HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 28, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #18,646 of 20,386
Good post, any further observations? Thanks

Sure, why not.. I'm still thinking these are one of the most neutral hp's around (haven't tried +1000 models much (HD600, HD800 & LCD-2.1 are in possession, though)). I'm hearing some extra energy in the 3-5k region with the HM5 sheepskin pads - lips smacking and vocal presence & all that overall, lots of presence. Bass is very clearly tighter than my LCD-2.1, but lacks the oomph, animal growl and reach. Treble is much more even. Now I hear some highs peaks in these LCD's. Cymbals sound just great with these.

HE-500 is way more in-yer-face, LCD-2 is one smooth and easy listen. But, those highs are smoother on the Hifiman for sure. And the bass is tighter. Then there's the weight of that Audeze bass... It's just lovely.

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #18,647 of 20,386
Sure, why not.. I'm still thinking these are one of the most neutral hp's around (haven't tried +1000 models much (HD600, HD800 & LCD-2.1 are in possession, though)). I'm hearing some extra energy in the 3-5k region with the HM5 sheepskin pads - lips smacking and vocal presence & all that overall, lots of presence. Bass is very clearly tighter than my LCD-2.1, but lacks the oomph, animal growl and reach. Treble is much more even. Now I hear some highs peaks in these LCD's. Cymbals sound just great with these.

HE-500 is way more in-yer-face, LCD-2 is one smooth and easy listen. But, those highs are smoother on the Hifiman for sure. And the bass is tighter. Then there's the weight of that Audeze bass... It's just lovely.

Sounds like you are enjoying your cans - what's better than that? Thanks

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #18,650 of 20,386
HD800 sound synthetic to me, i love the soundstage but that is not a real sound, HE500 is far more realistic and organic sounding to me, just my 2 cent because i don't have more right now

Agreed. To me the HD800 is drier and the HE-500 is more natural and moist. I love them both and use the HD800 almost exclusively for classical due to the large and airy sound stage.

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #18,651 of 20,386
IMG_20180928_205049890.jpg

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #18,652 of 20,386
Agreed. To me the HD800 is drier and the HE-500 is more natural and moist. I love them both and use the HD800 almost exclusively for classical due to the large and airy sound stage.
Why you need large sound stage and airiness for classical orchestral music?
Simply high fidelity is not enough for you?

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #18,653 of 20,386
Why you need large sound stage and airiness for classical orchestral music?
Simply high fidelity is not enough for you?
I maybe able to answer this as I've been noticing stuff regarding this lately with the Sennheiser headphones (particularly the HD58X).

Majority of the classical stuff I've enjoyed with my HD58X (which is airy as well) is particularly with string instruments. The way this headphone defines the string vibration is a bit holographic due to the headphone being a bit airy. By airy I mean there are black backgrounds around the sounds. Also, there is that attack and decay effect, like an ambient feel of the sound starting and then fades away in the darkness. This is the kind of response makes a headphone good for classical.

You know, that clean violin string sliding sound in the open space? Or the pluck of the bass string, and the thick vibrations resonating? Or the warm, but defined cello strings rubbing sounds. Sennheiser dynamics do really well in that department. It's about how these sounds pop out in a realistic manner.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #18,654 of 20,386
For me, the trouble of the phone for classical orchestral music is always the resolving ability of outburst sound of all instruments in their highest power.
For example, Mahler's symphony of thousand has more than 1000 musical source including human voices requires real resolving power.
Most phone is not inadequate but some of my phones has some degrees of that resolving power.
Fast decay/fastness/resolution are good here for those requirements where he-500 is good for each category.
My criteria for classical music have not been wavering from those facts, so that my collection are ended up with Nighthawk, th-900, Fidelio X2, and He-500 which was sold due to the weight.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #18,655 of 20,386
For me, the trouble of the phone for classical orchestral music is always the resolving ability of outburst sound of all instruments in their highest power.
For example, Mahler's symphony of thousand has more than 1000 musical source including human voices requires real resolving power.
Most phone is not inadequate but some of my phones has some degrees of that resolving power.
Fast decay/fastness/resolution are good here for those requirements where he-500 is good for each category.
My criteria for classical music have not been wavering from those facts, so that my collection are ended up with Nighthawk, th-900, Fidelio X2, and He-500 which was sold due to the weight.
I think you are referring to coherency in the chaos, or where many things are going on. If the drivers are very quick, there will be better definition among-st the mix of many sounds. It's particularly useful for heavy rock with a lot of clutter.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #18,658 of 20,386
@bagwell359 Is Ether C pads easy to out on? What about the plastic attachment to put it on the HE500? How do you get the Ether C pads on the HE500?

Are Ether, Ether C, Ether C Flow pads all the same?

I learned about them from a @cskippy post. "Mr Headphones Ether C" is what he called them. On the site they sell "Ether Flow Angled" which is what mine look like (and same cost) - but no "Ether C". Also "Alpha Pads" which look a lot fatter and are cheaper. Don't have my sales slip so I can't be 1000% sure. There is a pic at post #18657 that says "Ether C Angled". They look like the "Ether C Flow" on the MrSpeaker site.

Not hard to get on - BTW.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #18,659 of 20,386
Sep 29, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #18,660 of 20,386
For $15, why not. Will be ordering the Velpad from Amazon. Looks more comfortable than the stock Velour (which is quite bad for comfort).

Looking at the response, this maybe what I'm looking for. I thought the mids response was a bit uneven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back