HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 10, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #15,736 of 20,386
  My original Magni does a very good job of powering the HiFiMans. I've never been able to get past 9:00 on the volume knob, so I can tell it has a crapton of juice. Needless to say, I haven't heard em out of anything else, but I have no qualms about the pairing.

So, my Magni 2 Uber arrived today (but not my Modi 2U yet).  I am running a line out from my Mac Pro, into it until later this week when the DAC arrives.  I can tell you right now, with no doubt, this is so much better than the E09K setup.  I've now run the following scenarios:

Line out to E09K>He-500s. This basically sucks.  There is some bass and mids, but all the highs and detail are gone.  Really weird.  I don't know if the Aux In on the E09K isn't great, the line out on the mac sucks, or what.

USB>E17(dac)/E09K combo> HE-500s.  Way better than the first scenario.  This is good.  It's still mid/lo-mid heavy.  Basically a little to "thick" in those frequencies.  There is decent bass presence and decent highs.  Like I said, much better than the first scenario.

Today, I am running Line Out to Magni2U. This is better than E17/E09K.  Which surprises me a little.  I expected to have the same loss of detail as line out into E09K, but it's actually much better (I've gone back and forth a few times, thinking maybe I was crazy).  I do think there is a more detail with the E17/E09K (which I am assuming must be the effect of the E17, based on line out testing), but the whole audio signature is much better now. Punchier, engaging mids/highs, strong bass.  Just totally different, and great. The bass, the bass, wow.  It's so nice, but weirdly not overpowering.  I've never had a headphone like this. 

My hope with the Modi will be the added detail over the line out, but still have this extra punch and life.

All that to say, very happy so far. I could sit here all night, but my wife would not be pleased with that. I can't wait for my DAC to get here.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #15,739 of 20,386
The Modi 2 Uber showed up today, so the stack is together.  USB from computer to Modi, then using monoprice premium rca cables (beefy, well built, and cheap).  Listening to tunes now, i'll give a review after digging into this for a few days.

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #15,740 of 20,386
  @prez How about USB->E17->Magni 2 Uber->HE-500s?

I'll try that here in a bit.  Had to stop for dinner. :)

That was a long dinner. Now that your Modi has arrived, we'll never hear about this. Enjoy the tunes dude.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #15,741 of 20,386

That was a long dinner. Now that your Modi has arrived, we'll never hear about this. Enjoy the tunes dude.

Oops. I did spend some time listening with that config last night, but was too tired to post about it.  I found that the E17 definitely provided more detail and space than the straight line out from the mac, and the audio was a bit more exciting.  It's not a bad combo.

Although, I am frankly still surprised at how much better mac lineout>magni 2 u is than mac lineout>e09k. I tried going back and forth with those scenarios with a pair of Grado SR125s, and the difference is more glaring.

I do like my e17, and it will remain my mobile amp/dac for now (It pairs well with more efficient headphones/iems), until I can decide on a dedicated DAP. 

PS - the Magni/Modi devices are so small and light.  The RCA cable is stiff enough that I had some difficulty stacking the devices at first.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #15,742 of 20,386

Oops. I did spend some time listening with that config last night, but was too tired to post about it.  I found that the E17 definitely provided more detail and space than the straight line out from the mac, and the audio was a bit more exciting.  It's not a bad combo.

Although, I am frankly still surprised at how much better mac lineout>magni 2 u is than mac lineout>e09k. I tried going back and forth with those scenarios with a pair of Grado SR125s, and the difference is more glaring.

I do like my e17, and it will remain my mobile amp/dac for now (It pairs well with more efficient headphones/iems), until I can decide on a dedicated DAP. 

PS - the Magni/Modi devices are so small and light.  The RCA cable is stiff enough that I had some difficulty stacking the devices at first.

I'm not surprised. I've never liked the E09K.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #15,743 of 20,386

I found the E17/E09K decent with Grado headphones. It did OK with the HE-500s, but the M/M2U combo far exceeds in performance.

At some point down the road, I want to hear what these cans sound like out of a tube amp, like the Lyr.  I have no experience/exposure to headphone tube amps.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #15,744 of 20,386

I found the E17/E09K decent with Grado headphones. It did OK with the HE-500s, but the M/M2U combo far exceeds in performance.

At some point down the road, I want to hear what these cans sound like out of a tube amp, like the Lyr.  I have no experience/exposure to headphone tube amps.

I'm a big fan of the Lyr. With the right tubes, it really rocks.

I like the E17, too. Just not the E09K.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #15,746 of 20,386
I'm a big fan of the Lyr. With the right tubes, it really rocks.

I like the E17, too. Just not the E09K.

what tubes do you use? are they expensive/hard to get?  Tube world makes me nervous :)

Don't be nervous. It's actually super fun. The Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers thread has to be one of the most fun threads on Head-Fi.

My main personal tubes are on the expensive side ($300/pr), but don't let that discourage you... Some people claim tubes that cost half that or less are as good or better. The nice thing is, you can use the tubes to tune the sound to your personal preferences.

Since you asked, my personal tubes are 60's Telefunken E88cc's and my other main pair are 1962 Dario Miniwatt 188cc.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #15,748 of 20,386
Seems like now/soon might be the time to try a Lyr.  The introduction of V2 has made the current one available for $100 less.

Yeah, I do stuff like that all the time. I found mine "used-like new" on Amazon for $300, then applied for the Amazon credit card to get a promotional credit of $75. That knocked the price down to $225 (FYI - you don't actually have to use the card to get the promo $$). All said and done, I only paid about $240 after taxes.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #15,749 of 20,386
What are the sonic differences between the velour HE-500 ear pads and the pleather HE-500 earpads?

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #15,750 of 20,386

what tubes do you use? are they expensive/hard to get?  Tube world makes me nervous :)

Just keep in mind it's the same as buying a SS amp essentially.  You don't have to change the sound and it's just one approach to design.  Some tubes can increase the detail but I would be wary of ultra expensive tubes.  I'm not familiar with the Lyr tube rolling but I would suggest if you're thinking something could be a little warmer, or the stock tube is too warm.  

I personally like tubes to slightly change the signature to my liking without busting my wallet.  Sometimes that comes with an increase/decrease in detail but to me, the overall sound is more important as long as it doesn't come with a huge sacrifice.

Just be wary of expensive tubes that offer small improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back