HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #18,016 of 20,386

Yea, I plan to purchase a good desktop amp sometime soon when my funds allow it. I honestly haven't really looked into it too much yet, but my next goal will be to figure out how much I am willing to spend on one and what to buy on that budget. I am thinking $200 or less to be honest haha.

Yea, I definitely won't be buying a new pair anytime soon haha. I am just too happy with this set as it is. 
beyersmile.png

At the sub $200 mark, you may want to look into the Vali 2.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #18,017 of 20,386
  At the sub $200 mark, you may want to look into the Vali 2.

Yea, I have heard a lot of good things about the Schiit brand. Out of curiosity, do you think it would better to spend a little more and go for either the Asgard 2 or the Valhalla 2? I am a dollar per value kind of buyer, and was just curious. Thank you for your input by the way!Asgard 2Asgard 2

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #18,018 of 20,386

Yea, I have heard a lot of good things about the Schiit brand. Out of curiosity, do you think it would better to spend a little more and go for either the Asgard 2 or the Valhalla 2? I am a dollar per value kind of buyer, and was just curious. Thank you for your input by the way!Asgard 2Asgard 2

Valhalla 2, no.  It doesn't handle planars as well as other options.  The Asgard 2 would be fine.  I tend to prefer tubes, because you can tube roll and fine tune the sound a little.  That's personal preference, though.

The 500s were a little fatiguing out of the Asgard 1, but I believe the 2 is a warmer amp so it may not be an issue anymore.

Also keep in mind that you'll want to add a DAC at some point in the future.  The Modi 2 MB/Vali 2 combo is good enough to be endgame for most.  

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #18,020 of 20,386
Yea, I plan to purchase a good desktop amp sometime soon when my funds allow it. I honestly haven't really looked into it too much yet, but my next goal will be to figure out how much I am willing to spend on one and what to buy on that budget. I am thinking $200 or less to be honest haha.

Yea, I definitely won't be buying a new pair anytime soon haha. I am just too happy with this set as it is. :beyersmile:

Check out the Elemental Watson for the HE-500, it's a tube hybrid design with 2w power at 30ohms, works really well with the HE-500

http://www.head-fi.org/t/823002/elemental-watson-class-a-valve-mosfet-hybrid-headphone-amplifier-review-added#post_13060678

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #18,021 of 20,386
Check out the Elemental Watson for the HE-500, it's a tube hybrid design with 2w power at 30ohms, works really well with the HE-500

http://www.head-fi.org/t/823002/elemental-watson-class-a-valve-mosfet-hybrid-headphone-amplifier-review-added#post_13060678

This is an interesting design, I like it! Man, jumping into high end audio is pretty overwhelming, so many choices. This can be a gift and a curse at the same time haha. In terms of DAC, I will probably stick to the Modi 2 MB because of the price point. I am really considering this Elemental Watson though for my amp. Have you compared it to any other sub $200 amp like the Vali 2? And any recommended tubes?

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #18,022 of 20,386

This is an interesting design, I like it! Man, jumping into high end audio is pretty overwhelming, so many choices. This can be a gift and a curse at the same time haha. In terms of DAC, I will probably stick to the Modi 2 MB because of the price point. I am really considering this Elemental Watson though for my amp. Have you compared it to any other sub $200 amp like the Vali 2? And any recommended tubes?

I have not changed the tubes, but my Mullards should be here soon. To be honest, the stock ones are very good. It is better than the cheaper Bravo Audio Ocean amp, not tried against the Vali 2 though. Vs solid state, this is smoother which works wonders with the HE-500, it compliments the sound, they retain the clarity and speed that makes the HE-500 so good, and gives them the full sound they have when properly powered.

DAC wise, JDS Labs have just released the OL-DAC, I was part of the Beta testing group, and I ended up buying it. It just works, plug and play, and sounds excellent. A very simple yet fantastic DAC.

I have been using the OL-DAC to the Watson to the HE-500 and it is probably the best sub $1000 setup.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #18,024 of 20,386
I use a Garage1217 Polaris for the HE-500 and I'm satisfied with that.

It was a jump up from an original Schiit Magni.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #18,025 of 20,386
  So the I recently got my hands on a pair of HE-500s, and this set is my first step into high end audio equipment. I have them paired with a FiiO E12, and so far, I am really enjoying this sound signature! From what I can hear, it's an overall very balanced set. The sound has an open, airiness sound, and the soundstage is pretty wide if you ask me. Bass response is controlled, and definitely present when called for. Mids are forward, and highs roll off just slightly, which really favors my ears (I guess my ears are sensitive, higher frequencies sometime sound shrill to my ears). I don't know that I will really need to upgrade from these! I say that now..This could be the downfall for me....

Your assessment of your HE500 is bang on to how I would describe them.  Enjoy them.

If you ever get an opportunity to audition them with a good quality desk top amplifier or integrated amp I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise.  I have the FiiO E12a and while it does a respectable job of driving the HE500's a higher quality amp will take them to another level.  Sorry for potentially injuring your wallet.

The E12a has less power than the E12. The E12 might have enough to just get by for many people. One clean Watt is enough to get very loud on the HE500's, a great set of cans.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #18,026 of 20,386

So one more question. Would you know a good place to purchase one of these in the US? Maybe bkkaudio?

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #18,027 of 20,386
So one more question. Would you know a good place to purchase one of these in the US? Maybe bkkaudio?

I got mine from Jaben, http://www.jaben.com/ 

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #18,029 of 20,386

Ah okay. Did you buy it from their AU website? I couldn't find it on any of their other sites, and I don't really see where they specifically sell to the states. I am sorry to bother you haha, I am just curious about this amp.

I just got in touch on facebook, but you should be able to get it through any of their stores if you just email them and ask they should be able to help.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #18,030 of 20,386
Anyone here ever have to clean the inter-connects for HE-500?

Ive began noticing slightly higher volume in the right vs. left,took off the cables and noticed some oxidation...

Deoxit?

If so how did you do it that it didnt damage/bend the little pin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back