HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #15,061 of 20,386
How well does the HE-500 block out noise when you have music going? Let's say you live in a relatively noisy house with younger children who have a habit of screaming and such downstairs. At above moderate sound levels (but still comfortable listening volumes) will the He 500 drown out that exterior sound? 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #15,062 of 20,386
Can you elaborate a bit on the differences between the sonics with the focus vs focus A. I have always been curious and when searching I find super conflicting stuff

Sorry. I have not tried the Focus A pads. Only Focus. Like you say there are mixed results/opinions on that matter, but in my experience there is just a very little difference between Focus and normal velour so I will not expect any mayor differences between Focus and Focus A pads. My advice: Choose one and if you are happy with it forget about the whole thing and enjoy the music.

Cheers!

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #15,063 of 20,386
  How well does the HE-500 block out noise when you have music going? Let's say you live in a relatively noisy house with younger children who have a habit of screaming and such downstairs. At above moderate sound levels (but still comfortable listening volumes) will the He 500 drown out that exterior sound? 

According to my wife I can't hear a damn thing with them on ....

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #15,065 of 20,386
Weren't you afraid to damage the headphones?

i have tried various headphones amp with this can, start from few mw to 10w and found out the more quality and quantity power i pump into this can, it kept scaling more and more so decided to try it with something more serious :))
heard some other guys are using he6 with master 10 so i assumed the he500 can also handle those kind of power since he6 and 500 are very similar in materials, at the end i think i was lucky that there was no trouble and the he500 performed really well on the master 10 :))

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #15,066 of 20,386
HE-500 barely isolates at all...

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #15,067 of 20,386
Any other gentleman with little to no hair rocking HE500s? Despite comments about comfort issues, I think that the amount of padding and natural curve is actually quite comfortable. Coupled with the focus pads, I am no longer distracted by the weight of these bad boys.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #15,068 of 20,386
Any other gentleman with little to no hair rocking HE500s? Despite comments about comfort issues, I think that the amount of padding and natural curve is actually quite comfortable. Coupled with the focus pads, I am no longer distracted by the weight of these bad boys.

Yep.  While I agree that they're not bad with no extra padding, I put one of those $10 soft wool headband covers from China on and I'm happy with it.  If the listening space is on the warm side, it might get a little warm up top, but I find myself not noticing it after a very short time.  Coupled with the new HM5 velours, I'm in hog heaven.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #15,069 of 20,386

Yep.  While I agree that they're not bad with no extra padding, I put one of those $10 soft wool headband covers from China on and I'm happy with it.  If the listening space is on the warm side, it might get a little warm up top, but I find myself not noticing it after a very short time.  Coupled with the new HM5 velours, I'm in hog heaven.

So who's getting more head time, the 560's or the 500's?

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #15,070 of 20,386

Link to the headband cover you are talking about? Also, how well do your HE-500s block out external noise when your tunes are going?

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #15,071 of 20,386
  So who's getting more head time, the 560's or the 500's?

Until I modded my HE-560s (yesterday and today), the He-500s were, as I was trying to decide between the two new HM5 pads (velours win over pleather for now).  Now it's HE-560s time for a while.  jerg's mods are crazy good, as is my implementation 
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #15,072 of 20,386
  Link to the headband cover you are talking about? Also, how well do your HE-500s block out external noise when your tunes are going?

Pick your poison:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520

Sure they do, if I'm blasting them 
wink.gif
  But as others have noted, when there are quiet parts, or the overall volume isn't up, I could hear my neighbors working in their back yard today.  I wouldn't look to any open cans for any real isolation.  I think that's just fantasy and wishful thinking.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #15,073 of 20,386

Pick your poison:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520

Sure they do, if I'm blasting them 
wink.gif
  But as others have noted, when there are quiet parts, or the overall volume isn't up, I could hear my neighbors working in their back yard today.  I wouldn't look to any open cans for any real isolation.  I think that's just fantasy and wishful thinking.

Thanks for the link! These look great! 

As far as isolation goes, I will make some type of fancy leather/insulated attachment for them for when it gets too noisy around the house

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #15,074 of 20,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back