HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #18,001 of 20,386
I have the thx00, is the teak better?

IMO, the Teak is better. I believe you can just buy the cups, if you prefer to just change them on your TH-X00.

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #18,007 of 20,386
I did have the listen to the HE-6 driven by a First Watt F1. It did sound nice, but the effort involved to get there seems not worth it. I would happily take my 500 and cheap A-100 amp over the other setup. Again, my opinion.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #18,008 of 20,386

IMO the HE-500 gets you the HE-6 sound for a lot less money.

A properly driven 6 is on another level then the 500. The 500 is fantastic, but it is not the 6.

Definitely agree with this. However a big drawback is the HE-6 really needs it's own dedicated amplifier. This makes it a lot different than other headphones where you can get a good amp and just swap headphones with that amp. 

If you don't want to do that, I think the HE-500s are a terrific headphone. I still prefer them to the HE560, and I think they have a fairly similar sound signature to my HE-6.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #18,009 of 20,386
A properly driven 6 is on another level then the 500. The 500 is fantastic, but it is not the 6.

The HE500 actually have a pretty special scalability to them too, particularly with the Wells Audio amplifiers. It's a little different though, as the HE500 has an inherently slower pace and lushness to it. That and, no matter how well amplified, the HE500 can't quite duplicate the tactile microdynamic punch that makes the HE-6 so special. That visceral texture is like a drug you just can't get enough of.

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #18,010 of 20,386
The HE500 actually have a pretty special scalability to them too, particularly with the Wells Audio amplifiers. It's a little different though, as the HE500 has an inherently slower pace and lushness to it. That and, no matter how well amplified, the HE500 can't quite duplicate the tactile microdynamic punch that makes the HE-6 so special. That visceral texture is like a drug you just can't get enough of.

I'm not knocking the 500, I've owned them for 6 years, love their smoothness and grace.

That being said, they are not the 6.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #18,011 of 20,386
I'm not knocking the 500, I've owned them for 6 years, love their smoothness and grace.

That being said, they are not the 6.

Oh, I know you're not. And I totally agree.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #18,012 of 20,386
So the I recently got my hands on a pair of HE-500s, and this set is my first step into high end audio equipment. I have them paired with a FiiO E12, and so far, I am really enjoying this sound signature! From what I can hear, it's an overall very balanced set. The sound has an open, airiness sound, and the soundstage is pretty wide if you ask me. Bass response is controlled, and definitely present when called for. Mids are forward, and highs roll off just slightly, which really favors my ears (I guess my ears are sensitive, higher frequencies sometime sound shrill to my ears). I don't know that I will really need to upgrade from these! I say that now..This could be the downfall for me....

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #18,013 of 20,386
  So the I recently got my hands on a pair of HE-500s, and this set is my first step into high end audio equipment. I have them paired with a FiiO E12, and so far, I am really enjoying this sound signature! From what I can hear, it's an overall very balanced set. The sound has an open, airiness sound, and the soundstage is pretty wide if you ask me. Bass response is controlled, and definitely present when called for. Mids are forward, and highs roll off just slightly, which really favors my ears (I guess my ears are sensitive, higher frequencies sometime sound shrill to my ears). I don't know that I will really need to upgrade from these! I say that now..This could be the downfall for me....

Your assessment of your HE500 is bang on to how I would describe them.  Enjoy them.

If you ever get an opportunity to audition them with a good quality desk top amplifier or integrated amp I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise.  I have the FiiO E12a and while it does a respectable job of driving the HE500's a higher quality amp will take them to another level.  Sorry for potentially injuring your wallet.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #18,014 of 20,386
  Your assessment of your HE500 is bang on to how I would describe them.  Enjoy them.

If you ever get an opportunity to audition them with a good quality desk top amplifier or integrated amp I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise.  I have the FiiO E12a and while it does a respectable job of driving the HE500's a higher quality amp will take them to another level.  Sorry for potentially injuring your wallet.

Yes.  Don't waste time with headphone upgrades at this point unless the sound signature doesn't match your preferences or you're willing to spend $1000+ on a new set.

At this point, it's all about finding good synergy with the proper dac/amp.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #18,015 of 20,386

Yea, I plan to purchase a good desktop amp sometime soon when my funds allow it. I honestly haven't really looked into it too much yet, but my next goal will be to figure out how much I am willing to spend on one and what to buy on that budget. I am thinking $200 or less to be honest haha.

Yes.  Don't waste time with headphone upgrades at this point unless the sound signature doesn't match your preferences or you're willing to spend $1000+ on a new set.

At this point, it's all about finding good synergy with the proper dac/amp.

Yea, I definitely won't be buying a new pair anytime soon haha. I am just too happy with this set as it is. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back