HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 8, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #13,817 of 20,374
It is being replaced by the HE-560, which should be shipping in late June or early July.

Or HE-400i. They both have some similarities and differences with the 500s.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #13,818 of 20,374

No, unfortunately they're passive speakers so that's no good.  I'm trying to determine if there exists some sort of passive switch or pass-through component with a headphone tap that might be able to suit my needs.

I think the Mini-X thread also list a couple of mods where you can install a headphone jack on the front and implement a switch to toggle the output. Check out Robrob's posts.

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #13,819 of 20,374
I got my HE-500's this past Friday and love them - sound is/was amazing. I have been burning them in over night with a Aune T1 set to a little over halfway. Been listening to Santana and a few OSTs (The Last of the Mohicans, Halo (game soundtrack) & Sunshine). Woke up this morning and heard that they were severely distorting. Shut them down immediately. Let them sit for 30 mins until the T1 was completely cooled down and the headphones had a little time to rest - same thing. Mids/Highs sound ok but the lower end is nothing but distortion. Any ideas here? I have about 15-18 hours on them now. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #13,820 of 20,374
  I got my HE-500's this past Friday and love them - sound is/was amazing. I have been burning them in over night with a Aune T1 set to a little over halfway. Been listening to Santana and a few OSTs (The Last of the Mohicans, Halo (game soundtrack) & Sunshine). Woke up this morning and heard that they were severely distorting. Shut them down immediately. Let them sit for 30 mins until the T1 was completely cooled down and the headphones had a little time to rest - same thing. Mids/Highs sound ok but the lower end is nothing but distortion. Any ideas here? I have about 15-18 hours on them now. 

You sure that it isn't the T1? Try another amp with the HE-500's and another headphone on the T1.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #13,821 of 20,374
I just plugged them into my Harmon|Kardon AVR and watched part of a BluRay. No distortion. Although, I had to max the receiver out to get a decent level of sound - assuming its under powered for the headphones. Sounded fantastic! Is the Aune T1 not a good match for this headphone?

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #13,822 of 20,374
  I just plugged them into my Harmon|Kardon AVR and watched part of a BluRay. No distortion. Although, I had to max the receiver out to get a decent level of sound - assuming its under powered for the headphones. Sounded fantastic! Is the Aune T1 not a good match for this headphone?

The A1 should work as it's rated for 1W at 32 Ohms. The output impedance is 10 Ohms which could be a problem if the HE-500 wasn't an Ortho. Since the impedance is 10 Ohms you will not get the full 1W at the headphone, more like just over 3/4 W.  SQ is another issue that I cannot address.
Either the Harmon Kardon doesn't have enough power or has a large series resistor with the headphone output, which is bad for delivering power to low impedance cans and bad for cans with wild impedance curves.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #13,823 of 20,374

Quote:
  The output impedance is 10 Ohms which could be a problem if the HE-500 wasn't an Ortho.

Dammit Stan, I’m a newbie not a audiophile! (Star Trek reference 
blink.gif
)

The T1 has sounded fantastic up until now. This was the first time I noticed any distortion. Been burning them in for the past 2 nights and some use throughout the day. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #13,824 of 20,374
  Dammit Stan, I’m a newbie not an audiophile! (Star Trek reference 
blink.gif
)

LMAO.  Nice Trekkers joke, Bones
wink.gif
  FTFY.  I often feel that way when reading Stan's posts.

Hope you get your HE-500s sorted.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #13,825 of 20,374

Dammit Stan, I’m a newbie not a audiophile! (Star Trek reference 
blink.gif
)

The T1 has sounded fantastic up until now. This was the first time I noticed any distortion. Been burning them in for the past 2 nights and some use throughout the day. 

We'll have to send you to Star Fleet Academy to bone up on being an Audio Officer.
Maybe you're overloading the input stage of the T1, try dropping the volume of the source. Are you using the DAC or just the Amp? I hope you get the HE-500 sorted out, they are fantastic.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #13,829 of 20,374
  We'll have to send you to Star Fleet Academy to bone up on being an Audio Officer.
Maybe you're overloading the input stage of the T1, try dropping the volume of the source. Are you using the DAC or just the Amp? I hope you get the HE-500 sorted out, they are fantastic.

I am using the DAC via USB out of my computer. Volume on the computer is set to 85. Never moved it. Tried lowering it and no luck.... I am afraid my T1 isn't up for the HE-500's.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #13,830 of 20,374

I am using the DAC via USB out of my computer. Volume on the computer is set to 85. Never moved it. Tried lowering it and no luck.... I am afraid my T1 isn't up for the HE-500's.

Specwise it should work. Perhaps your T1 is not operating correctly. A $99 Schiit Magni can drive them, sounds good too, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back