HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #15,766 of 20,386

Don't think that's quite correct. The front end of both V181 & V200 amplifier sections employ opamps. From pictures it appears the drivers for the power transistors in the V200 are discrete, whereas the V181 may use opamps for this purpose.

Ok , it was just a general comment to highlight a difference between the two which are otherwise very similar
V200 , "
Discrete-design power amp with 8 transistors per channel "
Apologies for my lack of specificity

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #15,767 of 20,386

2: It's very interesting to compare this and the Magni 2 Uber.  On one hand, they seem a bit similar. Both power the HE-500s (and other headphones) well.  The mids on both are well delivered, but there is something to the Lyr mids that I can't put my finger on.  The word that pops in my head is natural, but I don't yet have a better way to explain it.  All I know so far is that I have listened to 7 songs, and each song I find myself smiling while I listen.  I'm sure if someone took a photo of me, I'd look silly.

3: At the moment, I seem to think there is better perceived separation of instruments and voices, but I need to A/B with the magni2u more to verify that. (Might just be me getting use to the HE-500s).

Make sure you use an A/B switch and Y cable the amps to a single DAC as the time required to switch cables would ruin an A/B test. Have fun with the new stuff.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #15,769 of 20,386
  Yea, I am going to order some y cables since I apparently don't any floating around.  Is there a recommended length to stay under?

Mine is a few inches long. If it was a foot long it would have no consequences. I'm sure you can get a Monoprice cable that would work perfectly.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #15,770 of 20,386
New HE-500 owner here.  Hello.  

Listening through the Modi 2 Uber --> Vali chain and loving it.

beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #15,771 of 20,386

Lyr showed up today.  I bought one of the "b" stock units that supposedly could have some sort of physical defect (scratch, etc), but it came perfect.  In the 30 min I have been using it I have found the following:

1: It's silent.  I mean silent.  I read threads of people with weird noises, etc. I have turned it almost all the way up (which is exponentially beyond listening levels) to hear anything. So, I am thankful I am not having such experiences. I even plugged in some other more efficient and lower impedance headphones, and it's still quiet.

2: It's very interesting to compare this and the Magni 2 Uber.  On one hand, they seem a bit similar. Both power the HE-500s (and other headphones) well.  The mids on both are well delivered, but there is something to the Lyr mids that I can't put my finger on.  The word that pops in my head is natural, but I don't yet have a better way to explain it.  All I know so far is that I have listened to 7 songs, and each song I find myself smiling while I listen.  I'm sure if someone took a photo of me, I'd look silly.

3: At the moment, I seem to think there is better perceived separation of instruments and voices, but I need to A/B with the magni2u more to verify that. (Might just be me getting use to the HE-500s).

4: The bass is just great.  Which, honestly, both amps do bass well.  Right now, it seems to "flow" between notes a little more, but staying detailed.  It will be interesting to compare on some electronica music, to see how it stacks against the M2U(which handles that stuff well).

5: Lots of power.  I am @ 10 o-clock on the dial.  It's pretty loud. (As confirmed by my wife sitting across the room 
darthsmile.gif
).

6: This thing gets toasty warm.

7: The combination of HE-500s and either amp exposes poor quality files rather plainly.  The Lyr does a better job of making those lower quality files still sound decent.

How long is the break in on this?

Choosing your amp does not have to turn into a scientific blind test, Hearing is different for everyone and if amp A makes you happy I would just stick with it.

When I got into the A-B ing things to deeply everything became critical listening and I lost the whole reason for listening, Everything became about the gear,    Enjoy

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #15,772 of 20,386
  Choosing your amp does not have to turn into a scientific blind test, Hearing is different for everyone and if amp A makes you happy I would just stick with it.

When I got into the A-B ing things to deeply everything became critical listening and I lost the whole reason for listening, Everything became about the gear,    Enjoy

One doesn't have to A/B on a constant basis. I do it, be done with it and if happy listen to music from then on.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #15,773 of 20,386
  One doesn't have to A/B on a constant basis. I do it, be done with it and if happy listen to music from then on.

Understood which is why I stated "to deeply, everything became critical"

Further if an amp makes you happy there is no reason to A /B it, just listen and enjoy, If one were on the path of building a system and had no idea of the Sound Signature they prefer, then A - B testing can be fruitful on all components.  It is easy to go overboard and loose site of the very reason for building a system " The Music"

I personally enjoyed going through different gear up to a point. When I was no longer able to continue the hunt I found I was stuck in a rut of listening to everything critically I also found some favorites were near unlistenable.  That mindset has taken quite awhile to move away from............

The journey did open my eyes to my preferred Sound Signatures and made choosing a headphone rig easier

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #15,774 of 20,386
  Understood which is why I stated "to deeply, everything became critical"

Further if an amp makes you happy there is no reason to A /B it, just listen and enjoy, If one were on the path of building a system and had no idea of the Sound Signature they prefer, then A - B testing can be fruitful on all components.  It is easy to go overboard and loose site of the very reason for building a system " The Music"

I personally enjoyed going through different gear up to a point. When I was no longer able to continue the hunt I found I was stuck in a rut of listening to everything critically I also found some favorites were near unlistenable.  That mindset has taken quite awhile to move away from............

The journey did open my eyes to my preferred Sound Signatures and made choosing a headphone rig easier

I found that most quality amps and DACs, which doesn't have to cost a fortune, will sound pretty good. Yes there are turkeys out there. Though IMO, it's the headphones that sounds very different and I place most of my energy in finding what sounds good to me as I believe that you can't turn a turd into a rose.
I have a saying, "Some people use music to listen to their equipment, I use equipment to listen to music."
Hmm, it's time to change my signature.....

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #15,775 of 20,386
I like my grill modded HE-500 more and more all the time.
Clear, punchy, energetic, dynamic, great bass and treble extension, and surprisingly great soundstaging and imaging.
I know it goes against the general consensus on Headfi, but I still like them better than my HE-560.
To my ears the HE-500 simply sounds more alive, more engaging, more dynamic, and sounds more extended in the top octave than my HE-560.
My HE-500 is also easier to drive.
My HE-560 sounds a touch thin, flat, and too reserved, compared to my HE-500, and perhaps slightly rolled off above 10 khz.
Keep in mind though, my HE-560's are bone stock, and my 500 is fully grill modded with no cloth at all.
The HE-560 may be a touch clearer and more open in certain frequency ranges, maybe a tad better soundstaging, and maybe more neutral than the HE-500, but I still like my HE-500 better...
Maybe its just my particular hearing and tastes?
My 500 is currently getting alot more head time than my HE- 560, Sennheiser HD 650, or Philips Fidelio X2, and that says alot :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #15,776 of 20,386
I like my grill modded HE-500 more and more all the time.
Clear, punchy, energetic, dynamic, great bass and treble extension, and surprisingly great soundstaging and imaging.
I know it goes against the general consensus on Headfi, but I still like them better than my HE-560.
To my ears the HE-500 simply sounds more alive, more engaging, more dynamic, and sounds more extended in the top octave than my HE-560.
My HE-500 is also easier to drive.
My HE-560 sounds a touch thin, flat, and too reserved, compared to my HE-500, and perhaps slightly rolled off above 10 khz.
Keep in mind though, my HE-560's are bone stock, and my 500 is fully grill modded with no cloth at all.
The HE-560 may be a touch clearer and more open in certain frequency ranges, maybe a tad better soundstaging, and maybe more neutral than the HE-500, but I still like my HE-500 better...
Maybe its just my particular hearing and tastes?
My 500 is currently getting alot more head time than my HE- 560, Sennheiser HD 650, or Philips Fidelio X2, and that says alot
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the 560 is cleaner/clearer and more detailed by a long shot.

That said, I prefer the 500 as well.

tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #15,777 of 20,386
I think the 560 is cleaner/clearer and more detailed by a long shot.

That said, I prefer the 500 as well.

:p

Just curious, if you feel the HE-560 is cleaner/clearer, and more detailed by a long shot, why do you still prefer the HE-500?

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #15,779 of 20,386
Mine were already grill modded when I bought them from another headfi member, so I wouldn't know how difficult it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back