HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 5, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #16,996 of 20,386
I went from HD800 to HE-500. HE-500 has better harmonical and musical coherence and better bass extension. HE-500 sounds more "natural" and is easier to listen to/live with. 

I have both and agree with your assessment of the HE-500. I would also had the HE-500 has more body, density and richness. It is smoother as well.
But...I LOVE listening to large classical orchestras on the HD800 due to the large Soundstage and more air and space around instruments. I think both headphones complement each other very well. I love them both :)

Edit: 'Moisture' is the word I was looking for, which is what the HE-500 has more of.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #16,997 of 20,386
I have both and agree with your assessment of the HE-500. I would also had the HE-500 has more body, density and richness. It is smoother as well.
But...I LOVE listening to large classical orchestras on the HD800 due to the large Soundstage and more air and space around instruments. I think both headphones complement each other very well. I love them both
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: 'Moisture' is the word I was looking for, which is what the HE-500 has more of.

Agreed. No headphone is perfect and it is great to be able to have different "flavors". HD800 is great with large orchestras. I kept my (much cheaper) T90 for that purpose. T90 is not as good as HD800 in soundstaging but "easier" on the ear and, for me, more enjoyable. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #16,999 of 20,386
Nov 7, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #17,001 of 20,386
Agreed. No headphone is perfect and it is great to be able to have different "flavors". HD800 is great with large orchestras. I kept my (much cheaper) T90 for that purpose. T90 is not as good as HD800 in soundstaging but "easier" on the ear and, for me, more enjoyable. 

Agree. I keep on getting impressed by the he-500. It really grows on you and it holds up really well against the "very best" ones. I get immersed in its music for 2-3 hours at a time and am in pure bliss. Especially with live music. I ordered a used hd600 and plan to buy a hd800 (used, as the prices are going off a cliff) or the new hd800s. But my he500 stays in the house.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #17,002 of 20,386
Anyone with experience with this cable (Venus Audio):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692535104?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

good build quality, no microphonisc (as the original one), however a little bit heavy and awkward ... i didn't find any particular sonic differences, anyway i hate spending time in side by side comparisons, struggling to discern any ...

in my case, however, this ebay seller (venus audio) sent me the wrong length, and despite the fact that initially he admitted his fault and aggreed to change with the right one, he never did so ... I tried to remind him, two or three times, but he pretended he didn't remember in his first reply and then he didn't respond   ... so I quit the efforts ...

Nov 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #17,003 of 20,386
The Norne Vanquish is in the house and singing with the HE500.......................MUCH nicer than the stock and no microphonics, cant really say I hear any differences that stick out yet.  Been running about 1 hour so far.............It is handsome though

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #17,004 of 20,386
  Anyone with experience with this cable (Venus Audio):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121692535104?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

good build quality, no microphonisc (as the original one), however a little bit heavy and awkward ... i didn't find any particular sonic differences, anyway i hate spending time in side by side comparisons, struggling to discern any ...

in my case, however, this ebay seller (venus audio) sent me the wrong length, and despite the fact that initially he admitted his fault and aggreed to change with the right one, he never did so ... I tried to remind him, two or three times, but he pretended he didn't remember in his first reply and then he didn't respond   ... so I quit the efforts ...

Thanks! I have dealt with other heavy cables (Cardas) and it was ok. he most important thing is he absence of microphonics.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #17,005 of 20,386
This might be crazy, but i felt like this is the thread that could help me:

About 1 week ago, i was reading a thread (can't remember where, this is the part that sucks) about HE-500 mods and improving comfort. I remember reading a post from some guy where he said he was going to remove the the screws that hold together the HE-500 and replace them with lightweight screws? He sounded confident about it and mentioned it would potentially reduce the weight by 50g. 

Is this common? Has anybody thought/done this? What kind of lightweight screws was he talking about?

Any ways, hopefully this wasn't just a crazy guy posting bs on a thread. 50g would be a substantial reduction and would make this headphone (along with HM5 Hybrid pads and HD558 headband) comfortable.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #17,006 of 20,386
In addition to needing a bedroom amp, I  was curious if an O2 would power some of my higher end phones to a satisfactory level of performance.  I would like to provide my .02 in the oft asked/answered question as to whether or not the O2 will sufficiently drive the HE-500.  I've come to the following conclusions:

Pros:

Mids are still presented quite admirably and I do love the HE-500 mids
Sufficient volume levels reached for my typical listening habits
Low noise floor

Neutral:

Sound stage is inline for this headphone... it doesn't help (expand) but it doesn't hurt either 

Cons:

Bass impact is significantly lower than my reference listed below, overall quantity is the same... just sounds softer and with fashionable wool scarf in tow
Highs are less controlled... I'm finally hearing that "tizzz" people occasionally reference

Conclusion:  

While the headphones will be loud enough and still sound pretty good... these things just need more power to be at their best.  Anyone wondering if the extra funds sunk into a more powerful amp will make a difference?  I've got to say in my opinion in the case of the HE-500 the answer is most certainly YES.  Now on to see how it pairs with the T1...

Asides:

My HE-500's are stock and I have the most time spent with Phillips MiniWatt SQ '69 tubes as well a decent chunk with the EH 6922 NP tubes in the Lyr.  My O2 is of the Mass Drop variety. I still think the O2 sounds really good with most 'phones from IEM's to moderately hungry full size cans, not knocking it in the any way!

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #17,007 of 20,386
  In addition to needing a bedroom amp, I  was curious if an O2 would power some of my higher end phones to a satisfactory level of performance.  I would like to provide my .02 in the oft asked/answered question as to whether or not the O2 will sufficiently drive the HE-500.  I've come to the following conclusions:

Pros:

Mids are still presented quite admirably and I do love the HE-500 mids
Sufficient volume levels reached for my typical listening habits
Low noise floor

Neutral:

Sound stage is inline for this headphone... it doesn't help (expand) but it doesn't hurt either 

Cons:

Bass impact is significantly lower than my reference listed below, overall quantity is the same... just sounds softer and with fashionable wool scarf in tow
Highs are less controlled... I'm finally hearing that "tizzz" people occasionally reference

Conclusion:  

While the headphones will be loud enough and still sound pretty good... these things just need more power to be at their best.  Anyone wondering if the extra funds sunk into a more powerful amp will make a difference?  I've got to say in my opinion in the case of the HE-500 the answer is most certainly YES.  Now on to see how it pairs with the T1...

Asides:

My HE-500's are stock and I have the most time spent with Phillips MiniWatt SQ '69 tubes as well a decent chunk with the EH 6922 NP tubes in the Lyr.  My O2 is of the Mass Drop variety. I still think the O2 sounds really good with most 'phones from IEM's to moderately hungry full size cans, not knocking it in the any way!

Nice review but I've got a question
tongue.gif
. How can you be so sure that the difference between O2 and Lyr you experienced is because of lack of power? It could be anything else actually. Lyr is a tube amp and the lack of tizz with the Lyr could be because of the tubes smoothing out (distorting?) the high frequencies. The lack of impact in the bass region could be because of insufficient current supply from the PSU. 

You write that the soundstage is similar and that the mids are fine. In my experience an underpowered headphone would have smeared soundstage and messy mids (the regions with most energy and where the most power is required). Those are probably the obvious indicators that your HE-500 is not underpowered by the O2
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #17,008 of 20,386

Nice review but I've got a question
tongue.gif
. How can you be so sure that the difference between O2 and Lyr you experienced is because of lack of power? It could be anything else actually. Lyr is a tube amp and the lack of tizz with the Lyr could be because of the tubes smoothing out (distorting?) the high frequencies. The lack of impact in the bass region could be because of insufficient current supply from the PSU. 

You write that the soundstage is similar and that the mids are fine. In my experience an underpowered headphone would have smeared soundstage and messy mids (the regions with most energy and where the most power is required). Those are probably the obvious indicators that your HE-500 is not underpowered by the O2
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably so.  Moar power is rarely the answer, but moreso the overall implementation of the amp.

That said, moar power with these headphones certainly doesn't seem to hurt, either.  
tongue.gif

The Project Ember makes them sing.  Hybrid tube amps seem to be a smart choice.  

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #17,010 of 20,386
Do you mean to say "more"?

Nope.

It's a slight jab at the folks who think that power is the only thing that matters.  

This isn't pointed at badfish or anyone in particular...the call for POWER above all else just gets a little tired after a while.  
wink.gif

"Oh, you think that headphone and amp pairing sounds good!?!?   You've lost your mind.  Nothing short of a nuclear reactor is sufficient to drove THOSE headphones".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back