HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 16, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #13,036 of 20,386
What is the cheapest HP amp....that do these cans justice.

When I say cheapest, I mean cheapest and still get the most out of these.....run them to pretty much their potential.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #13,038 of 20,386
  What is the cheapest HP amp....that do these cans justice.

When I say cheapest, I mean cheapest and still get the most out of these.....run them to pretty much their potential.

If you don't mind a little DIY for an adapter, Emotiva Mini-X will more than do the HE500 justice while meeting your cheapest criteria.  
biggrin.gif

Personally, I prefer Mini-X over Lyr strictly cuz of the sound of pricing.  One note though, the Mini-X will be for the HE500 alone while Lyr will drive other HPs quite well.  Plan ahead and decide.  Gluck.

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #13,042 of 20,386
  If you don't mind a little DIY for an adapter, Emotiva Mini-X will more than do the HE500 justice while meeting your cheapest criteria.  
biggrin.gif

Personally, I prefer Mini-X over Lyr strictly cuz of the sound of pricing.  One note though, the Mini-X will be for the HE500 alone while Lyr will drive other HPs quite well.  Plan ahead and decide.  Gluck.

This is why I chose the Emotiva mini-X a-100 too. That and I like that its a good match for my Denon AH-D5000's where as I have heard the Schiit Lyr is not.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #13,048 of 20,386
for anyone interested..i started a first impressions thread on my new rig (after some requests for it)...check it out..its my first real review so bare with me
wink.gif

tomorrow i will include the listening impressions...it was more work then anticipated..and u know me..i dont like half work
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/710504/blue-circle-pag-custom-headphone-amp

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #13,049 of 20,386
For those on a budget:

I just got the Mini-X and although it is good in comparison to just the AGD 15.32, I find the Topping TP60 better in everyway with the HE500s. The bass on the Mini-X extends a little further but the bass control of the Topping is better. The Topping sounds more transparent and spacious and more details come through. The mids sound less congested and have more zing on the Topping. I'm kind of a little disappointed with the Mini-X in comparison to the TP60. These are only initial impressions. I'll have the Mini-X as my main setup for a little while

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #13,050 of 20,386
  There's always frequency-specific imbalances with HFM drivers, just typically they are minor (maybe 0.5-1 dB difference, over a small section like say 2700 Hz - 3000 Hz). If you want to drive your OCD insane, use Sinegen and do a slow frequency sweep from 15 Hz to 20000 Hz and find out all the little imbalances and FR fluctuations of your headphones.

I've been playing with test tones on sinegen and I found out that the problem is my ears. I have "hearing imbalance" issues. I'd rather it was my equipment
frown.gif

Does anyone know how to fix it?
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back