HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 16, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #17,431 of 20,386
Hello mikey1964,
I currently own the HE-400i, and it is my favorite phone. Want to get the HE-500 for a long time because of the rave reviews. Wanted this as a complementary to my collection
biggrin.gif

Well, only if you have the right DAC/amp for it. Like I'd said, I wasn't really impressed with the HE500 on my Lyr (and before that, my Geek Pulse Standard) but all that changed when I'd gotten the Gustard stack......it was like, all the pieces fell into place in terms of sound reproduction from the HE500. I'd considered the HE400i the better can because it was lighter, more comfortable and seemed to have better bass, as well as mids and highs that matched the HE500. I saw no point in keeping the HE500, but the Gustard stack changed my mind, suddenly mids seems a little more forward, highs was pitch perfect for me as it was there, polite and never harsh and soundstage seemed to have opened up a little more (could be my imagination though......I suck at remembering sound.....describing sound too.....totally teh suck). Anyway, I suddenly I found the HE400i to be lacking even though I'd used the Gustard stack with it as well, the HE4 had a nice sparkle in the highs, good bass extension and silky mids that I like. The HE400i was the odd child that was neither here nor there (compared to the other two), so I sold it. Of course, this is all just my opinion based on my preference and hearing (though admittedly, at >50, my hearing is not as good as it was before, NOT that it was any good in the first place).

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #17,432 of 20,386
Thanks Guidostrunk for the classified. I would prefer an unaltered phones, so I could play with the modification myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Looked at the classified add and pictures I dont see any modifications ?  There are 1 spare cable and 1 pair of different pads included but those dont equal modifications.  415.00 shipping and paypal included seems like a pretty fair price

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #17,436 of 20,386
He-500's finally arrived. First impressions are 'so these are what mids/vocals are suppose to sound like'.

Was a bit bummed at first when I received them since the left connector was a bit loose(the bnc(?) connector would wiggle so the cable/connector could move side-to-side, the cable would be able to push in and out, and still twist even though the bolt was locked in) on the headphone, but was able to remedy it by using some pliers to tighten the nut on the headphone driver (since it wasn't fully flushed against the earcup); although it can still twist.

Hopefully will get my vegans sometime next week and compare my modded he-400's to these he-500's. Not too sure if I want to mod them (other than regrill) since so far I do enjoy their sound as is.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #17,437 of 20,386
  He-500's finally arrived. First impressions are 'so these are what mids/vocals are suppose to sound like'.

Was a bit bummed at first when I received them since the left connector was a bit loose(the bnc(?) connector would wiggle so the cable/connector could move side-to-side, the cable would be able to push in and out, and still twist even though the bolt was locked in) on the headphone, but was able to remedy it by using some pliers to tighten the nut on the headphone driver (since it wasn't fully flushed against the earcup); although it can still twist.

Hopefully will get my vegans sometime next week and compare my modded he-400's to these he-500's. Not too sure if I want to mod them (other than regrill) since so far I do enjoy their sound as is.

Congrats.  Personally, I'd recommend the re-grill and the fuzzor mod.  Both made significant, and positive, improvements to me.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #17,438 of 20,386
Yea I might try messing with fuzzor with after trying them with just the vegans since I read a few pages back that with fuzzor + vegan it becomes a bit too dampened (fuzzor'd my he-400's though).

Surprisingly enough I do not find these sibilant at all (saw a couple of posts here and through other means saying these had a lot of sibilance) when compared to my dt880's/he-400's.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #17,440 of 20,386
Yea first thing I did was take off the grills (learned the wonders of doing so with the he-400's).

Will just need to remake some grills later on when I have time and just rock them grill-less for now.

Currently using some HM5 angled velours, and am liking them mainly for comfort.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #17,441 of 20,386
Once I put my Vegan pads on, I immediately removed the fuzzor mod. Way to dampened, to my ears.
Yea I might try messing with fuzzor with after trying them with just the vegans since I read a few pages back that with fuzzor + vegan it becomes a bit too dampened (fuzzor'd my he-400's though).

Surprisingly enough I do not find these sibilant at all (saw a couple of posts here and through other means saying these had a lot of sibilance) when compared to my dt880's/he-400's.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #17,442 of 20,386
I'm back to grill-less myself. I just recently made these grills:

After 2 days of A/B testing, went back to no grills. I prefer the airy , more open sound. Imo, bass presentation seems wider and images bigger with no grills.
Yea first thing I did was take off the grills (learned the wonders of doing so with the he-400's).

Will just need to remake some grills later on when I have time and just rock them grill-less for now.

Currently using some HM5 angled velours, and am liking them mainly for comfort.

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #17,445 of 20,386
  I am looking at the Gustard H10 to partner my Chord Hugo and HE500's, I would welcome any thoughts and views.

h10 + he500 = AWESOME (imho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back