HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #18,661 of 20,386
Amazon Prime FTW! Think uber HD650 with better bass and treble but similar pure natural midrange. Sound stage is also way better than HD650.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #18,662 of 20,386
@bagwell359 is correct. MrSpeakers used to call them Ether C pads before the Flow upgrade. Now they are called ETHER Flow pads:
https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/ear-pads/ether-c-angled-ear-pads.html

My current favorite config for HE-500 is the Velpad from Hifiman and no grills:
https://www.amazon.com/VelPad-HIFIM...&qid=1538252978&sr=8-13&keywords=hifiman+pads
9938789_l.png

Do they mount the same way as the stock velour pads and can you briefly describe how different they sound?

Edit: Also, are they similar in terms of firmness and stiffness but just angled or are they softer than stock?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #18,663 of 20,386
Compared to the stock pads, comfort is the first thing you'll notice. They aren't stiff and the ear opening is a touch bigger, they share the same shape as the Focus pads. The material can still be itchy but seems to breathe decently.

The overall sound change is subtle as there are just small changes throughout the frequency response but they add up to make a pretty significant change to my ears. The stock pads gave excellent bass, slightly bloated, an ethereal midrange and a present treble that was sometimes harsh or splashy. The Velpads absorb a lot of the reflections since they use a non reflective fabric and a lower density foam. The sound is more pure, direct and real. I think the closest headphone that has a similar tone or timbre is the HD650 but these have better extension at both ends and are much more open.

HE-500 stock pads Red, Velpad Green:
9938790_l.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #18,664 of 20,386
Compared to the stock pads, comfort is the first thing you'll notice. They aren't stiff and the ear opening is a touch bigger, they share the same shape as the Focus pads. The material can still be itchy but seems to breathe decently.

The overall sound change is subtle as there are just small changes throughout the frequency response but they add up to make a pretty significant change to my ears. The stock pads gave excellent bass, slightly bloated, an ethereal midrange and a present treble that was sometimes harsh or splashy. The Velpads absorb a lot of the reflections since they use a non reflective fabric and a lower density foam. The sound is more pure, direct and real. I think the closest headphone that has a similar tone or timbre is the HD50 but these have better extension at both ends and are much more open.

HE-500 stock pads Red, Velpad Green:
9938790_l.png

Thank you for the speedy and detailed response, really appreciate it! Ordered

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #18,665 of 20,386
Make sure you try them with the grills off, the grills create some backwave reflections and can push vocals away but also create some harshness in the treble.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #18,666 of 20,386
Make sure you try them with the grills off, the grills create some backwave reflections and can push vocals away but also create some harshness in the treble.

Yup, removed the grills a few years ago, it definitely increased clarity.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #18,668 of 20,386
Unless you have a ton of dust or cat/dog hair flying around I don't see a normal situation where a "naked" driver would be an issue. No curious fingers or thin sharp objects go near my HE-500.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #18,671 of 20,386
@bagwell359 is correct. MrSpeakers used to call them Ether C pads before the Flow upgrade. Now they are called ETHER Flow pads:
https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/ear-pads/ether-c-angled-ear-pads.html

My current favorite config for HE-500 is the Velpad from Hifiman and no grills:
https://www.amazon.com/VelPad-HIFIM...&qid=1538252978&sr=8-13&keywords=hifiman+pads

Are the Ether C's different from the Ether Flows? Because the response curve shown in post #14440 and probably #18418 seem much flatter than the one here. [oops nevermind the old curves were from the SE-6]

Does the no grill advice also hold for the Ethers? I really didn't like them grills off on the 400i/4XX - backstage details and lower woods seemed to lose a lot of body (try finger snaps on "Grandma's Hands" by James Taylor - Chesky). On the 500 removing the screens doesn't seem as stark a loss. Have you played with different grills also? I'd like to try a magnetic material in the "window shade" mode with felt damping the undersides of the shades.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #18,672 of 20,386
20180927_091839.jpg

Just bought the HE-500 Demo this week from AudioShop in Montreal, Quebec. He sent me a photograph after I asked him what shape they were and they look brand new. The salesman told me they were hardly ever listened to because most of their clientele is made up of young guys who are into portable audio. Most of his clients look for cheaper and appropriate headphones for outdoor/ travel listening. I got them for $580 US (converted Canadian dollar value) + taxes :rage: (emoji is for the taxes 15% ! ).

They were shipped on Friday so I should have them by Wednesday. I've been reading and watching video reviews about different headphones during the past month or so and I finally chose the HE-500. Looking forward to hearing them.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #18,673 of 20,386

Just bought the HE-500 Demo this week from AudioShop in Montreal, Quebec. He sent me a photograph after I asked him what shape they were and they look brand new. The salesman told me they were hardly ever listened to because most of their clientele is made up of young guys who are into portable audio. Most of his clients look for cheaper and appropriate headphones for outdoor/ travel listening. I got them for $580 US (converted Canadian dollar value) + taxes :rage:.

They were shipped on Friday so I should have them by Wednesday. I've been reading and watching video reviews about different headphones during the past month or so and I finally chose the HE-500. Looking forward to hearing them.
Don’t sweat the price. These are still some of the most musical and well balanced headphones out there. Consider yourself one of the lucky owners who own a pair. Welcome to the club my friend.

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #18,674 of 20,386

Just bought the HE-500 Demo this week from AudioShop in Montreal, Quebec. He sent me a photograph after I asked him what shape they were and they look brand new. The salesman told me they were hardly ever listened to because most of their clientele is made up of young guys who are into portable audio. Most of his clients look for cheaper and appropriate headphones for outdoor/ travel listening. I got them for $580 US (converted Canadian dollar value) + taxes :rage:.

6a4c0669d2ff5e7f609475715fc54c30.jpg

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #18,675 of 20,386
Don’t sweat the price. These are still some of the most musical and well balanced headphones out there. Consider yourself one of the lucky owners who own a pair. Welcome to the club my friend.

Hey Slim1970, thanks for the welcome. I'm not sweating the price; it's the taxes which is a killer here in Canada & the province I live in. 15% ! That's what the emoji was for.

You're absolutely right, I do consider myself quite lucky to have found this headphone which is practically new and also considering the fact that they are discontinued.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back