HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 12, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #16,561 of 20,386

Interesting.  I was considering upgrading to the HE-500 with a Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2, but now I'm leaning toward that Gustard stack + the U12 somewhere down the line.  The Gustard stack has the benefit of XLR connections and no tube rolling which cuts down on costs.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #16,562 of 20,386

I will roll tubes on my preamp if it makes you feel better.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #16,563 of 20,386
The HE-500 can be a good alternative, but it depends a bit on your mod configuration and the other equipment in your chain. It definitely was the headphone that ended my basshead can search. With the fuzzor mod, a decent cable and the right pads it's not terribly far off from the LCD-XC, to my ears.

What you heard about the HE400 isn't quite right. It has bigger bass, yes. But it's NOT sloppy or muddy at all. It's very, very clean, tight and fast bass. The problem with that one is the other frequency ranges. The mids are quite colored (which can be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view) and there is a pretty significant spike in the treble. It's a good headphone, one that I've held onto, despite many other significant upgrades... mostly because the bass is so great.

The HE560 is just very neutral and very linear all around. I wouldn't say it sounds the same as the T1, but I can't see owning both for any reason. They check a lot of the same boxes.

I believe the new 400S model is a bit more on the neutral side. I haven't heard the 400i.

In response of Thenewguy007:
Listening to Aphex Twin - Syro on my HE-400 now and the bass is gorgeous, fast and deep.
Definitely not muddy or boomy.
Before the amp I heard a slight recession in the high mids but after giving it some proper amp (sure there may be better ones but for me the Asgard2 works
great with the HE-400) and those frequencies come forward.
I was really deciding between the 400 or the 500 but knowing I needed an amp and dac as well and reading all the comments about the bass I decided to
go for the HE-400. Have not regretted it a single second since.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #16,564 of 20,386
Could anyone recommend a balanced cable for my he500? Sonic properties are not really important, I'm really after built quality and value. Thank you in advice

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #16,565 of 20,386
Could anyone recommend a balanced cable for my he500? Sonic properties are not really important, I'm really after built quality and value. Thank you in advance

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #16,566 of 20,386
Could anyone recommend a balanced cable for my he500? Sonic properties are not really important, I'm really after built quality and value. Thank you in advice

If you've got a soldering iron you can build one yourself on the cheap for $40 using high quality components. Most of the cost of a cable is just labour and maybe some cosmetic items here and there. If the look is more important to you then its worthwhile buying a custom cable.

A worthwhile improvement in my view is retrofitting the headphone sockets to mini-XLR types, like BTG audio for example does and getting rid of SMC connectors altogether which will greatly enhance the longevity of your headphone. I have so many issues with broken SMC connectors over the years (had to fix my expensive cable just yesterday as the SMC connector pulled out) that I'm still scratching my head why Hifiman ever decided it was a good solution for a headphone connector? 

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #16,567 of 20,386
Frankly, the stock HE-6 OFC cable is very good (and not expensive).

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #16,568 of 20,386

A worthwhile improvement in my view is retrofitting the headphone sockets to mini-XLR types, like BTG audio for example does and getting rid of SMC connectors altogether which will greatly enhance the longevity of your headphone. I have so many issues with broken SMC connectors over the years (had to fix my expensive cable just yesterday as the SMC connector pulled out) that I'm still scratching my head why Hifiman ever decided it was a good solution for a headphone connector? 

+1 I would have done exactly that when SMC connector to cup broke if I didn't already have a custom cable :neutral_face:

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #16,570 of 20,386
I just joined the HE-500 club ten minutes ago! I placed my order online but opted for 7-10 day shipping to save money (probably to spend on more albums). The next week will be a horrendous wait but I'm about to re-enter my graduate program and start a new internship, so I'll have plenty of distractions.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #16,571 of 20,386
I just joined the HE-500 club ten minutes ago! I placed my order online but opted for 7-10 day shipping to save money (probably to spend on more albums). The next week will be a horrendous wait but I'm about to re-enter my graduate program and start a new internship, so I'll have plenty of distractions.

Cheers! :beerchug:

Congratulations. You will not be disappointed.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #16,572 of 20,386

If you've got a soldering iron you can build one yourself on the cheap for $40 using high quality components. Most of the cost of a cable is just labour and maybe some cosmetic items here and there. If the look is more important to you then its worthwhile buying a custom cable.

Hi daerron,

Thank you for the advice. I've found a local modder to mod the HE-500 connectors to Audeze's. Will be a lot easier as BST threads have a lot of used Audeze cables I could buy from. 

Regards

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #16,573 of 20,386
For whatever reason, Audio Advisor just bumped my shipping class up to expedited, free of charge. I'll get my HE-500s Wednesday, which happens to be the only day this week when I'll actually have time to devote to them. How awesome! I can't wait to post initial impressions.

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #16,575 of 20,386
Has anyone here tried their 500 with the new(er) Project Solstice?

They sound absolutely amazing from the Ember.  I'm wondering if the Solstice will get you the same result without the extra cost.  I really couldn't care less about pre-amp out and some of the other features that the Ember comes with.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back