peg or toothpicks then try the screws. Gluing I would not advise.

Ananda and 500 much different. Ananda: clear, bright, tall soundstage with fairly tight sides, Good bass but it lacks impact and bloom. Doesn't need much power. 500: much better bass tone, can get a little slow if the amp isn't 2 wpc or more. Soundstage shorter, much wider, much more realistic. Sounds much more like a pair of $2k speakers than almost any other can. Mid forward a bit, almost magic mids. Senn HD-600 on OTL amp and Focal Clears are probably only cans under $1k that can actually match the 500's. Lose the stock cables, get new pads - Dan Clark Ether Angled. Once you settle in try rear screens off, and look into the fuzzor mod.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #19,315 of 20,386

IMO, no, the HE500 is a superior headphone. If you already own an HE500 just get a more powerful amp. If your about to buy and you care about warranty, weight and an easy to drive headphone get the Ananda.

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #19,316 of 20,386
Alright fair enough, thank you.....so HE6 properly amped makes HE500 sound like ibuds or? :D

I'll soon have a LittleLabs Monotor on the way, this should do nicely as it's OPA1622 based and this nitty gritty can output 145mA. But then again HE500 already sounds amazing off my Soekris dac1101 built-in full discrete headamp :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #19,317 of 20,386
Min power for HE 500: 2 wpc; bliss: 8 wpc --- Magnius, Lyr 3 good choices
Min power for HE 6::::: 6 wpc; bliss: 18 wpc -- Need a Rag type hammer for these.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #19,318 of 20,386
Min power for HE 500: 2 wpc; bliss: 8 wpc --- Magnius, Lyr 3 good choices
Min power for HE 6::::: 6 wpc; bliss: 18 wpc -- Need a Rag type hammer for these.

I use a gsx mk2 preamp going into wa5 for my he-6 (8W + preamp gain 21x ~6w max) gonna try first watt j2 (25wpc) soon, they really need a ton of power

been wanting to try he-500 again too, its not as resolving but with the pleather pads, its simply the most magical headphone for EDM and vocals, not super accurate due to its smoothness in the treble, but soo soo satisfying

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #19,319 of 20,386
Hmm, Zeos let it slip (unintentionally or not) of a new collab between Hifiman and Drop, the HE-5XX. Interesting...

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #19,320 of 20,386
Hmm, Zeos let it slip (unintentionally or not) of a new collab between Hifiman and Drop, the HE-5XX. Interesting...
I have my sword and shield ready to defend Hifmans honor if they make this sound 80% as good as the original. Legitimately been saying that hifiman should do this for like 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back