HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 5, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #17,146 of 20,374
  FYI I just received the HE-560 headband to replace the HE-500 band and it is not a direct replacement :frowning2:

The screws that secure the HE-500 band to the cups are a significantly smaller diameter than the moulded protrusions on the HE-560 headband.  As it stands you will need to drill out the holes to a larger diameter to accommodate the HE-560 headband.

I will keep poking around but its not looking good from first impressions.

Thanks for letting us know. I was considering swapping headbands once my HE-500 arrived. I guess stock it is...

Now I'll focus and finding a reasonably priced DAC/AMP to run the 500s. Considering the Audio-GD FNB-11 or FNB-15 ATM.

For now my C5D and SB E5 will have to suffice, if possible.

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #17,147 of 20,374
Paid for the HE-560 band on Saturday.

Well, now I can begin my post-purchase mourning in advance.  

Edit - 
To clarify, Customer Service changed what they said.  It would only be free if I sent them my HE-500, and only if it were for the HE-500 band, not the HE-560 band.  Figured I would prefer the HE-560 band so I paid the $50.  

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #17,148 of 20,374
Sent a message to the customer service again, asking about the compatibility and here is the reply -

"Actually it is compatible. But according to our technicians, the installing process is a little complicated.

We ask customers each time when they want to buy a HE560 headband for their HE500 whether they can install it by themselves. If not, they should send the item back to our warehouse and our colleagues will make it."

Of course they happened to completely gloss over that before asking for payment for the band..

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #17,149 of 20,374
Sent a message to the customer service again, asking about the compatibility and here is the reply -

"Actually it is compatible. But according to our technicians, the installing process is a little complicated.

We ask customers each time when they want to buy a HE560 headband for their HE500 whether they can install it by themselves. If not, they should send the item back to our warehouse and our colleagues will make it."

Of course they happened to completely gloss over that before asking for payment for the band..

I just got the same message despite asking for instructions previously. I would have to ship it to hifiman in the USA for a retrofit and I'm based in the UK. :/

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #17,150 of 20,374
I just got the same message despite asking for instructions previously. I would have to ship it to hifiman in the USA for a retrofit and I'm based in the UK. :/

I just moved to Colombia for school.  Not shipping my HE-500 to the USA to get them fitted, either..

Sent a message back asking for instructions on how to install for when they arrive..

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #17,151 of 20,374
I missed delivery of my used pair of HE-500s today, so will be picking it up at the post office tomorrow. Not sure how well my current DAC/AMPS will be able to drive them (Sound Blaster E5 & JDS Labs C5D). I seen a few recommendations and debating which one I should go with.

iFi Micro iDSD $499 free shipping
Audio-GD NFB-11 $325 plus shipping
Audio-GD NFB-15 $250

Any experience or thought about these options?

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #17,152 of 20,374
  I missed delivery of my used pair of HE-500s today, so will be picking it up at the post office tomorrow. Not sure how well my current DAC/AMPS will be able to drive them (Sound Blaster E5 & JDS Labs C5D). I seen a few recommendations and debating which one I should go with.

Audio-GD NFB-15 $250

Do you want a dac/amp combo or separate units?  Budget?

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #17,153 of 20,374

Audio-GD NFB-15 $250

I find the iFi iDSD drives mine really well. I also use them with my iFi stack, iUSB, iCan, iTube and they sound fantastic through that as well

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #17,154 of 20,374
For the price of the ifi, you can probably scoop up a vali2, and a modi2 Uber , for around the same price. Or pick up a lyr1 , from the for sale forum for around $225. And get a Modi2 to pair with it. Just a suggestion.

Audio-GD NFB-15 $250

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #17,155 of 20,374
Been stalking you guys for two years now. This is my first post :)

I have the HE-400 Rev*3, and I keep wondering if the difference in detail as compared to the HE-500 is being overstated due
to HE-500 owners being so proud on their ownership. 

Being a proud HE-400 myself because of it's amazing instrument separation,speed, detail, bass linearity and presence, the overall dark
tone due to the scooped  2khz-5khz zone and lastly the screaming highs that are pure euphoria to my ears.

Now here is a possible interesting notion. The HE-400 is almost as neutral as a headphone can be. It's only slightly
too sharp sounding around the 10khz area, causing the cymbals for example to sound a little hot (crashing impact?). But I find that's the only added spice
to an otherwise linear sound reproduction. I also have the Soundmagic HP150. Being on the bright side of neutral, I always find my ears being bothered by the "neutral frequency response"  of the 2-5khz zone, and it always takes a few songs before my ears are used to the presentation.

The most sensitive frequency of our human ears are:
https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS543US543&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=most+sensitive+frequency
And If I look at the frequency response from the HE-400, the significant scoop in the 2khz-5khz is in sync with the fact that our hearing is the most sensitive around
that frequency. Now wouldn't a true neutral headphone have a scooped 2khz-5khz in the frequency response? I know everyone's ears are different, but out of my collection
of HTF600, DT770(32ohms), HD 598, HP150 and the HE-400, the HE-400 I can listen to all day while on the others fatigue sets in earlier then I would like. 

I really want to buy an HE-500 after all the praising about it's midrange and detail it gets, but am afraid it will be a tad bit too bright for my likings and since I
already own the HE-400 I am also wondering if I am shelling out 500$ will I also be rewarded with a more detailed headphone, or does it just have a different signature?

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #17,156 of 20,374

Do you want a dac/amp combo or separate units?  Budget?

I prefer a combo unie and would like to keep it under $500, thus the options I listed. I will likely be selling a few of my cans to fund this (DT 770 80ohms, Fidelio L2, DT 1350 and  Solo 2 most likely).

I find the iFi iDSD drives mine really well. I also use them with my iFi stack, iUSB, iCan, iTube and they sound fantastic through that as well

Do you find the stack superior? just curious, I really prefer an all in one solution.

For the price of the ifi, you can probably scoop up a vali2, and a modi2 Uber , for around the same price. Or pick up a lyr1 , from the for sale forum for around $225. And get a Modi2 to pair with it. Just a suggestion.

I should of specified my preference towards an all in one solution thus Shiit isn't something I'm looking at. Also not wanting to get into tubes. Though I could have fun talking about my Shiit :p

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #17,157 of 20,374

I prefer a combo unie and would like to keep it under $500, thus the options I listed. I will likely be selling a few of my cans to fund this (DT 770 80ohms, Fidelio L2, DT 1350 and  Solo 2 most likely).
Do you find the stack superior? just curious, I really prefer an all in one solution.

I should of specified my preference towards an all in one solution thus Shiit isn't something I'm looking at. Also not wanting to get into tubes. Though I could have fun talking about my Shiit :p

It's my bedside rig and performs really well hooked up to my squeezebox touch fed through my MBP.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #17,158 of 20,374
I feel like the Schiit stack with the Vali 2 is going to give you more value than any/most combo units around the same price.  It's a heck of a deal.  And, if you pair it with the Modi 2, then it takes up very minimal desk space.  And, since you seem to be anti-tube, the Magni 2 or Asgard 2 will suit the bill just fine.

And, if you want to up things a bit, you can score a used Bifrost Uber for pretty cheap these days, which opens you up to the MB upgrade down the line.  I picked one up last week for $250.  

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #17,159 of 20,374
  I feel like the Schiit stack with the Vali 2 is going to give you more value than any/most combo units around the same price.  It's a heck of a deal.  And, if you pair it with the Modi 2, then it takes up very minimal desk space.  And, since you seem to be anti-tube, the Magni 2 or Asgard 2 will suit the bill just fine.

And, if you want to up things a bit, you can score a used Bifrost Uber for pretty cheap these days, which opens you up to the MB upgrade down the line.  I picked one up last week for $250.  

I will consider/look into the Schiit Stack as people keep recommending them.

No input on the Audio GD FNB-11or FNB-15. They came up a few times as I was reading up on DAC/AMPS for the HE-500.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #17,160 of 20,374
In your price range. The schiit stack is hard to beat. Give them 500's some tube goodness. You'll never look back. :) LOL.
I will consider/look into the Schiit Stack as people keep recommending them.

No input on the Audio GD FNB-11or FNB-15. They came up a few times as I was reading up on DAC/AMPS for the HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back