HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #16,531 of 20,386
I had my focus pad pre for 3 months and one of the earpads is falling apart =/, i hoped it lasted longer then that. I guess I have to take up sowing and try to fix it one of these days.

Edit: they came all the way apart on both sides, Had to put back on the stock Velvet pads, At-least I have the plastic ring so maybe I can use that on another headphone brand earpad and put it on the Hifiman HE-500s.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #16,533 of 20,386
has anyone compare the he500 to oppo pm1/2 ?

I have between the PM-1 and the HE-500. I preferred the HE-500. The PM-1 was a nice headphone, though, but it was too intimate and creamy in the mids for my preferences and on my setup, which was the Lyr and Gungnir using Russian NOS tubes. Unless you want the extra bling, I would choose the PM-2 over the PM-1 and change out the pads. By doing so, the two become sonically indistinguishable. I have heard the PM-3 is the best of Oppo's releases yet, but cannot confirm since I lack experience. Also we are not talking apples and apples anymore since the PM-3 is a portable and sealed.

I would wager Oppo's HA-1 unsurprisingly pairs very well with the PM-1/2. I have listened to the HE-560s through the HA-1's balanced out and thought it was a touch bright, though still enjoyable. Given the signature of the PM-1/2, this might make a good pairing.

The HE-500 seemed more linear and balanced, more open and clear than the Oppo. Since Oppo jumped into the fray immediately with guns blazing, competing directly with other flagships, I have a lot of respect for their headphone engineers and am confident they will make a killer headphone should they persist through this first generation. By all accounts I have read of the PM-3, this appears to be the case. And the build quality of all their gear is exceptionally handsome and understated.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #16,535 of 20,386

I have between the PM-1 and the HE-500. I preferred the HE-500. The PM-1 was a nice headphone, though, but it was too intimate and creamy in the mids for my preferences and on my setup, which was the Lyr and Gungnir using Russian NOS tubes. Unless you want the extra bling, I would choose the PM-2 over the PM-1 and change out the pads. By doing so, the two become sonically indistinguishable. I have heard the PM-3 is the best of Oppo's releases yet, but cannot confirm since I lack experience. Also we are not talking apples and apples anymore since the PM-3 is a portable and sealed.

I would wager Oppo's HA-1 unsurprisingly pairs very well with the PM-1/2. I have listened to the HE-560s through the HA-1's balanced out and thought it was a touch bright, though still enjoyable. Given the signature of the PM-1/2, this might make a good pairing.

The HE-500 seemed more linear and balanced, more open and clear than the Oppo. Since Oppo jumped into the fray immediately with guns blazing, competing directly with other flagships, I have a lot of respect for their headphone engineers and am confident they will make a killer headphone should they persist through this first generation. By all accounts I have read of the PM-3, this appears to be the case. And the build quality of all their gear is exceptionally handsome and understated.

Yeah, the PM-3 is pretty great. My favorite closed back yet. I'd say it's the portable version of the HE-500 in many ways. It has a little less air and mid treble, but it's very, very similar in the midrange presentation. It falls a touch short of the HE500 overall (mostly because it's a closed back), but I think most HE500 fans would like it quite a bit.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #16,536 of 20,386

Yea ive compared both the PM-1 and PM-2 vs my HE500, from a Oppo HA-1. To my ears, both the PM-1/2 are $1100/$700 headphones that are really only competitive in terms of fidelity to mid-fi cans like the HD600/650. You are paying a premium for the looks and build on the Oppos. I honestly didnt think it was close between the HE500 and the PM-1/PM-2. The HE500 did everything better, with higher fidelity overall, more detail and separation, speed and tactile bass response etc. And this was all from Oppo's amp designed to pair with the PM-1/PM-2. As always, YMMV.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #16,537 of 20,386
Yea ive compared both the PM-1 and PM-2 vs my HE500, from a Oppo HA-1. To my ears, both the PM-1/2 are $1100/$700 headphones that are really only competitive in terms of fidelity to mid-fi cans like the HD600/650. You are paying a premium for the looks and build on the Oppos. I honestly didnt think it was close between the HE500 and the PM-1/PM-2. The HE500 did everything better, with higher fidelity overall, more detail and separation, speed and tactile bass response etc. And this was all from Oppo's amp designed to pair with the PM-1/PM-2. As always, YMMV.

Its funny you say that about the Oppo amp/headphone pairing, as I was curious. I must admit my experience of the HE-500s through the HA-1 was more enjoyable to me than that of the HE-560, probably because the slightly warmer sig of the former pairs better with it.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #16,539 of 20,386
Beefed up the amp a bit tonight..

Went from the usual

to a couple more Watts... Musical Fidelity A5

Have to say I love speaker amps on Hifiman headphones. The extra horsepower does something magic with them, sounds absolutely terrific, the A5 is beautifully transparent. Very careful with the volume dial though!

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #16,540 of 20,386
I just picked up the he500 this week. And got them today. These cans are MAGIC. I'll be posting my thoughts soon, comparing them against my previous cans(HD650,700,&800). I can't believe that I wasted 150+ hours on my Valvo CCa's with the latter. The 500's in one word. NATURAL. Just my opinion only folks.

Cheers
:beerchug:

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #16,541 of 20,386
Hello,

I was impressed with the sound of this cans on a soundemo.
Now i wondering are they that heavy?
Im decifing between these and the recent he400S?
Both show much scalability.
Would like to complement the HD650.
Listen mostly electronic/house and genres which have rythm.
Thanks

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #16,544 of 20,386
Could someone make a comparision of these versus the 400i, same price.
Would like to have a opinion from he500 users too.
First question still unanswered!?

I did a pretty extensive comparison between the two. Just look up a thread called old-school versus new school.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #16,545 of 20,386
Planning ahead for my he500 purchase, but are there any ~$100 replacement cables that anyone would recommend?

Thanks.

The offerings from Dyson audio and Venus audio are both exactly what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back