HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #16,981 of 20,386
Oct 27, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #16,982 of 20,386
Is anyone using the HE-500 with a powerful vintage receiver through the speaker outputs and Hifiman adaptor box?
I'm just wondering if there are any gains to be made versus using the headphone jack.
I believe the adaptor box provides a 35ohm output impedance while the headphone jack impedance is much higher. I can see the adaptor box providing more volume headroom, however I don't know if there would be a difference is sound signature. Curious to know if certain frequencies will be emphasized/under-emphasized using the 35ohm output.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #16,983 of 20,386
Is anyone using the HE-500 with a powerful vintage receiver through the speaker outputs and Hifiman adaptor box?
I'm just wondering if there are any gains to be made versus using the headphone jack.
I believe the adaptor box provides a 35ohm output impedance while the headphone jack impedance is much higher. I can see the adaptor box providing more volume headroom, however I don't know if there would be a difference is sound signature. Curious to know if certain frequencies will be emphasized/under-emphasized using the 35ohm output.

I just gotvintage amp and I'm using it straight from the headphone out. From my understanding that's how these old vintage amps work. They didn't make a different amp for the headphone like the modern amps. The vintage amps just ran a tap from the speaker outs with resistors. What ohm, I don't know. I'm getting great results from the headphone out but going to see how it's like straight from the speaker out to see what it sounds like

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #16,984 of 20,386
I just gotvintage amp and I'm using it straight from the headphone out. From my understanding that's how these old vintage amps work. They didn't make a different amp for the headphone like the modern amps. The vintage amps just ran a tap from the speaker outs with resistors. What ohm, I don't know. I'm getting great results from the headphone out but going to see how it's like straight from the speaker out to see what it sounds like

Do you have an adaptor box to connect straight to the speaker terminals?

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #16,986 of 20,386
Nov 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #16,988 of 20,386
Anyone who has experience with soldering new HE-500 drivers into HE-500 cups? Please send me a PM.

No one I guess 
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #16,990 of 20,386
Anyone who has experience with soldering new HE-500 drivers into HE-500 cups? Please send me a PM.

I haven't done it with the HE500, but I have taken apart the HE-6. The only thing you should have to solder is the connection wire to the cable jack. The driver itself is just mounted in there with the screws on that plastic circle you clip the earpads to.

Not sure what the indicators are for positive and negative on the wires and jack, since I haven't taken that apart. I would imagine there is some kind of indication though, or perhaps someone else can answer that part.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #16,991 of 20,386
I haven't done it with the HE500, but I have taken apart the HE-6. The only thing you should have to solder is the connection wire to the cable jack. The driver itself is just mounted in there with the screws on that plastic circle you clip the earpads to.

Not sure what the indicators are for positive and negative on the wires and jack, since I haven't taken that apart. I would imagine there is some kind of indication though, or perhaps someone else can answer that part.

Thank you! I am quite sure thar the left side wire on the driver goes to the signal (positive) connection on the jack. What I can see, there are no any kind of indicators on the wires coming from the drivers.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #16,992 of 20,386

lol LCD-X are not resolving. However for a Bassy  Planar Headphone they are impressive. I do think HE-560 are superior to LCD-X besides the build quality. HE-4 though have the best of both worlds. I want to try the HD800 but fear that might sound extremely analytical.

Cheers

I went from HE500 to HD800, I dont find them analytical at all when paired with the right gear, They are certainly more detailed, revealing, & clear

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #16,993 of 20,386
  I went from HE500 to HD800, I dont find them analytical at all when paired with the right gear, They are certainly more detailed, revealing, & clear

I went from HD800 to HE-500. HE-500 has better harmonical and musical coherence and better bass extension. HE-500 sounds more "natural" and is easier to listen to/live with. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #16,994 of 20,386
  I went from HD800 to HE-500. HE-500 has better harmonical and musical coherence and better bass extension. HE-500 sounds more "natural" and is easier to listen to/live with. 

Keep Both,  I am.................while I will admit the 800 is not perfect I will also admit the 500 is not either,  They both have there strengths / weaknesses.  That said the 800 reputation as a bright analytical can is somewhat overblown..............I honestly think with out that stigma that has been attached alot more folks would actually like the hd800 for its strengths

If I had to have just 1 set I think it would have to be the hd800...................Thankfully I am not there yet

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #16,995 of 20,386
I also keep the HD800 and HE500 , I think they make a very complimentary pair
Generally I run the HD800 on tubes and the HE500 balanced ss . Tubes tame the HD800 and the balanced ss gives the power and control the HE500 thrives with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back