HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #17,941 of 20,386
I just joined the club, lusted after the HE-6 since I first heard it about 3 years ago, but they don't come up for sale often and still cost a lot, so I settled for the HE-6's little brother. Will be using the Feliks Audio Elise to drive them, also have a Matrix Audio HPA-2C which will possibly drive them too. Shall see
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #17,942 of 20,386
  I just joined the club, lusted after the HE-6 since I first heard it about 3 years ago, but they don't come up for sale often and still cost a lot, so I settled for the HE-6's little brother. Will be using the Feliks Audio Elise to drive them, also have a Matrix Audio HPA-2C which will possibly drive them too. Shall see
smily_headphones1.gif

HE-500s remain one of HiFiMAN's best headphones IMO. They have a lovely tonality that is different enough from the HE-6 to make them worthwhile. 

I do think you're right to keep your eye out for the HE-6, but for now (and the next several months/years), just enjoy these fantastic headphones and appreciate you got a pair, since they are now discontinued :) 

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #17,943 of 20,386
Hello,

does anyone have a HE-500 to compare with AKG K501.
The thing is that my K501 has i would say a bigger Soundstage than my HE-500 by a good bit (its not small but compared to the AKG it's a noticeble difference).
I tried new Velour Pads and also a new cable but still not as wide as the K501 soundstage.
Is this normal or not, can anybody confirm?

Edit: ok, i compared the two hp again and it seems that both fill their soundstage in a different way, the K501 more left to right and the HE-500 a bit more midcentric. the Akg's are brighter, the Hifimans more smooth. both sound great though.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #17,944 of 20,386
  Hello,

The thing is that my K501 has i would say a bigger Soundstage than my HE-500 by a good bit (its not small but compared to the AKG it's a noticeble difference).
I tried new Velour Pads and also a new cable but still not as wide as the K501 soundstage.

Edit: ok, i compared the two hp again and it seems that both fill their soundstage in a different way, the K501 more left to right and the HE-500 a bit more midcentric. the Akg's are brighter, the Hifimans more smooth. both sound great though.

Sometimes brighter gives the appearance of a wider soundstage where the timbre of an instrument affects its placement.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #17,945 of 20,386
@StanD

yes, the more i hear the two hp the more i see similarities and differences.
Compared to the K501 the Hifiman has some bloom going on, definitely more sweet all through, especially the midrange.
My brain gettting just used to the "again new" soundsignature of the HE-500 (my Hifiman were broken for some time so i used my K501)
But I definitely prefer the Hifiman, although for the100 bucks i've paid for my AKG they giving good sound.

/rant

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #17,946 of 20,386
  @StanD

yes, the more i hear the two hp the more i see similarities and differences.
Compared to the K501 the Hifiman has some bloom going on, definitely more sweet all through, especially the midrange.
My brain gettting just used to the "again new" soundsignature of the HE-500 (my Hifiman were broken for some time so i used my K501)
But I definitely prefer the Hifiman, although for the100 bucks i've paid for my AKG they giving good sound.

/rant

There are worse things in life, like using a pair of earbuds purchased over the  counter for $10 at the local drug store or supermarket. After that thought either headphone sounds wonderful.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #17,947 of 20,386
This is my current listening rig (end game for now):

Feliks Audio Elise (stock tubes) > HE-500

I need to make a new cable for the HE-500, the stock one is so noisey. Also one of the locking ring tabs was broken on my pair (2nd hand) not a huge issue and I have glued it for now, Hifiman want $25 for one locking ring!!!

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #17,948 of 20,386
Is it the DT 770 headband pad that works on the HE-500, or would the HD650 headband pad be better?

Thanks,

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #17,950 of 20,386
  Hello,

I've found planar technology often results in a smaller soundstage than their dynamic equivalents.  I would liken it to sitting in the second row at a club venue vs 30th row at an outdoor amphitheater.  (Not referring to shear size but how the sound is presented to your ears).  I also don't find the HE-500 to have any bloom, I usually associate that term with a headphone that has extended decay in the bass frequencies.  Planar bass is fast and solid, one of the aspects I love about the technology.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #17,951 of 20,386

Another picture of my HE-500, enjoying The Used on vinyl through the Feliks Audio Elise
o2smile.gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #17,953 of 20,386
Knocked up a cable with some Van Damme minature Starquad cable I have a lot of, also some adapters,

I can now run them from my Marantz PM5005 integrated amp too

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #17,954 of 20,386
I've been eyeballing these since I picked up a Polaris. Previous only had a Valhalla 2 and only own dynamics but really want to try PM cans. Currently own the T1 and HD600's and wanted something with more of a bass presence and ended up grabbing a X00. I do enjoy the X00's... kinda, but I find the bass bleed (not a bass head) a little overwhelming and lack of refinement underwhelming. Hoping the 500's will do a better job. I'm not looking for a basshead can, just something that has a better presence and extension than the 600 and T1 but still holds detail and a solid presentation through the rest of the spectrum. These will be used as an all rounder (multiple genres and hopefully filling the gap on Electronica, Hip Hop, Nu Metal and other bass heavy genres that the 600 and T1's lack punch and extension for) for shorter listening sessions (couple of hours).  I've got a chance to grab a used set for a decent price but was hoping you good folks could help me out.

Are there any differences in the headphone it self with the version that came with the silver cable and the earlier version (Canare cable I believe)?

Coming from the T1 and 600, the issue of comfort and weight heavily concerns me. If I grab these I will also grab some Focus A pads and most likely a snap on Beyer headband pad. Will this do the job to compensate? I have little to no interest replacement the band assembly myself, not much into DIY

That being said, cruising through this thread there's so much mention of mods. Are all of theses mods needed? or is they simply fine tuning to your preference?

Coming from the 3 dynamics mentioned, anyone wanna provide some wisdom regarding this kind of shift. All and any is welcome.

Cheers,

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #17,955 of 20,386
I've been eyeballing these since I picked up a Polaris. Previous only had a Valhalla 2 and only own dynamics but really want to try PM cans. Currently own the T1 and HD600's and wanted something with more of a bass presence and ended up grabbing a X00. I do enjoy the X00's... kinda, but I find the bass bleed (not a bass head) a little overwhelming and lack of refinement underwhelming. Hoping the 500's will do a better job. I'm not looking for a basshead can, just something that has a better presence and extension than the 600 and T1 but still holds detail and a solid presentation through the rest of the spectrum. These will be used as an all rounder (multiple genres and hopefully filling the gap on Electronica, Hip Hop, Nu Metal and other bass heavy genres that the 600 and T1's lack punch and extension for) for shorter listening sessions (couple of hours).  I've got a chance to grab a used set for a decent price but was hoping you good folks could help me out.

Are there any differences in the headphone it self with the version that came with the silver cable and the earlier version (Canare cable I believe)?

Coming from the T1 and 600, the issue of comfort and weight heavily concerns me. If I grab these I will also grab some Focus A pads and most likely a snap on Beyer headband pad. Will this do the job to compensate? I have little to no interest replacement the band assembly myself, not much into DIY

That being said, cruising through this thread there's so much mention of mods. Are all of theses mods needed? or is they simply fine tuning to your preference?

Coming from the 3 dynamics mentioned, anyone wanna provide some wisdom regarding this kind of shift. All and any is welcome.

Cheers,

I don't have much to say except that I'm positive you will very much enjoy these headphones. I've attended a couple meets and tested many cans and am always amazed at the 500. For the price I don't think you can get close to their sound without dropping bunch of cash. The only mods I have done are a put a foam disc that I took out of my K7XX in front of each driver. I also installed a lohb head support band which makes these very comfortable. And last I installed HiFiMan Focus A pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back