HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 3, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #17,131 of 20,374
  I bought the Focus Pads just over a year ago.  At that time I chose the Focus Pads because they were slightly larger than the Focus A Pads.  However I just checked the HiFiMan website to see what the actual size difference is and to my surprise I see that both pads have exactly the same interior dimension.  Very odd.

Anyway I seem to have slightly larger than average ears so I chose the (larger??pads) Focus Pads because I don't like tight squishy fitting ear pads.  Now that there is no apparent size difference, it would be interesting to hear how these 2 pads differ in sound.  In any event I have no complaints with the Focus Pad comfort or sound whatsoever.

I was hoping that @Hansotek could give us a quick comparison and tell us about the differences. 
L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #17,132 of 20,374

I bought the Focus Pads just over a year ago.  At that time I chose the Focus Pads because they were slightly larger than the Focus A Pads.  However I just checked the HiFiMan website to see what the actual size difference is and to my surprise I see that both pads have exactly the same interior dimension.  Very odd.

Anyway I seem to have slightly larger than average ears so I chose the (larger??pads) Focus Pads because I don't like tight squishy fitting ear pads.  Now that there is no apparent size difference, it would be interesting to hear how these 2 pads differ in sound.  In any event I have no complaints with the Focus Pad comfort or sound whatsoever.

I was hoping that @Hansotek
could give us a quick comparison and tell us about the differences. :L3000:

Sure. The main difference is in the very upper part of the midrange between 2khz and 4khz. The FocusPad has about is about 2-3db higher in through this range. Personally, I find it makes the HE500 a little bit shouty, but YMMV. The FocusPad-A sticks a bit closer to the frequency response of the original velour pads, though I feel the timbre of the instruments improves a bit on FPA (stock velour is a tad dry in comparison). Because this 2khz to 4khz presence region is so sensitive and has so much bearing on our perception of space, the FocusPad-A will seem bassier/slightly darker and will appear to have a larger soundstage for most people vs. FocusPad. I whole-heartedly recommend FPA as the better choice.

If you have a pair of stock leather pads with the foam spacers, I'd highly recommend inserting those spacers directly underneath the plastic attachment piece on the underside of the FocusPad-A for a substantial gain in bass quality, a slight boost in bass quantity, better clarity and improved instrument separation.

It should also be noted that FPA's ear opening is 0.5 cm smaller than FP... So if you have big ears, it might not be your most comfortable option. I'm about 6' with normal-sized ears, and it's not at all problematic for me... Just an FYI.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #17,133 of 20,374
I'm requesting anyone in South Florida to maybe let me hear an HE500. I've been dying to hear one for a long time so I figured I'd try my luck. I can bring the LCD2s and ESP950s for a minimeet

Here in South Florida are you? I just purchased a used pair today and it should be on it way to me shortly.

Just say someone else has already offered. offer still stands if you need it. I'm in WPB.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #17,134 of 20,374
Sure. The main difference is in the very upper part of the midrange between 2khz and 4khz. The FocusPad has about is about 2-3db higher in through this range. Personally, I find it makes the HE500 a little bit shouty, but YMMV. The FocusPad-A sticks a bit closer to the frequency response of the original velour pads, though I feel the timbre of the instruments improves a bit on FPA (stock velour is a tad dry in comparison). Because this 2khz to 4khz presence region is so sensitive and has so much bearing on our perception of space, the FocusPad-A will seem bassier/slightly darker and will appear to have a larger soundstage for most people vs. FocusPad. I whole-heartedly recommend FPA as the better choice.

If you have a pair of stock leather pads with the foam spacers, I'd highly recommend inserting those spacers directly underneath the plastic attachment piece on the underside of the FocusPad-A for a substantial gain in bass quality, a slight boost in bass quantity, better clarity and improved instrument separation.

It should also be noted that FPA's ear opening is 0.5 cm smaller than FP... So if you have big ears, it might not be your most comfortable option. I'm about 6' with normal-sized ears, and it's not at all problematic for me... Just an FYI.

Thanks! As I can see it the FPA seem to be quite similar to Jerg modded pads. I actually quite like the slight brightness that the FocusPads produce. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #17,135 of 20,374
Thanks! As I can see it the FPA seem to be quite similar to Jerg modded pads. I actually quite like the slight brightness that the FocusPads produce. 

Sure. Actually, technically speaking, the FocusPad is closer to the JergPad than the FPA. FP and JP both have the perforated plastic underside. This is actually the same feature that causes that slight brightness in the 2khz-4khz range. For this reason, I prefer the FP on the HE400, as it helps even out the frequency range a little bit.

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #17,136 of 20,374
I already have a pad semi-permanently glued to the top. It was the first mod I did. I'm debating the Sorbothane mod if I can see exactly how I'm supposed to apply it. On Monday, I may order a new cable, not for sound quality, but just because the stock cable is microphonic and thin.

I use this cable, and I think it sounds pretty good: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/cables/occ-balanced-headphone-cable-3m-for-he-series.html

As for the sorbothane, it depends on the effect your trying to achieve. A little goes a long way, and the headphone can become over-damped pretty easily, IMO. I'd recommend starting by placing a 3/8" x 3/8" square on the outside of the headphone maybe an inch or so behind the cable entry (behind where your earlobes would be). This will be enough to cancel a decent amount of excess vibration from the housing without creating a lot of audible artifacts.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #17,137 of 20,374
Sure. Actually, technically speaking, the FocusPad is closer to the JergPad than the FPA. FP and JP both have the perforated plastic underside. This is actually the same feature that causes that slight brightness in the 2khz-4khz range. For this reason, I prefer the FP on the HE400, as it helps even out the frequency range a little bit.

I have both Focus Pads and Jerg moded pads and the Focus pads are a tad brighter. Very good pads imo are Brainwavz HM5 mamory velours. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #17,138 of 20,374

I have both Focus Pads and Jerg moded pads and the Focus pads are a tad brighter. Very good pads imo are Brainwavz HM5 mamory velours. 

Lol. Yes, they are both soft and visually appealing. :D

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #17,139 of 20,374
Jan 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #17,141 of 20,374

Lol. Yes, they are both soft and visually appealing.
biggrin.gif

So you don't like what they do to the sound of HE-500 :)

I was just having fun with your typo, hehehe!

I'm not a big fan of the brainwavez pads. They sound a bit veiled and smeary to me. YMMV, of course. Lots of people like them.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #17,143 of 20,374
FYI I just received the HE-560 headband to replace the HE-500 band and it is not a direct replacement :frowning2:

The screws that secure the HE-500 band to the cups are a significantly smaller diameter than the moulded protrusions on the HE-560 headband.  As it stands you will need to drill out the holes to a larger diameter to accommodate the HE-560 headband.

I will keep poking around but its not looking good from first impressions.

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #17,144 of 20,374
  FYI I just received the HE-560 headband to replace the HE-500 band and it is not a direct replacement :frowning2:

The screws that secure the HE-500 band to the cups are a significantly smaller diameter than the moulded protrusions on the HE-560 headband.  As it stands you will need to drill out the holes to a larger diameter to accommodate the HE-560 headband.

I will keep poking around but its not looking good from first impressions.

I had a feeling this would happen.

Terrible customer service on their end.  Their reps need to have a clue what they're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back