HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #15,931 of 20,386
  Ahhh, I'm not that cruel.  I never thought I would utter this sentence with a straight face but - "It's as if a veil has been lifted."  I didn't reaIize how much the HM5's smeared the entire range.  Really only had about an hour to listen but so far:

1. Sub-bass is smmooothhhh - Notes that should trail off decay gracefully - I would describe it as round and full.
  2. Mids were the biggest surprise, much clearer articulation and seperation. Not quite "analytic" but heading that direction.
  3. Sound stage - much wider, threw me at 1st but after a couple of songs I love it.
  4. No sweaty ear syndrome after an hour :)

And yes that's the PC fan grill mod (easiest mod ever) + Fuzzor Mod + Recable to balanced.

Thanks, both for the quick review and not groaning at the pun on your nick 
wink.gif

All you wrote makes sense coming from the HM5 pads.  I'm curious what other pads you've tried with the HE-500s.  Both stocks, I'd imagine, but others as well?  Now I'm trying to justify the $60 outlay 
biggrin.gif
  My DIY pads and the AKG knockoffs both correct the flaws/shortcomings introduced by the HM5 pads to varying degrees (being different materials inside and out).  That makes it tougher to justify.  OTOH, how will I know if I don't hear for myself 
rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to further impressions, but go have yourself an awesome vacation 
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #15,933 of 20,386
BeatsWork
There is an entire thread on Fuzzor mod, not sure about grill mod but to answer your question both are fully reversible:

1. Gently pop out plastic retaining ring
  2. Pop out grill and cloth  (Concensus is that it's safe not to replace cloth)
  3. Measure your replacement grill against existing and cut to fit
  4. If using PC fan grill you will need to flatten end of wires so that retaining ring will go back on - I happen to have a bench vice which worked great but you could also tap gently with a hammer
  5. Install Grill and replace retaining ring

Well, sounds not wery hard to deal with it. I should try this mod as the last improovment trick, after cable retermination and buying new balance amp. If its stil will be not enough

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #15,934 of 20,386

Thanks, both for the quick review and not groaning at the pun on your nick 
wink.gif

All you wrote makes sense coming from the HM5 pads.  I'm curious what other pads you've tried with the HE-500s.  Both stocks, I'd imagine, but others as well?  Now I'm trying to justify the $60 outlay 
biggrin.gif
  My DIY pads and the AKG knockoffs both correct the flaws/shortcomings introduced by the HM5 pads to varying degrees (being different materials inside and out).  That makes it tougher to justify.  OTOH, how will I know if I don't hear for myself 
rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to further impressions, but go have yourself an awesome vacation 
beerchug.gif

1)  Yes - always choose alias carefully as you might just end up sticking around a forum and be stuck with it!  
2)  Only tried stock pads and HM5 - was not happy with either mainly for extended comfort vs SQ. So long ago I really can't make much a comparison :frowning2:

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #15,935 of 20,386

1)  Yes - always choose alias carefully as you might just end up sticking around a forum and be stuck with it!  
2)  Only tried stock pads and HM5 - was not happy with either mainly for extended comfort vs SQ. So long ago I really can't make much a comparison :frowning2:

I just ordered a pair. Thanks for the pictures! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #15,938 of 20,386
  Anyone else having issue that they are no longer receiving email updates on subbed threads? 

Not recently.  When I had that problem in Chrome (and maybe IE during testing), I found clearing "Cached images and files" and selectively deleting all "head-fi" cookies did the trick.

D'oh!  You said email updates.  Yeah, I had that problem recently using my netzero.net account.  When I changed it to another account, I started getting all the emails I'd been missing since creating my account.  I know that providers sometimes blacklist specific domain or services.  When that happens it takes the admins from both to get the block removed.  I have no idea if NetZero was blocking Head-Fi emails, but given that the change had immediate effect...

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #15,939 of 20,386

I just ordered a pair. Thanks for the pictures! 
biggrin.gif

I'm sorry.  I'm a bad influence!  Actually ThurstonX started it all with a post on the Mad Dog Leather pads so I'm going to blame him! 
biggrin.gif
   [And now you know why I try to stay away from anything with swappable Tubes!]  

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #15,940 of 20,386

Not recently.  When I had that problem in Chrome (and maybe IE during testing), I found clearing "Cached images and files" and selectively deleting all "head-fi" cookies did the trick.

D'oh!  You said email updates.  Yeah, I had that problem recently using my netzero.net account.  When I changed it to another account, I started getting all the emails I'd been missing since creating my account.  I know that providers sometimes blacklist specific domain or services.  When that happens it takes the admins from both to get the block removed.  I have no idea if NetZero was blocking Head-Fi emails, but given that the change had immediate effect...

Somehow Email notifications were completely disabled in my preferences tab around the 24th.  I don't think I've been hacked but if you suddenly start seeing witty and relevant posts under my Alias please let me know .....

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #15,941 of 20,386

I'm sorry.  I'm a bad influence!  Actually ThurstonX started it all with a post on the Mad Dog Leather pads so I'm going to blame him! 
biggrin.gif
   [And now you know why I try to stay away from anything with swappable Tubes!]  

What's next, Wife Swapping? 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back