HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 20, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #18,826 of 20,386
So, I got to hear bagwell's modded HE500, and I got to say it's an improvement. I generally wanted more damped, and less warmer HE500, and his mod achieves this. The bass does sound tighter as I found the bass a bit on the softer side stock. There's definitely more clarity to the sound, and it sounds well worth modding.

It's so interesting how Hifimans can be improved by modding or swapping pads. It's like he put a good driver there, but he didn't tinker enough to get maximum sound out of the headphones.

Now, we need somebody to provide us with step by step process of modding the LFF way, particularly the HE6 into code6

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #18,827 of 20,386
So, I got to hear bagwell's modded HE500, and I got to say it's an improvement. I generally wanted more damped, and less warmer HE500, and his mod achieves this. The bass does sound tighter as I found the bass a bit on the softer side stock. There's definitely more clarity to the sound, and it sounds well worth modding.

It's so interesting how Hifimans can be improved by modding or swapping pads. It's like he put a good driver there, but he didn't tinker enough to get maximum sound out of the headphones.

Now, we need somebody to provide us with step by step process of modding the LFF way, particularly the HE6 into code6

Thanks. To me the best thing is taming the treble and mid reflections to allow more subtle details to emerge, and yes the bass is tighter. And yes not only are the HE-5, HE-6, HE-500, HE-400 enclosures no friend to the drivers, but the Edition X V2 may be more fiendish, in the shortest position they are still .7" short of getting the right amount of treble to my ear, and an average head might be 1.2" or more from the right place. Marketing over technical correctness....

I hear that LFF customers are very loyal and have kept the secrets very close. Without those particular changes, I think the the fuzzor, and pads, etc. were probably pretty advanced, but then they were thrown into the background by the CodeSex.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #18,828 of 20,386
Thanks. To me the best thing is taming the treble and mid reflections to allow more subtle details to emerge, and yes the bass is tighter. And yes not only are the HE-5, HE-6, HE-500, HE-400 enclosures no friend to the drivers, but the Edition X V2 may be more fiendish, in the shortest position they are still .7" short of getting the right amount of treble to my ear, and an average head might be 1.2" or more from the right place. Marketing over technical correctness....

I hear that LFF customers are very loyal and have kept the secrets very close. Without those particular changes, I think the the fuzzor, and pads, etc. were probably pretty advanced, but then they were thrown into the background by the CodeSex.
Yes, it does sound like it's resulted in details to emerge more. I guess the warmth (from stock) was result of mid reflections? Definitely sound clearer, and I guess opening up the original grill contributes with more airyness to the sound.

What's different about the imaging on these Hifimans are the sounding seeming to be 3 dimensional, like there is body presence in both axis directions (I think this is result of how the sound decays in the space). Different from the images being flattened out in the edge of the sound space. Spacially, the sound seems present closer to reality.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #18,829 of 20,386
Yes, it does sound like it's resulted in details to emerge more. I guess the warmth (from stock) was result of mid reflections? Definitely sound clearer, and I guess opening up the original grill contributes with more airyness to the sound.

What's different about the imaging on these Hifimans are the sounding seeming to be 3 dimensional, like there is body presence in both axis directions (I think this is result of how the sound decays in the space). Different from the images being flattened out in the edge of the sound space. Spacially, the sound seems present closer to reality.

Yes, HFM's have that spatial quality that many don't - screaming headphones in the 2nd case, and at least pointing towards speakers if not actually having the qualities needed to actually make it there in the former case.. As great as the Stax of 20-25 years ago were they still sounded like headphones with crazy definition. The HE-500 is the first can I heard with that spatial quality - and this way they have of having assertive bass, mids, and highs and still having good integration between them.

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #18,830 of 20,386
I've got a pair of these on the way, I'm pretty excited. I have a friend that owns these, and years ago I had the chance to sit down with them for a couple hours and really get to know them. I remember just being blown away by them, so it's going to be interesting to see if they still hold up.

It's a shame I can't find any 4.4mm balanced cables for these. I'd be curious to see how my PHA-2A does with them. I think the single-ended output is going to struggle with them, given that it puts out 1/3 the power of the balanced.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #18,831 of 20,386
These are an absolute delight! Every bit as good as I remember. More in-depth impressions later, but for now I'll just say these are basically what I was expecting the LCD-2C to be!

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #18,833 of 20,386
The HE-500 is so darn good... they sound like a great pair of speakers to me.

I would probably agree with that if I heard a speaker higher end than what I have (Klipsch RP-160M). These sound waaay better than the Klipsch.

I've realized what it is about these that makes me love them so much: the treble is perfect. Like, absolutely perfect. It gives music a live sound that none of my other headphones can beat. Under very specific situations my Z1Rs can match them, but in terms of consistency, the HE-500 is king there.

These also have the best bass I've heard in an open headphone. It's maybe not to the level of closed headphones like my Z1Rs or DT1770s, but man, it's not far behind either.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #18,834 of 20,386
I would probably agree with that if I heard a speaker higher end than what I have (Klipsch RP-160M). These sound waaay better than the Klipsch.

I've realized what it is about these that makes me love them so much: the treble is perfect. Like, absolutely perfect. It gives music a live sound that none of my other headphones can beat. Under very specific situations my Z1Rs can match them, but in terms of consistency, the HE-500 is king there.

These also have the best bass I've heard in an open headphone. It's maybe not to the level of closed headphones like my Z1Rs or DT1770s, but man, it's not far behind either.

With you on everything. The HE-500 is just dialed in perfect. The treble is wonderful, mids rich and beautiful, bass is articulate, tight and impactful. Whatever you look for, the HE-500 has it and is versatile across genres. You get great dynamics, excellent resolution, nice soundstage and sharp imaging. They do it all. I've been disappointed many times trying the newest supposed "greatest" release only to come running back to the trusty HE-500. They truly hold their own with authority, years after release and continue to do so.

When it's done right, it's done right.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #18,835 of 20,386
Anyone using a balance cable with their HE-500's? If is so are you sticking with silver, like the stock cable, or did you move to a copper cable. Thanks in advance!

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #18,836 of 20,386
Anyone using a balance cable with their HE-500's? If is so are you sticking with silver, like the stock cable, or did you move to a copper cable. Thanks in advance!

Using Black Dragon v1 copper. Unless you have a real love of too much treble or sloggy amp lacking highs I would not go with silver on these.

I love mine, but can't agree the treble is perfect. The cymbal decay is way too long - meaning they ring. One way to cut that back is getting rid of the stock back covers AND doing the fuzzor mod.

Bass is nice, but there is a bit of thickness. Can cut that down with dynamat. Having a strongly damped SS amp also cuts the thickness.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #18,837 of 20,386
Using Black Dragon v1 copper. Unless you have a real love of too much treble or sloggy amp lacking highs I would not go with silver on these.

I love mine, but can't agree the treble is perfect. The cymbal decay is way too long - meaning they ring. One way to cut that back is getting rid of the stock back covers AND doing the fuzzor mod.

Bass is nice, but there is a bit of thickness. Can cut that down with dynamat. Having a strongly damped SS amp also cuts the thickness.
Thanks, I was thinking a good copper cable would be the way to go.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #18,838 of 20,386

I actually find cymbals to be great on the HE-500. They are part of what I really like about them and what separates them from my other headphones.

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #18,839 of 20,386
I actually find cymbals to be great on the HE-500. They are part of what I really like about them and what separates them from my other headphones.

It's very seductive, even enjoyable - but, it's not correct.

I think the Walsh F speaker being run by a super modified Dyna Pas 3X and Ampzilla is the only other set-up I ever heard that had a similar elongated swoosh on the cymbal. That was 1978. I've owned, sold, and heard many dozens of loudspeakers and cans since then, but none did that - although some other HFM's are in the ballpark. The Walsh F had an excessive amount of ringing in the mids and treble BTW.

May 1, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #18,840 of 20,386
Woven mesh grills are the best way to cut down treble reflections and keep an actual protective layer on the back.
The weave means there is no flat surface, so all the waves break up nicely, and you get just about the same open sound as if it wasn't there at all.

I really have no idea why nobody else is using them.
They also look great.

_DSC6221.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back