HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #16,036 of 20,386
Alright HE500ers, I need some input. I'm looking for a low to midrange SS amp to pair with my NOS DAC for these guys (already have a Pan Am for the tube goodness). 

My two options are the Magni 2 Uber and a secondhand Corda HA-2.

Anyone have real experience with either of these?

I don't know those, but there are a few guys running the he500 off the gustard h10 and raving about it over on the gustard h10 amp thread.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #16,037 of 20,386
Alright HE500ers, I need some input. I'm looking for a low to midrange SS amp to pair with my NOS DAC for these guys (already have a Pan Am for the tube goodness). 

Hmm that HA-2 looks interesting. Meier is pretty respected, but that amp looks like an old model. I am not sure if that matters; in fact, it may be a good thing.

If going the Schiit route, I have heard great things about Magni 2 Uber. But why not the Vali?

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #16,038 of 20,386

Hmm that HA-2 looks interesting. Meier is pretty respected, but that amp looks like an old model. I am not sure if that matters; in fact, it may be a good thing.

If going the Schiit route, I have heard great things about Magni 2 Uber. But why not the Vali?

I dunno about the Vali. Usually tubes don't do well with planars, especially the OTL breed. It's a great amp though.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #16,039 of 20,386
I dunno about the Vali. Usually tubes don't do well with planars, especially the OTL breed. It's a great amp though.

It depends. Plenty of people use the Lyr and Ember with planars with good results. I really do not know because I have never heard Vali or any of Schiit's solid states. I really would like to though.

Edit: Vali is hybrid, not OTL btw. You may be thinking of Valhalla2, which is OTL and which works best with high Z cans.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #16,040 of 20,386

It depends. Plenty of people use the Lyr and Ember with planars with good results. I really do not know because I have never heard Vali or any of Schiit's solid states. I really would like to though.

Well some newer tube amps like the Lyr or Little Dot MKVI are designed for low impedance headphones so they deliver lots of current. The older ones, like most of the Little Dots or Darkvoice/Figaro are OTL and don't fair as well. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #16,041 of 20,386
Well some newer tube amps like the Lyr or Little Dot MKVI are designed for low impedance headphones so they deliver lots of current. The older ones, like most of the Little Dots or Darkvoice/Figaro are OTL and don't fair as well. 

Lyr and Ember are hybrid solid state and tube. You are correct about Little Dot and most otl amps. Oddly, the La Figaro 339 and Dark Voice 337 are well known for the ability to drive planars as well, but the lower models cannot. Several people in the 339 thread use HE-500s, and it is one of the major phones that headfonia used in its glowing review of the amp. I just ordered the LF339 so will be able to report back on that.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #16,042 of 20,386

Lyr and Ember are hybrid solid state and tube. You are correct about Little Dot and most otl amps. Oddly, the La Figaro 339 and Dark Voice 337 are well known for the ability to drive planars as well, but the lower models cannot. Several people in the 339 thread use HE-500s, and it is one of the major phones that headfonia used in its glowing review of the amp. I just ordered the LF339 so will be able to report back on that.

Unfortunately the 339 doesn't have any good specs for power output and impedance. It is OTL, I'm sure it's got enough current on high impedance that when it comes down to low impedance there's still enough, so hope it works out. Did you look at the Little Dot MKVI?

Also, without sounding too condescending, almost no one takes headfonia seriously. It's just so inaccurate.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #16,043 of 20,386

Edit: Vali is hybrid, not OTL btw. You may be thinking of Valhalla2, which is OTL and which works best with high Z cans.

I think Vali doesn't have enough power for driving low impedance planars like he500 and 560

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #16,044 of 20,386
Unfortunately the 339 doesn't have any good specs for power output and impedance. It is OTL, I'm sure it's got enough current on high impedance that when it comes down to low impedance there's still enough, so hope it works out. Did you look at the Little Dot MKVI?

Also, without sounding too condescending, almost no one takes headfonia seriously. It's just so inaccurate.

Oh I know. Yes, I did look into the IV. I researched a great deal about this, and to be honest I am not buying an OTL for my planars; its for my high Zs. That was just an extra perk. I already have amps with high current to grip the HE-500s with an iron fist :)

You should read over on the 339 thread about people driving the HE-500 with this amp though. Its not uncommon.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #16,046 of 20,386
I just looked at the specs. Yeah it's less than 1w. I thought it was higher for some reason. Magni would be more ideal then.

Hmmm, I use a Vali daily with my Slants, HE500, Code-X, HD800, etc...

The Vali hasn't had much problem driving any of these headphones. I rarely push the volume past 12 o'clock, maybe 1 o'clock for some classical. 

The Magni 2 does have more power, but I find the Vali to impart a better sound with the above combinations.  

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #16,047 of 20,386

I have the Darkvoice 3322 and it pairs well with my HE-500's but I'm extremely curious about the 339 seeing as it's supposed to be among the best pairings. It was supposed to be a bad pairing according to certain reviews.. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #16,048 of 20,386
Hmmm, I use a Vali daily with my Slants, HE500, Code-X, HD800, etc...

The Vali hasn't had much problem driving any of these headphones. I rarely push the volume past 12 o'clock, maybe 1 o'clock for some classical. 

The Magni 2 does have more power, but I find the Vali to impart a better sound with the above combinations.  

I believe it.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #16,049 of 20,386

I have the Darkvoice 3322 and it pairs well with my HE-500's but I'm extremely curious about the 339 seeing as it's supposed to be among the best pairings. It was supposed to be a bad pairing according to certain reviews.. 

The 339 and HE-500 a best pairing? I think the only person I've heard preach this pairing was that one european guy who wouldn't leave this thread alone. Generally planars sound best with an amplifier that can deliver a lot of power. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #16,050 of 20,386

The 339 and HE-500 a best pairing? I think the only person I've heard preach this pairing was that one european guy who wouldn't leave this thread alone. Generally planars sound best with an amplifier that can deliver a lot of power. 

Haha you probably mean hifimanrookie? He was using a Dark Voice 337 with upgraded components, which is a sister to the LF339.

To be clear, I hardly expect this to be the best pairing. Since HE-500 is already slightly warm, I am expecting the 339 to be almost too warm of a pairing. I so think you were correct when insisting that solid state (or a hybrid with a neutralish signature) would work best. If anything, I would be curious how my dad's more neutral, slightly brighter HE-560, would pair with the tubes.

There are some in the 339 thread who do think its a great pairing, but I shall remain agnostic until I can actually try out with the proper tube setup . As I said, this amp is for my Senns and possibly a future Beyer set in the future.

For HE-500, the pairings that first come to mind from a mid/price range would be something like Lake People G109, Meier Classic/Jazz, Audio-GD NFB-29/28, Lyr, Project Ember, possibly Mjolnir, Asgard 2, and so on. The new amp that is getting a lot of praise for driving planars with authority is the Gustard H10, which I just received from Massdrop and is a sort of clone of the Violectric 200. I am not at all expecting to prefer the LF 339 to this hitherto outstanding pairing (that is, with the H10).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back